: Something Dirty...

LS1Mike
10-09-10, 09:15 PM
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/229/filtery.jpg
The Cabin Air Filter from my Buick.
It was staring to smell a bit musty in the Buick. So I figured I would change it out. First time I have done it on any car. Man is smells nice and fresh in the car now.:thumbsup:

I will let you guess which one is the new one.

Stingroo
10-09-10, 10:09 PM
I spy Hot Wheels sheets.

EChas3
10-09-10, 10:15 PM
The only difference between men and boys
is the size & price of their toys!

LS1Mike
10-09-10, 10:26 PM
I spy Hot Wheels sheets.
It is my son's 5th birthday today.

Jesda
10-09-10, 10:30 PM
$5 if you lick the old filter

Stingroo
10-09-10, 10:38 PM
Ahh, then that's wrapping paper I see. Good choice :thumbsup:

LS1Mike
10-09-10, 10:40 PM
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4901/img0760pb.jpg

It's not actually touching....:)

Stingroo
10-09-10, 10:40 PM
You forgot to include your paypal address to RECEIVE that $5.

Night Wolf
10-10-10, 12:03 AM
The cabin air filter in my parents '98 Park Ave when I changed it 2yrs ago was even more nasty then that!

I think they are a great idea, not only does it clean the air going into the car, but it keeps all the duct work and everything else in the HVAC system cleaned.... the bad thing is how Americans neglect their cars so much, and it becomes a "forgetten filter" just like a fuel filter.

Jesda
10-10-10, 12:08 AM
It's not actually touching....:)

NO DEAL. :histeric:

Stingroo
10-10-10, 12:13 AM
Whoa, you mean there are filters for other stuff besides the engine air?!

[/typical American driver]

Night Wolf
10-10-10, 12:52 AM
Whoa, you mean there are filters for other stuff besides the engine air?!

[/typical American driver]

When I was in high school working in the kitchen of a nursing home, I worked with a ~22yr old (cute) girl who had a ~'98ish Maxima with 160k. Her tires were extremly low on air so on break we went to the gas station to fill up the tires... while we were driving...

"so whats that noise?" *clunking from bottom of car on slight bumps* "it sounds like the exhaust is loose..." "ohhh, something was hanging and dragging last week from the car"

"what about that noise?" *horrible screetching when brakes applied* "sounds like you need new brake pads" "ohhhh, can that wait?"

then we were talking about cars and she told me about her last car, a Sundance... "yeah so I was driving and that stuff for the engine ran out..... uhhhh.... i think it was anti-freeze..... is that important, cause then the car stopped and wouldn't start"

We finally get to the gas station and I ask her if she ever checks her oil level... "well I get an oil change sometimes" so I said I'll show her how to check the oil... "pop the hood"......."how?"..... I show her "ohhh, thats what that handle by my foot does!?!?"

Nissan has always been fairly neutral to me... but I really felt bad for that car, it was a tough car to put up with that. Another time she came into work with duct tape wrapped around the entire trunk/quarter panels... apparently she had a keg in the trunk, accelerated and it rolled back and busted the trunk latch.

This was a girl with a college degree too.... sadly, from other experiences since, this isn't too far from the same way many other "non-car people" think/act.... kinda makes me sad for all the trashed cars out there, and even more about all the used cars people buy.

ben.gators
10-10-10, 03:12 AM
I am curious to know how old is that filter? I am thinking about my cabin filter...

LS1Mike
10-10-10, 05:06 AM
I am curious to know how old is that filter? I am thinking about my cabin filter...
As far as I can tell it is original. That would make it 12 years old.

Stingroo
10-10-10, 09:23 AM
Yeah Rick, I know a girl like that here too. The funniest adventure was tire shopping with her:

"So, um.. I think I want to get some 20 inch tires cause those are cool."
"Do you know what size your rims are?"
"No, why? Does that matter?"

I try not to be rude DIRECTLY to people, but I really did have to laugh in her face there. I couldn't restrain myself.

drewsdeville
10-10-10, 10:12 AM
When I was in high school working in the kitchen of a nursing home, I worked with a ~22yr old (cute) girl who had a ~'98ish Maxima with 160k. Her tires were extremly low on air so on break we went to the gas station to fill up the tires... while we were driving...

"so whats that noise?" *clunking from bottom of car on slight bumps* "it sounds like the exhaust is loose..." "ohhh, something was hanging and dragging last week from the car"

"what about that noise?" *horrible screetching when brakes applied* "sounds like you need new brake pads" "ohhhh, can that wait?"

then we were talking about cars and she told me about her last car, a Sundance... "yeah so I was driving and that stuff for the engine ran out..... uhhhh.... i think it was anti-freeze..... is that important, cause then the car stopped and wouldn't start"

We finally get to the gas station and I ask her if she ever checks her oil level... "well I get an oil change sometimes" so I said I'll show her how to check the oil... "pop the hood"......."how?"..... I show her "ohhh, thats what that handle by my foot does!?!?"

Nissan has always been fairly neutral to me... but I really felt bad for that car, it was a tough car to put up with that. Another time she came into work with duct tape wrapped around the entire trunk/quarter panels... apparently she had a keg in the trunk, accelerated and it rolled back and busted the trunk latch.

This was a girl with a college degree too.... sadly, from other experiences since, this isn't too far from the same way many other "non-car people" think/act.... kinda makes me sad for all the trashed cars out there, and even more about all the used cars people buy.

I hate hearing stuff like this. Hell, last weekend I saw some retard driving down the road on tires that were wore down to the steel cords that were sparking against the concrete while driving down the freeway. I'll bet he never made it to his destination.

You know, you can chalk up a taped up trunk and a noisy exhaust to just plain not caring, some people don't, nothing you can do about it. However, neglect for brakes and tires just pisses me off. It's a complete lack of respect for yourself and others on the road to run around in a 4000lb missile when the means to stop or control the car are in disarray.

Whats sad is that many people will cart their families around in vehicles that are in similar condition as well without a seconds thought.

They need to make some more reliable tire pressure and brake pad wear sensors that disable vehicle starting or something.

People ignoring fuel filters or check engine lights really doesn't surprise me. But I always try to convince people to NEVER skimp on brakes and tires.

Stingroo
10-10-10, 10:26 AM
They need to make some more reliable tire pressure and brake pad wear sensors that disable vehicle starting or something.

This.

I actually just got back from the store, and this guys brakes were squealing SO loudly, I could hear them with my windows up, music on, and the sound of the car (FYI, the wagon is anything but quiet).When we got to a red light he was going too fast and almost didn't stop in time. He was halfway into the intersection by the time he slowed his heap down. It's a damn good thing he was first car in line. It could have ended pretty badly considering we were traveling at 50mph. I took back roads from then on. Not in the mood to lose my car to some idiot who's too stupid/lazy/cheap to maintain theirs.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-10-10, 10:33 AM
I hate hearing stuff like this. Hell, last weekend I saw some retard driving down the road on tires that were wore down to the steel cords that were sparking against the concrete while driving down the freeway. I'll bet he never made it to his destination.

You know, you can chalk up a taped up trunk and a noisy exhaust to just plain not caring, some people don't, nothing you can do about it. However, neglect for brakes and tires just pisses me off. It's a complete lack of respect for yourself and others on the road to run around in a 4000lb missile when the means to stop or control the car are in disarray.

Whats sad is that many people will cart their families around in vehicles that are in similar condition as well without a seconds thought.

People ignoring fuel filters or check engine lights really doesn't surprise me. But I always try to convince people to NEVER skimp on brakes and tires.

Now you know the frustration we have as service advisors/mechanics/service managers. We see all the shitty things people do to their cars, and we try to convince them of why it's bad, dangerous and needs to be fixed, but so many of them just don't care or don't want to spend the money.

Mike, how hard was it to do the cabin filter on your GS? I should probably take a look at mine as well.

Night Wolf
10-10-10, 11:11 AM
When going to tech school, I worked at Advance Auto.... ohhh the things I saw.

A lady bought a used Hyundai with 105k miles. She came in and said the engine was overheating, I went out and looked at it - under the oil cap looked like a milkshake, I told her I think the headgakset blew.... she said "but I just bought this car", I said.... well it's a used vehicle with over 100k miles she said again "no, its a new car, I just bought it from the dealer" This kind of stuff went on for a bit until she finally left.

So many people insisted that a parts store should automatically go out in our parking lot and fix their car, or that we knew exactly what was wrong with the car. Our store was one of the few really good ones, dispite an old neglected building. People specifically came to our store. I was really up to date on my GM stuff, the manager knew Hondas really well and some of the other folks knew other makes.

There is a certain chain of dealers in the Tampa bay area I will never, ever shop from, or reccomend. We had a mechanic, with his dealer uniform on, walk into the store and purchase the "headgasket in a bottle" junk. He paid for it at my register so I asked if he ever used that stuff before? He said "no, but it's worth a shot... we just got an old clunker in as a trade-in and want to unload it off our lot" I really couldn't believe it, I knew that stuff goes on, but to see it first hand.... and this wasn't Bubbas used car special either, it was a well established network of various makes, this particular dealer was Toyota.

It really makes me think when I buy used cars... I look over a car to much greater detail then the average person, which is mostly "is it shiney? does the stereo work?" but even then, some things can be harder to foresee, such as neglect and internal crap to engines and transmission - though there are ways of checking in general.

I was at that store for almost a year, and the amount of stuff I witnissed.... from the public being so stupid when it came to vehicle maintenace was beyond me. For that reason I think I'm glad I don't work on peoples' cars for a living and instead work on gov't aircraft.

LS1Mike
10-10-10, 07:41 PM
Mike, how hard was it to do the cabin filter on your GS? I should probably take a look at mine as well.
Chad it took about 5 to 10 mins. On the passenger side there is a big plastic screw and a plastic push pin on the plastic cowl. Remove those, remove the weather stripping for the hood about half way across, pop up the cowl, slide the old one out and slide the new one in.

GizmoQ
10-10-10, 10:19 PM
It was staring to smell a bit musty in the Buick. So I figured I would change it out. First time I have done it on any car. Man is smells nice and fresh in the car now.:thumbsup:
Mike,
Its not my place to scold you here in the open forum (I'll leave that to Destroyer). But just for the sake of posterity, and to hopefully save even one user of this forum a headache later on.

Always, Always, Always change all the fluids, and all the filters (air, oil, fuel,etc.) when you buy a used car! Unless the vehicle has a detailed repair and service history, you don't know any service history, so you have to start y.our own. My Jag had that kinda service history and it still blew the rear main seal 5000 miles after I got it.

You know, you can chalk up a taped up trunk and a noisy exhaust to just plain not caring, some people don't, nothing you can do about it. However, neglect for brakes and tires just pisses me off. It's a complete lack of respect for yourself and others on the road to run around in a 4000lb missile when the means to stop or control the car are in disarray....

I actually just got back from the store, and this guys brakes were squealing SO loudly, I could hear them with my windows up, music on, and the sound of the car (FYI, the wagon is anything but quiet).When we got to a red light he was going too fast and almost didn't stop in time. He was halfway into the intersection by the time he slowed his heap down. It's a damn good thing he was first car in line. It could have ended pretty badly considering we were traveling at 50mph. I took back roads from then on. Not in the mood to lose my car to some idiot who's too stupid/lazy/cheap to maintain theirs.

Funny so many of ya mention squeaky brakes. This is also a pet peave of mine. I can't stand it! that's why I put big brakes on my ESC and just changed the brakes again on the XLR. When my mechanic pulled them off he chastised me for wasting his time, "these pads aren't worn, they look brand new!" I told him to change them any way cause they squeak. When I showed them to my little brother he said they were barely worn, but the squeak was from the pads crystallizing under hard braking - guilty as charged. I'll try to break these in right.

Night Wolf
10-10-10, 11:43 PM
Funny so many of ya mention squeaky brakes. This is also a pet peave of mine. I can't stand it! that's why I put big brakes on my ESC and just changed the brakes again on the XLR. When my mechanic pulled them off he chastised me for wasting his time, "these pads aren't worn, they look brand new!" I told him to change them any way cause they squeak. When I showed them to my little brother he said they were barely worn, but the squeak was from the pads crystallizing under hard braking - guilty as charged. I'll try to break these in right.

A lot of people do not lube anything up when they do a brake job... all metal-metal contact points should have brake lubricant or anti-seize applied, as well as the caliper slide pins.

The e28 was screetching when braking, I thought it was metal on metal pads, but it wasn't. All I did was throw on some new Wearever Silvers (the cheap stuff), lubed everything up good, didn't even turn the rotors.... the vibration is still there (going to get rotors turned) but they don't make a single peep anymore.

You couldn't rough up the surface of the pads with sand paper and to break the glaze and then get them to bed in properly?

After driving the e28, it really is apparent how pathetic the brakes on the Jeep are. A big brake kit is in the plans for the future, but that is $1k that I'm not going to spend till its paid off.

I agree about used car though - I throughly go through it, all fluids and filters are changed, as a minimum... belts/hoses next then the normal preventative maintenace stuff.