: Oil filter location on V6?

LAC_STS
10-09-10, 05:52 PM
I know it's the canister type that you open and replace the filter part but where is it?

Thanks.

EChas3
10-09-10, 08:04 PM
Are all the 3.6l the same? I recall members telling us it's on top. (Drivers side?)

KRSTS
10-09-10, 08:06 PM
Mine is on top of the engine right next to the oil fill cap. There is a big nut that you can put a wrench on and screw off the cover. I have an 2008 V6DI. Don't know about earlier year V6s. When I change the oil, I suck it out of the dipstick tube with an electric oil changer pump. I never have to crawl under the car. I measure how much comes out and make sure I get out the 6 quarts. It takes a little wiggling of the tube, but its worth it. Done in 15 Min.:cool

LAC_STS
10-09-10, 08:15 PM
Thanks. I thought that's what I thought that thing was.

As for the pulling the oil out the dipstick I'll pass on that. I used to have to do that on my 350 vortec boat engine and it's a PITA.

I have an adapter on the oil drain plug now where I can hook up a hose.

AllGoNShow
10-13-10, 12:30 PM
Just get some oil on your hands and be a man ;) Just kidding. Make sure the new filter clicks into place before you tighten it on.

LAC_STS
10-13-10, 03:40 PM
Just get some oil on your hands and be a man ;) Just kidding. Make sure the new filter clicks into place before you tighten it on.

Lol. Thanks. I did it yesterday and man it was really easy. I didn't even have to put the car on ramps or jack it up.

Took me about 15 mins.

I found the oil at wallmart for $24 for a 5 qt jug. I got two of them for $48. The local auto parts stores want $29 for a 4 qt jug.

I saw they sell mobile 1 extended performance for just a couple dollars more. It says you can go 15K miles with it. I wouldn't do that but I wonder if i used that if it would help the oil getting black so early on.

AllGoNShow
10-13-10, 04:32 PM
Super easy, glad you figured it out, save you a bunch of money at the dealer over the years.

Good deal. Definitely do not run the oil for 15k but that would be better oil to run on the vehicle since they use those life monitors. I would still change roughly 5-7k for synthetic

EChas3
10-13-10, 09:26 PM
I would still change roughly 5-7k for synthetic

Use the recommended oil (check for the approved GM spec number) and the award winning OLM. Changing more often is a waste of money.

But it's your money, throw it away if you like.

turnerbend
10-13-10, 10:24 PM
Change my oil once a year. Need it or not.........

RippyPartsDept
10-14-10, 12:10 AM
the OLMS recommendation is when you hit 0% or once a year, whichever comes first

LAC_STS
10-14-10, 12:48 AM
the OLMS recommendation is when you hit 0% or once a year, whichever comes first

I drive my car a little hard but my I hit 0% at about 7K miles every time.

I would still change every 7K or when the monitor says 0 if I used the 15K stiff. Was just thinking it would be better and wouldn't get black in 500 miles like the regular mobil 1 does.

AllGoNShow
10-14-10, 11:55 AM
Use the recommended oil (check for the approved GM spec number) and the award winning OLM. Changing more often is a waste of money.

But it's your money, throw it away if you like.

I use better than the recommended oil on my vehicle and if you believe running your motor to 15k with black used oil is good then go for it ;)

It's your motor your going to ruin, it's your money your throwing away ;)

turnerbend
10-14-10, 02:44 PM
What's wrong with oil that turns black??? Had a new V W back in 1971 -changed oil start it up, warm it up and check for leaks. Shut it off, check oil level and the oil would be black. Ran that car for 222,000+ miles. Used Castrol oil.

AllGoNShow
10-14-10, 03:03 PM
Black is normally contamination of the oil, mostly due to fuel or depending on the condition of engine, dirt/debris. Anything mixed in with the oil (causing a color change) will also change the lubrication properties of the oil, leaving it for 15k is a different story.... Here is a picture that should help explain why you do not leave your oil in the motor that long :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/kansas-ix/IMG_0097.jpg

sdmfer
10-14-10, 03:49 PM
if its diesel thats a whole other story. oil in diesel engines turn black right away after a change. This is normal though. I agree to change oil at the recommended intervals is the way to go.

However, I used to have a 83 trans am that I went about 30,000 KMS without changing the oil (i was young). That motor still ran great with 300,000 KMS on it when I sold it.

AllGoNShow
10-14-10, 04:01 PM
The above picture isn't diesel, E46 M3 on using Mobil 1 ;)

Yes some motors will make it through and some won't. Most GM motors used to be built like bricks so I don't know if I would be comparing my 83 trans am with a strong 350 or 305 (i forget which is in those) to the weaker modern day V6's. My old 2.8 V6 in my 86 Camaro let go with 180k on the clock.

turnerbend
10-14-10, 07:29 PM
Black is normally contamination of the oil, mostly due to fuel or depending on the condition of engine, dirt/debris. Anything mixed in with the oil (causing a color change) will also change the lubrication properties of the oil, leaving it for 15k is a different story.... Here is a picture that should help explain why you do not leave your oil in the motor that long :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/kansas-ix/IMG_0097.jpg
That is extreme for a fuel injected engine with the proper filtering systems. Don't beleive this is from a daily highway driven automobile even at 20,000 miles between changing.

RippyPartsDept
10-14-10, 09:34 PM
yeah somethings up with that ... like the oil was never changed in 100,000 miles or something

malatu
10-14-10, 10:53 PM
I use better than the recommended oil on my vehicle and if you believe running your motor to 15k with black used oil is good then go for it ;)

It's your motor your going to ruin, it's your money your throwing away ;)

An old "car guy" said not to worry about black oil if you are within mileage and or time guidelines. But he also said ... "get it the hell out of your engine if it is colored brown!"

Anyone else hear anything like this?

EChas3
10-14-10, 10:54 PM
I use better than the recommended oil on my vehicle...

If it doesn't meet the GM Spec it's not 'better'. I'm not saying run 15k miles. Use the state of the art technology that makes it all so easy.

LAC_STS
10-15-10, 12:47 AM
Wow.

The question was whether to use MOBILE 1 "extended performance" oil and STILL change it at the same intervals.

Not to change it every 15K or anything. It's still mobile 1 so I'm sure it's GM approved.

AllGoNShow
10-15-10, 11:48 AM
That is extreme for a fuel injected engine with the proper filtering systems. Don't beleive this is from a daily highway driven automobile even at 20,000 miles between changing.

Believe what you wish, look up E46 M3 sludge, or E39 M5 sludge, when you see the amount of vehicles (yes daily driven) that are effected by this (probably 30-40% of all made in those years except the M5 since they are more enthusiast owned) then you will reconsider what you are saying. Mostly it is due to lazy people using BMW's recommend service interval and not doing it prematurely.

turnerbend
10-15-10, 03:56 PM
Believe what you wish, look up E46 M3 sludge, or E39 M5 sludge, when you see the amount of vehicles (yes daily driven) that are effected by this (probably 30-40% of all made in those years except the M5 since they are more enthusiast owned) then you will reconsider what you are saying. Mostly it is due to lazy people using BMW's recommend service interval and not doing it prematurely.
The BMW engine is of a totally different design. There are some case were drivers do not take care of the engines as should be. I would say that most Cadillac drivers do take care of the maintenance of the engine. Can you show a GM engine with this sludge build up?

AllGoNShow
10-15-10, 05:45 PM
Hah, if you think design has to do with oil sludge, you are wrong. Sludge is not caused by different designs, cylinders, pistons, heads, layout, it's caused by oil.

You think every Cadillac, because it is a Cadillac, has its motor taken care of?

First link in google for GM sludge;
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthread.php?439558-Need-help-on-oil-sludge-high-oil-pressure

I do not follow the GM sludge issue, I do follow the BMW sludge issue as it has caused numerous warranty claims and disputes as it is their recommended service interval. GM does not recommend the service interval to be that high but I would not depend on my oil life monitor to make sure the oil is in good shape when it wants oil changes at 10k. I assume since it is not recommended by GM that people who do run into sludge have to figure it out themselves since warranty will not be covered if regular maintenance hasn't been done, which is BMW is in such a shit because they recommended it.

2 different scenarios, same issue. Change your oil before 10-15k, even if its synthetic.

EChas3
10-15-10, 08:46 PM
2006 V6 use GM6094M 5W30. V8 use GM4718M 5W30 (Mobile 1 qualifies. You will be surprised what doesn't!)

RippyPartsDept
10-15-10, 09:17 PM
Dexos Will - and it will be cheaper than mobil1

turnerbend
10-16-10, 12:14 AM
NoGo,
It all about how the oil is routed through the engine (uniform heating and cooling), the oil usage, engine running temp, how the engine is able to heat up and cool down, how the fuel is injected to each cylinder. When cars had carburetor sludge was a problem due to unburnt fuel which was one reason for the 3000 miles oil change.
I have no problem with running my STS 6000 to 10,000 miles between changing or when the computer say to change it.. I do check the oil regularly.

From 05 STS manual>
When to Change Engine Oil
Your vehicle has a computer system that lets you know
when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on
engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on
mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at
which an oil change will be indicated can vary
considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, you
must reset the system every time the oil is changed.