Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Installing starter 2005 sts

35K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  raysmythe 
#1 ·
Do anybody havre instructions on installing a starter in a 2005 sts? Found out from the dealer my stater is bad. Thank you for your help.

#2 ·
Is it a V6 or V8? I know the V8's starter is up top, under the plenum, not sure about the V6..

It sounds scary to have to get into the engine to change the starter but, a lot of people say if you're doing it in your driveway, it's probably easier than trying to get underneath for a conventional one ;)

#5 ·
Two bolts, looks easy in the service manual; no special tools.
From the manual:

Starter Motor Replacement (LY7)
1. Turn the ignition off.
2. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
3. Remove the starter solenoid electrical connector from the starter
4. Remove the starter terminal nut and the battery positive cable from the starter
5. Remove the starter motor bolts.
6. Remove the starter motor.

note: when installing new starter torque value is 37 lb/ft

#8 ·
It's a fairly difficult job, exhaust to come apart and off,O2 sensor to unhook,starter wiring, I had a hard time,next time I will foot bill and go to Dealer,there is a special engine lifting procedure which makes the job a snap compared to laying on your back in the gravel. Good Luck.

#9 ·
Cadillac 2007 STS V6 Replace Starter
------------------------------------

You will need to remove the left hand catalytic converter.

Here is how this procedure is to be done.

Turn OFF the ignition.

Disconnect the battery negative cable.

Remove the left catalytic converter.

Remove the starter solenoid electrical connector from the starter.

Remove the starter terminal nut (1) and the battery positive cable (2) from the starter.

Remove the starter motor bolts.

Remove the starter motor.

Install the starter motor.

Install the starter motor mounting bolts.

Tighten the starter motor mounting bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Install the battery positive cable (2) to the starter and install the starter terminal nut (1).

Tighten the battery positive cable nut to 13 N·m (115 lb in).

Install the electrical connector to the starter solenoid.

Install the left catalytic converter.

----------

You will need to remove the left hand catalytic converter.

Here is how this procedure is to be done.

Turn OFF the ignition.

Disconnect the battery negative cable.

Remove the left catalytic converter.

Remove the starter solenoid electrical connector from the starter.

Remove the starter terminal nut (1) and the battery positive cable (2) from the starter.

Remove the starter motor bolts.

Remove the starter motor.

Install the starter motor.

Install the starter motor mounting bolts.

Tighten the starter motor mounting bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Install the battery positive cable (2) to the starter and install the starter terminal nut (1).

Tighten the battery positive cable nut to 13 N·m (115 lb in).

Install the electrical connector to the starter solenoid.

Install the left catalytic converter.

Reconnect the battery negative cable.

#10 ·
Hi guys,

I was told by my client today that the Cadillac dealership wanted to want to charge him $600 to replace the starter.. And that my friends was only the labor. The starter itself was well over $300. Instead of you removing the catalytic converter (which is something I never thought of) or the intake manifold, I simply removed the AC belt and the AC compressor (by pulling it forward as carefully as possible, but only after removing the three bolts that hold it to the blocked attachment.) you need to remove the AC compressor, and noted to allow clearance of the starter which will come out by the whole just ahead of the steering knuckle.
Just remember which way you took the starter out, we'll have to flip it around, like I did, ha ha.

It was difficult and I'm sure it took every bit of over three hours to do it. There were a lot of cooler lines and my arms could barely fit in there and I was getting hand cramps. I charged to the customer were only $160 (he ordered his own starter online). A word of caution: should you try decide to try it this way, is absolutely necessary that when you're pulling make sure the AC compressor wire (a single wire with the clip) has been separated. Or, you'll run the risk of not only snapping that wire, but breaking any of the lines that are in that area as well.

just in case none of you tried, but I would suggest that you take the driver side front wheel off.

Once you move the AC compressor, you'll need a 15mm socket to remove the wiring harness (just loosening it so it can move about an inch from its original position on each side..), and 15 mm wrench to remove the starter, which is on the driver side lower portion of the transmission bell housing to engine block connection. This makes the job much, much easier.

I hope that helps, enjoy your day, gentlemen and ladies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.