: Rear Drum Brakes and Parking Brake

HUF
10-08-10, 09:56 PM
As I described in another post, I have replaced the both wheel cylinders rand flushed the brake system on my RWD. It appeared the parking brake did not hold the car on an incline. Finally, had a chance to see what was going on and make adjustments per manual. Depressed the brake lever per the FSM three inches and adjusted the adjustment nut at the equalizer. The manual recommends to tighten the nut until the right wheel rearward with two hands but cannot be turned forward. Interestingly, I could turn the wheel forward but not rearward! So I went ahead and adjusted the nut so I could not turn the wheel at all. Stopped the car on the incline (some 20 degrees), shifted to neutral, depressed the parking brake pedal all the way down, released the regular brake pedal ad the car slowly moved down. There was some braking, but just not enough to hold the car still. What should I do next? It is not a nice feeling knowing you do not have parking brake. Still better to be aware though. LOL

drmenard
10-08-10, 11:48 PM
You did not say you put on new brake shoes or drums... If the wheel cylinders were leaking that means the brake shoes got brake fluid on them.. I have seen guys burn them with a torch to clean them , but I just put new ones... If there is any fluid on the shoes , this could be your problem...I bet new shoes and drums will cure your problem...

HUF
10-08-10, 11:59 PM
No shoes still had a lot of life, so I left them alone. All started with flushing the brake system. I noticed some sludge in wheel cylinders accumulated in 15 years, so I just replaced the wheel cylindrs since they are not expensive. The drums and the shoes were cleaned and were dry.

carnut
10-09-10, 04:24 AM
Drum brakes are designed to clamp the drum and stop forward rotation. The cable only moves one of the two shoes within the drum. They are not as effective clamping the other direction. I assume the shoes were adjusted with the star adjuster so as to slightly rub the drum surface, THEN the park brake equalizer is adjusted as per the FSM. Too much clearance between the shoes and the drum without the brakes applied lessens the leverage of the park brake pedal. The parking brake cables should be adjusted to stop the forward rotation of the wheel as you rotate the wheel by hand, then backed off so the wheel rotates forward with a slight drag. Parked on an incline, front of car up hill, you turn the front wheels into the curb as well.

N0DIH
10-10-10, 02:05 PM
Got the right shoes on front/back of the axle? The thicker lining shoe goes on back. And IIRC the longer lined shoe also goes on back. Switch them and it won't brake properly.
As I described in another post, I have replaced the both wheel cylinders rand flushed the brake system on my RWD. It appeared the parking brake did not hold the car on an incline. Finally, had a chance to see what was going on and make adjustments per manual. Depressed the brake lever per the FSM three inches and adjusted the adjustment nut at the equalizer. The manual recommends to tighten the nut until the right wheel rearward with two hands but cannot be turned forward. Interestingly, I could turn the wheel forward but not rearward! So I went ahead and adjusted the nut so I could not turn the wheel at all. Stopped the car on the incline (some 20 degrees), shifted to neutral, depressed the parking brake pedal all the way down, released the regular brake pedal ad the car slowly moved down. There was some braking, but just not enough to hold the car still. What should I do next? It is not a nice feeling knowing you do not have parking brake. Still better to be aware though. LOL

HUF
10-10-10, 05:01 PM
NODIH, I cannot say if there is or should be difference in the thickness of the lining, but the shoes with shorter lining are on the front side of both rear brakes. I remember on my 1991 Seville with disc brakes all around I could pump the parking brake pedal a few times, there is no pumping on this RWD car with rear drums.

HUF
10-10-10, 05:05 PM
Carnut, thanks for the reply. Yes I have adjusted the star adjuster prior to the parking brake adjustment. I can stop the car at some 10MPH, but it still does not hold it on a 20 degrees incline in bot up and down directions... Looks like I need to tighten the equalizer nut more as long as it does not result in dragging when the parking brake lever is released. I did the procedure when the lever is depressed 3 inches (per FSM), will probably do it at 2 inches and see what happens.

N0DIH
10-10-10, 11:44 PM
Pumping the brakes in reverse also adjusts the brakes too.

I always take my die grinder to the edge of the drum to get ride of the ridge so I can get a good fit on the brake adjustment.

Are the drums out of spec? That will mess up the e-brake too.

HUF
10-11-10, 12:21 AM
Pumping the brakes in reverse also adjusts the brakes too.

I always take my die grinder to the edge of the drum to get ride of the ridge so I can get a good fit on the brake adjustment.

Are the drums out of spec? That will mess up the e-brake too.
Honestly, I did not measure the drums, but there are only 93,000 miles on them, the shoes have a lot of life in the linings, so I ASSUME the drums are still fine.

N0DIH
10-11-10, 01:02 AM
should be, reasonable assumption
Honestly, I did not measure the drums, but there are only 93,000 miles on them, the shoes have a lot of life in the linings, so I ASSUME the drums are still fine.

HUF
10-11-10, 01:36 AM
NODIH,

Just out of curiosity, try to hold your Fleetwood on a moderate incline with parking brake, see if it works.

N0DIH
10-11-10, 03:26 AM
I would, but I haven't had mine on the road in 2 years, so no plates, can't really go drive it. I can set it in the driveway and push on it, but that is about it. But the friction of the rusty drums might toss that off too.

HUF
10-11-10, 06:28 AM
I would, but I haven't had mine on the road in 2 years, so no plates, can't really go drive it. I can set it in the driveway and push on it, but that is about it. But the friction of the rusty drums might toss that off too.

Then please do not disturb her! lol Someone else with daily driver Fleetwood will chime in probably and share his experience. Thank you.