: Performance upgrades?

Mason H
10-08-10, 12:10 AM
I am wanting to get a little more oomph out of my cadillac lol. What are some upgrades i can do to get some more respnse from it? I do understand it is roughly 5,000lbs, but with the 500 i would think i could get some pretty decent response from it. Its not bad now, definitely better than my 164cid Corvair i had.

I was thinking about putting on a glasspack and maybe new intake? Not sure how much that would help. Or if the glasspack would sound good. I ha done on my Corvair that sounded pretty good. Would a Flowmaster or turbo muffle be a better idea for a nice rumble?

csbuckn
10-08-10, 12:18 AM
Intake and exhaust. Probably wouldn't do glasspacks, turbo mufflers sound good.

sven914
10-08-10, 11:15 AM
Improve the air flow through the engine to maximize it's power. A less restrictive intake and wider exhaust pipes help the engine to move more air, so get a wider cold air intake and get rid of the catalytic converter.

The 500, when it first came out was capable of 400 hp and 525 lb-ft of torque. By '75 it only produced 210 hp and 380 lb-ft. The drop in output is due to a drop in the engine's compression (10:1 in '70/ 8.5:1 in '75) and the addition all of those power robbing emissions gadgets. If you are serious about this car and making it as powerful as it should be, you could rebuild the engine with the 10:1 compression and remove all of the emissions reducing crap, and have all of those 400 horses.

Mason H
10-08-10, 06:53 PM
I live in an area where we dont need emissions so i am thinking about taking out the cat. But instead of welding in pipe in its place or something could i just put a muffler of equal length right there to simplify things? Or would having it in front of so much tubing make it a bad choice.

I will probably also take off the emissions crap in front of the air intake. It isn't even connected at the moment.

I wont be doing a motor rebuild because i am only 16, so not a lot of money, and i dont know that much about engines to do it myself. But the exhaust and intake should be a piece of cake.

Stingroo
10-08-10, 07:00 PM
Just put a section of pipe. It'd be cheaper. And nah, no glasspacks. While I LOVE the way they sound - they certainly aren't very Cadillac.

outsider
10-08-10, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't put a muffler in place of the cat...but that's just me.

You can get a flanged pipe of the right length and put it in place probably...but having a pipe welded in place is the way to go.

Mason H
10-08-10, 07:36 PM
good thing i happen to be a welder lol. So i can just weld in a piece of straight pipe or should i try to bend it a little because there is a slight bend there.

turbo mufflers are about the same price as a glasspack so i think i will go that route.

Fleet
10-10-10, 09:04 PM
Improve the air flow through the engine to maximize it's power. A less restrictive intake and wider exhaust pipes help the engine to move more air, so get a wider cold air intake and get rid of the catalytic converter.

The 500, when it first came out was capable of 400 hp and 525 lb-ft of torque. By '75 it only produced 210 hp and 380 lb-ft. The drop in output is due to a drop in the engine's compression (10:1 in '70/ 8.5:1 in '75) and the addition all of those power robbing emissions gadgets. If you are serious about this car and making it as powerful as it should be, you could rebuild the engine with the 10:1 compression and remove all of the emissions reducing crap, and have all of those 400 horses.
Actually, the '70 500 engine made 550 lbs-ft of torque... the '68-'70 472 was the one rated at 525.

Also, don't forget that the 210 hp and 380 lb-ft ratings were net, not gross like 400 hp and 550 lb-ft torque were.

Anyway, I would add dual exhaust, a shift kit and a lower rear axle. I did all three of those to my '69 Fleetwood Brougham (the rear differential was changed from 2.94:1 to 3.21:1). The car now does 40-60 mph in 3.7 seconds (Motor Trend's test car, a stock '69 Coupe de Ville, took 4.9 seconds).