: New EXT owner - wondering about value.

Torpedo
10-07-10, 09:00 PM
Hello everyone. Just bought a 2002 EXT earlier this week. I owned an 07 Avalanche prior and thought it was the best truck i'd ever owned. My only complaint was it felt a little anemic in the power department. I figured the Caddy with the 6L would be perfect. So far, it feels great.

I shopped for a while before purchasing and when i found a truck in my price range i jumped on it. As stated, its an 02 with 66k miles and i paid $15500. Its a 1 owner with a clean car fax. It has a lot of paint imperfections including 3-4 hail sized dents.

So what is the collective opinion? Did i do ok or did i get ripped?

luxurylife33
10-07-10, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't say you got "ripped off" but you definitely paid full blown retail. You should have at least had the dents fixed for that price. the 02's aren't the same value as the 03-06.

Torpedo
10-07-10, 11:32 PM
I think thats why im having such buyers remorse. I think thats why i posted... I was phishing to hear i did the right thing. I love the truck but I know I paid retail for it. I think I got overly excited when i saw the mileage. Most of the EXT's in that range where i live either have well in excess of 100k miles OR theyre thugged out and i wanted nothing to do with them.

I'll have a good time making this one my own. I just hope i dont have too many mechanical issues with it.

Gale Hawkins
10-08-10, 05:51 PM
I think thats why im having such buyers remorse. I think thats why i posted... I was phishing to hear i did the right thing. I love the truck but I know I paid retail for it. I think I got overly excited when i saw the mileage. Most of the EXT's in that range where i live either have well in excess of 100k miles OR theyre thugged out and i wanted nothing to do with them.

I'll have a good time making this one my own. I just hope i dont have too many mechanical issues with it.

Torpedo I would not beat myself up over your deal. You paid more like Private Sell price for an EXT in Good condtion.

Some do not realize how much used vehicle prices have surged over the past year.

Since your EXT was sold new the MSRP has increased by some $20,000 eight years later for a similar new one.

I was the the market for an older Navigator in about 6 months but stopped at an area Ford dealer to get some current pricing levels for used stuff. They had none but did have the 2003 standard Escalade with 102K miles. They were asking $17K and I would drive it home to show the wife but then came down to $14.5K to get me to drive it but I told them was going to buy more at wholesale so they could be thinking about what they would take for if the wife liked it.

That was 11 AM and I returned about 3 PM after we put about 70 miles. They wanted my offer and I said $12K knowing they should have no more than $10K-$11K max. They said $14K and I said $12.5K and the sale when dead.

I talked with the salesman about our similar backgrounds and started to leave since they were about to close. He asked if he could get if for $13K would I take it. They had had it over 90 days so I expected it was going to be yes. It was so we bought it right at Private Sell value.

Used vehicles that are new looking are hard to find and harder to buy in our area.

I say in today's market finding a low mileage Escalade that has not been tricked out is worth a couple $2K more for a long term keeper.

Old Guy
10-09-10, 09:56 AM
Yeh dont feel bad, I chased my '05 ESV at the auction for almost a month and a half because the dealer selling it wouldnt come off their ridiculously high reserve price. I ended up catching it for 18500 w/79K miles which is high, but its a one owner, college moms ride who traded it in for a new caddy at a caddy dealership(who was selling it for the same reason, more than 90 on the lot). No scratches, no dents just some dirty carpet... all service done through her local caddy dealer, runs perfect so far so good. I paid a bit high for it especially rolling through the auction but as you said its hard to find a clean low mileage non pimped out escalade. If it is what you wanted then be happy after all no matter what its still better than having paid the full retial price for the thing when it was new. Mine stickered at $64K with nav, sunroof, backseat entertainment bs and whatever. To loose over $45G's in 5 years is a sickening waste of money.

bstiffmanofsteel
10-09-10, 11:35 AM
I traded in my 02 Escalade a few weeks ago and they sold it the next day I believe for $17,500 with 87k. I left a Pioneer Avic F900BT and the headrest monitors in it. Either way I think the get the new owner for 3 or 4,000...

Gale Hawkins
10-09-10, 12:14 PM
I noted the list price on our standard Escalade is like $21K higher for a 2010 than our 2003. That kind of inflation jacks up the price of the used ones.

RippyPartsDept
10-09-10, 12:48 PM
one thing to watch out for is the rear air ride shock absorbers... if the bladder dry-rots you'll be spending at least a few hundred dollars each to replace
we have an 02 ext for our roadside vehicle and when that happened to us we tried to use regular shocks but they just don't work as well since he's got hundred of pounds in tools and batteries in the back
we eventually switched back to OEM (went with used parts i think)

i can't really think of any other big ticket items for that vehicle though

sk7
10-09-10, 12:52 PM
I went the fixer-upper way on my 02. Paid $3500 for the truck, salvage title (roof damage). After all was said and done, total cost works out to $12K. I think its overpriced for a salvage title vehicule, and its a good thing I did all the work myself, else final price would be over $20K!!! But I'm happy with it. New paint, tires, brakes all around, rear shocks, windshield, drives like new. Its hard to get a good feel online for a vehicule value. No matter how cheap you got it, someone will come along to tell you it was too much and that their buddy's brother got a better deal for $5K less than you paid for. If you got no EBCM, air ride or drivetrain issues thats a big plus and worth $$$ imo. You've come to the right place for info on any future issue you might have. Welcome and post pics!