Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Yet Another Problem, Steering Wheel Noise

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  alexillac 
#1 ·
Starting last night I noticed that my steering wheel began making a funny noise. This morning it was fine until about 30 minutes into driving. Whenever I turn either way, it whines (sort of). I can't hear anything outside the car, but inside it is pretty noticable. Ive read other posts similar but wanted some input, any idea?

2005 STS V6

#2 ·
Another thing, I drove my friend's STS, same year and everything, and his steering wheel is much smoother, meaning mine is harder.

#4 ·
So thats what you think it might be? Repair quote?

#7 ·
Alex, I agree that it might be temperature related because it only happens after the car is at what I call it's "normal operating" temperature. During my morning commute, the car is fine.

#10 ·
I have noticed that and that's what I do. I reduce the noise by only turning when the car is moving.

#12 ·
I don't think it is the pump. The noise I hear sounds like it's in the steering column. I've had my 05 for almost 3 years. Took it back to the dealer several times for the problem. Last time they did some lubricating...... w/o does not indicate where...... but the noise went away for about 2 years. Comes and goes but mostly it goes. I too just drive it.

#13 ·
So should I just thrown in some penetrating oil in there?

#15 ·
It was a bit low, so I put some more in there. Idk about the smell.

#16 ·
For those having the same issue, I will be taking the STS to a repair shop tomorrow morning to try and figure out what it is.

#17 ·
So I went to the repair shop, and the diagnosis was at least 1 bad motor mount, possibly a bushing in the rear end, and the steering wheel noise is yet to be figured out.I will be returning on Wednesday afternoon to do the repairs since they didn't have a lift available. I have no sort of warranty so does anyone know what this is going to set me back? By the way the guys there offered to bring me home since I will be carless then, no problem though, I'll be driving a 2007 Tahoe meanwhile.

#18 ·
Yes, I also think it's more the steering-column than the pump. The steering feel (hardness) is all the same with and without noise. And the noise also comes and goes but - as I wrote earlier - with some temp-relation. Winter is starting now and the temps beginn to fall, so I will monitor this...
but in fact, I go on driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.