: looking for a new radiator for my1990 brougham

pcm
10-09-10, 02:12 AM
lets start with i tried auto zone, plastic and no oil cooler fittings called orielys,napa then a dealer no help but dealer said its discontinued by gm the oil cooler lines are discontinued also found that out a few years ago so now what do i do its a 1990 brougham with 5.7l will post pix soon its really nice looking paint is green and changes to blue with white cloth top and trim but dont run so well ive changed plugs wires cap but still bogs down and sometimes it dies when first started like its starving for air or fuel but if i let it run for a few seconds and feather the gas it runs fine but uses lots of gas i have a parts car but friend of mine needed the radiator before i got this one so i took most of the sensors off it and put them on the new one but still uses lots of gas and dies at start ups some times please help its not my first brougham so i know how much gas it should use this one gets like 10 or 15 miles per gallon on the highway should be around 20 to 25 thats what my parts car got before gardrail jumped infront of me

jayoldschool
10-09-10, 11:53 AM
You will find that almost all replacement rads these days are aluminum with plastic tanks. They work fine. Any parts place can get you the correct one with the trans and the oil coolers, you just need to order the correct part number.

Please, in future posts: capitalization and punctuation.

RippyPartsDept
10-09-10, 01:11 PM
Hey, I saw a comma in there somewhere!

pcm
10-09-10, 01:43 PM
the rad i ordered from autozone was supposed to be the right one. they only had 2 to choose from, with or without oil cooler.so i got my money back and went elsewhere. they all had pix of the rad i needed but said it was unavailable and tried to sell me a rad that looked like autozone.which doesn't have the oil cooler.:banghead:

RippyPartsDept
10-09-10, 02:58 PM
local radiator shop should be able to help you out... or try a non-chain parts store

pcm
10-09-10, 03:04 PM
well i went back to autozone and had them dig deeper and i found one. the first time i ordered they looked past the one i needed because it said unavailable when stock is depleted. well turns out there was one somewhere but wont know if its the right one till wed. before i went back to autozone i called rippys parts department and they told me the name brand that last made the radiator and autozone sells it.

RippyPartsDept
10-09-10, 03:11 PM
yeah, i used the rock auto catalog to look that one up for you
hope it works out for ya

pcm
10-09-10, 08:11 PM
oh i didn't know i was talking to you on the phone and yes you are a huge help.:yup: i just took some pix of the brougham will post soon. now i need to get it running like a cadillac should.

RippyPartsDept
10-09-10, 10:48 PM
haha, i kind of got that feeling that you didn't catch me say my name when i answered the phone
it was good to talk to you
i hope you get this squared away soon

oh yeah, and pics - definitely pics

pcm
10-10-10, 01:40 PM
well here's some pix of the brougham i'm working on. its dirty though but wanted to post some pix asap. the interior was all blue so i took the trim and seats out of my white parts car. the front seat wasn't in good condition so it went to a upholstery shop. going to try the door panels myself . i will post clean pix on the thread for pix of cars

csbuckn
10-10-10, 02:25 PM
Nice, what size/kind rims are those? They would look great with some vogues. top looks new also.

pcm
10-10-10, 04:03 PM
they are 17x9 and they are vogues, they are just old and the white wall and gold line have been scrubbed off but the tread is still good and it needs paint so im not worried about the tires for now.i only paid $1700 for it but ive put a lot of work into it. windows didnt work radio didn't work air pump didn't work hood hinge was froze up and hood was bent up pretty bad i fixed all that. but still have a lot to work on.

pcm
10-10-10, 04:28 PM
the rims are a dayton style but not sure of the brand i do know they are cheap because the chrome is pealing off and they rust quickly but i try to keep them clean

brougham
10-11-10, 02:26 AM
When I needed a new rad a couple years ago all I could find was the plastic kind. It wasn't a problem getting one with the coolers in it. I wanted to keep the old rad to get it fixed but the garage who changed it out wrecked it. I should have just done the job myself but didn't have the time. They ripped me off in every way they could.

pcm
10-11-10, 11:15 AM
that's why i do most work i need myself. i work 12hr shifts so i have same amount of off days as work days. i hope this rad is the right one,and im keeping my old one so i can get it fixed

pcm
10-11-10, 04:23 PM
i put some jb weld on the radiator and its holding for now. i drove it for about an hr and it held but it only needs to last for 2 days i hope.the new rad should be in this wed. i hope its the right one.:yup:

pcm
10-12-10, 01:51 PM
well dang i went to autozone and the rad came in WRONG ONE again. :hmm:so i looked at the pix of the most expensive one from top view and the pix showed it had trans and oil fittings so maybe it will be the right one.

RippyPartsDept
10-12-10, 02:04 PM
don't you have a parts store that isn't a chain? or a radiator shop?

pcm
10-12-10, 03:11 PM
nope! the closest rad shop is in tulsa which is about a hour away if this rad don't work that's my only choice. I've seen on ebay some all aluminum rads but am afraid to order because if it don't work i gotta pay for shipping back.

csbuckn
10-12-10, 04:29 PM
That's what I was gonna suggest, just take some measurements and order an aftermarket aluminum one.

RippyPartsDept
10-12-10, 04:31 PM
what about a non-chain parts store?

pcm
10-12-10, 07:19 PM
the size of the rad isn't the problem it's the oil and trans cooler lines mine has both. the ones that ive seen and have ordered only has the oil or trans cooler not both. the only parts stores are the big ones no small ones they all went out of business there should be some in tulsa though

csbuckn
10-12-10, 07:44 PM
Maybe you could look up one for a caprice with both. I think they are the same size. A 9C1 caprice cop car.

RippyPartsDept
10-12-10, 09:37 PM
good idea ^^ i wonder if he'll just run into the same problem though...

PCM if you get frustrated with this i can make sure you get the correct one, you know that right?

RippyPartsDept
10-12-10, 09:39 PM
the double post bug strikes again!

csbuckn
10-12-10, 09:58 PM
Or you could just get an external tranny cooler and solve all problems.

RippyPartsDept
10-12-10, 11:38 PM
yup, that's an option too

pcm
10-13-10, 09:14 AM
if this one isn't right ill probably order one from rippy. while i was at work last night i thought about getting a external trans cooler but would rather have the right rad. i know there's one out there somewhere.

jayoldschool
10-13-10, 01:19 PM
Mom's 91 Caprice has both oil and trans coolers in the rad.

csbuckn
10-13-10, 01:41 PM
Here's one. I called...it has tranny and oil lines, all aluminum.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-1991-CADILLAC-BROUGHAM-RWD-ALL-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-/270560008682?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3efea219ea

pcm
10-13-10, 04:01 PM
i like that rad better all alum would cool better

pcm
10-13-10, 04:23 PM
i called the ebay store about that rad and it doesn't have both just the oil cooler.so i asked about a caprice 9c1 and he said it shows to have both but its a little smaller, mines 30" the 9c1 is 28". i'm sure i could make it work but i called autozone and the rad came in so i had them check to see if it had both oil and trans cooler and it does so i think i found one finally.

pcm
10-13-10, 04:58 PM
i drove down to look for my self its the right one plastic though:(.i'm sure i wont have any problems with it.its going in tomorrow because i have to work tonight.

RippyPartsDept
10-13-10, 10:27 PM
plastic side tanks? don't worry about that - by any chance you could tell me the brand and the part number? I think this one even has our two radiator shops stumped - one hasn't even called me back... the other said they'd call me tomorrow after getting their source to double check the coolers on both front and rear of that passenger side tank, and I spent over 10 minutes with him on the phone as he tried to look it up.

At first he only saw the 307Y/5.0L engine's radiator - after I convinced him to look for the 5.7L and made it clear there was only coolers in the passenger side (front and back side) it still took him a while to pull up the listing. - this is the guy who's called out to his source for confirmation.

so back to you - was it the right one?

pcm
10-14-10, 10:47 AM
the rad is a spectra premium 6.25x38.5x22.25 433153 item#cu153 customer#091470. when my car cools off i will be installing it.i just got off work.

RippyPartsDept
10-14-10, 02:09 PM
so i heard back and they have an 'all aluminum' radiator but it's probably more than twice what you paid for that one...

thanks for the info - good luck