: Just curious...

creeker
10-09-10, 12:52 AM
what year were remote control conveniences ( r.k.e. etc) introduced
to the automotive world ?, mainly to north america.

Playdrv4me
10-09-10, 01:08 AM
From Wikipedia: "Remote keyless systems first began appearing as an option on several American Motors vehicles in 1983, including the Renault Alliance. The feature gained its first widespread availability on General Motors' W-platform vehicles (the Buick Regal, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and Pontiac Grand Prix) in 1989."

I know our 1992 STS had it but it wasn't working.

creeker
10-09-10, 01:27 AM
From Wikipedia: "Remote keyless systems first began appearing as an option on several American Motors vehicles in 1983, including the Renault Alliance. The feature gained its first widespread availability on General Motors' W-platform vehicles (the Buick Regal, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and Pontiac Grand Prix) in 1989."

I know our 1992 STS had it but it wasn't working.

I had two 92 eldo's with remote, they both worked, I would have guessed it would have been before 1983, thanks.

Aron9000
10-09-10, 01:37 AM
My friend had an early 90's GMC Jimmy(S10 Blazer), it was 4 door, boxy body style, no airbag, but it had keyless entry, leather seats, digital dash, and a CD player. All pretty cool stuff back then, but that truck was a total POS lemon.

I know on the full size RWD Cadillacs, keyless entry didn't come around until the new rounded 1993 restyle.

Mercedes Benz used a weird system on their early keyless entry cars. There was a sensor on the door handle, and you pointed the fob at the door handle and pushed the button to unlock/lock the doors. The fob also had the key, it flipped out like a switchblade.

EcSTSatic
10-12-10, 10:06 AM
I prefer the keyless keypad entry like my '88 TurboCoupe had. I could leave everything, including the keys in the car. Nice when you don't want the baggage at the gym or similar places.

Stingroo
10-12-10, 10:17 AM
Yeah. Those door key pads from Ford are a nice thing. My mom had a '94 Taurus that had them, and it was soooooo nice in the winter in Maine. Granted, remote start like my dad's Maxima had would have been even better, but hey. You get what you get. :p

Playdrv4me
10-13-10, 02:51 AM
Yeah. Those door key pads from Ford are a nice thing. My mom had a '94 Taurus that had them, and it was soooooo nice in the winter in Maine. Granted, remote start like my dad's Maxima had would have been even better, but hey. You get what you get. :p

Amusing thing about those Ford keypads (which disappeared at one point and then returned after IMMENSE customer demand) is that it was always easy to figure out the code of anyone who used it with any regularity, since the buttons would show wear quite easily with any sort of regular use.

As far as remote ignition, I have to give GM credit for FINALLY bringing that out of the aftermarket and a little more main-stream. With all the legal red tape that I figured could surround that, I thought we'd never see a manufacturer implement that in any mass market form.

Stingroo
10-13-10, 09:35 AM
Yeah, that's true. It's a great thing. Makes cold starting even EASIER. Dad used to start the car from his bedroom. lol

The-Dullahan
10-14-10, 02:42 AM

The Grand Marquis had those and currently, the Expedition has those too. Interestingly, nobody knows the code for the Expedition, so I have no idea why they are there.

I have seen a payphone keypad installed in a similar fashion onto a car door. Looked a billion times better, especially since it was rigged with wires and what appeared to be explosives. Instantly adds The Horsepowers to any car.