: Crud, my turn for motor mount

MacMuse
10-07-10, 03:59 PM
Since last month's two week extravaganza that ended with dealer replacing the ECM, I've noticed the car developing a slight rumble/rough idle when sitting still. No noticeable issue during acceleration or steady driving. And, as the weeks rolled on it seemed to be getting just slightly more pronounced. On Tuesday I decided to call for an appt and bring it in. But the car had other ideas.

Before I made the service appointment the CEL came on. Skipped the call and just headed for the dealer in the morning.

The CEL turned out to be an unrelated minor vaccuum leak. Glad it forced the issue before the mount got any worse.

So, yet another thank you! shoutout to the CPO program. I definitely "won" this bet with the dealer. My $1,500 CPO has paid out over $5K in just over 1.5 years. On the other hand, I don't have high hopes of keeping this car in working order after CPO expires in a year or so.

I bought this car used, but from a Caddilac dealer. Does that mean I'm not eligible to go through (Illinois) lemon law processing?

caddyfat2
10-07-10, 04:22 PM
Mac, I have the same issues. Since owning my 05 ISG, my STS has been in the shop a numberous amount of times and have cost THOUSANDS of dollars already but I was also saved by my extended warranty. My warranty expires in 2 years so when it expires I will say bye-bye to my Caddy and I think it will be my last one.

jedhead
10-07-10, 06:47 PM
Out here in California, the lemon law only applies to new car purchaser. My CPO warranty has saved me some money too. Rear wheel hub, motor mount, rear pinion seal and a ECU reflash.

Bob

caddyfat2
10-07-10, 08:28 PM
You probably heard this before but in case you didn't here is what went south on mines:
1.front right side door lock replacement, 2.reprogram ECM, 3.replaced radiator, 4.powertrain control module reprogram SPS, 5.replaced battery #1, 6.replaced all four michelin tires, 7. again powertrain control module engine reprogram with SPS, 8.replaced battery #2, 9. replaced control assembly ,floor shifter, 10.replaced ignition and start switch, 11. transmission control module reprogram with SPS, 12.replaced left front seatbelt retractor, 13.replaced instrument panel center trim plate, 14.replaced right headlight composite assembly, 15. replaced steering gear (rack), 16.replaced module side impact inflator front left,17. replaced instrument panel ashtray, 18. replaced headlamp composite assembly left side, 19. replaced battery #3, 20.replaced battery #4, 21.replaced starter, replaced coil kit (clockspring).

What do you guys think of that????? it's been in 21 times and the last time they replaced 2 things, the starter and the coil kit(clockspring).

porkfarm
10-08-10, 07:30 AM
You probably heard this before but in case you didn't here is what went south on mines:
1.front right side door lock replacement, 2.reprogram ECM, 3.replaced radiator, 4.powertrain control module reprogram SPS, 5.replaced battery #1, 6.replaced all four michelin tires, 7. again powertrain control module engine reprogram with SPS, 8.replaced battery #2, 9. replaced control assembly ,floor shifter, 10.replaced ignition and start switch, 11. transmission control module reprogram with SPS, 12.replaced left front seatbelt retractor, 13.replaced instrument panel center trim plate, 14.replaced right headlight composite assembly, 15. replaced steering gear (rack), 16.replaced module side impact inflator front left,17. replaced instrument panel ashtray, 18. replaced headlamp composite assembly left side, 19. replaced battery #3, 20.replaced battery #4, 21.replaced starter, replaced coil kit (clockspring).

What do you guys think of that????? it's been in 21 times and the last time they replaced 2 things, the starter and the coil kit(clockspring).

I am close with you.. few things on your list that I did not have done, but I did have a cat replaced and a gas tank. I am pretty sure that this is my last caddy.. Unless a alpine white xlrv shows up for a good price.

caddyfat2
10-08-10, 07:44 AM
Porkfarm stop planting seeds in my mine LOL

KRSTS
10-08-10, 08:31 AM
Since you asked:
You don't say how many miles on the car but it is a six year old, 1st year model, high tech luxury car. 4 items were cosmetic "trim items" and I'm including the headlights. 5 were wear items and you probably kept replacing the batteries with DELCOs (big mistake). 3 were reprograms probably because because it is first year model. That leaves eight actual major repairs in six years, or an average of 1 1/3 per year. Excessive, but not overly so.

caddyfat2
10-08-10, 10:54 AM
My whip has only 64k miles on it but I still consider the failure rate excessive for any car, let alone one with the so called quality of a Cadillac and yes they were Delco 101-6yr batteries. These things started failing at 7k shameful miles.

EChas3
10-08-10, 09:22 PM
Up here among the cheeseheads, lemon laws only apply if they don't fix it. If they fix it and give you rentals, you are only out the time you spend with a service-writer & driving different cars. A Malibu, SRX or Yukon may not be my STS, but it's always fun to drive something new-ish. Wonder what I'll get Monday?

Besides, 'It's a Rental!'

MacMuse
10-11-10, 02:44 PM
Up here among the cheeseheads, lemon laws only apply if they don't fix it. If they fix it and give you rentals, ...

Yeah, I enjoy my time with the various loaners - what a great way to evaluate cars. I've had a Cobalt, SRX ('09 & '11), DTS and Suburban. The '11 SRX was very nice except for the (lack of) motor. The Suburban was SCARY to drive on Chicago streets. The DTS was sweet, but reinforced that the STS's sportier setup is more to my liking. The Cobalt ... should not have been created.

I do worry about that first SES light after I reach 100K. At 66K and counting quickly. I'll reach 100K miles long before the 72 month timer expires.

EChas3
10-11-10, 08:47 PM
Latest rental review! (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/212392-small-coolant-leak.html)

caddyfat2
10-11-10, 08:53 PM
I rest my case !

EChas3
10-11-10, 10:59 PM
I rest my case !

And I, mine!

EChas3
10-11-10, 11:18 PM
And I, mine!

I see both sides but a good car is more than just transportation.. To me a car is more than another replaceable machine. Even though I don't customize a car as much as I used to, the cars I buy don't need as much to make me happy with them.

I get used to a car. I know the controls and can predict the handling and shift-points. If I can fix a car that's in otherwise good condition for about the cost and hassle of trading, I'll do it. It takes time and effort to fix someone elses problems.

To be strictly dollars and cents seems mercenary to me. A car is a statement. I like driving a car made by an American company. There aren't many cars I like. I love driving my STS.

caddyfat2
10-12-10, 10:19 AM
I agree 100% with you,I love my STS also I just don't like it when it is unreliable as it has been some of the times.

Greg00coupe
10-12-10, 11:53 AM
Understandable that folks will list the problems but there are many who have no issues. Have never understood why with the same model folks experiences are so different. Maybe the idea that only cars built on Wednesdays are reliable?

I have to say the cars I've owned over the last 25 years have been phenominal!!! 2 chevys, 2 buicks, several Hondas and 2 Cadillacs. My 2000 STS was in the shop once other then routine maintenance. My 2005 STS was in the shop several times while under warranty 3 years ago for minor items that were mostly dealer screw ups related. Get new tires they break a sensor type stuff take it back and they try to reset instead of replace stuff.

I changed the 2000's delco battery after 6 years; on the 05 after 3 years. Frankly I am just amazed at how reliable these cars are. Just change oil, rotate tires and I get 30K a year trouble free miles.

KNOCK ON WOOD!

bbshriver
10-12-10, 04:18 PM
I see both sides but a good car is more than just transportation.. To me a car is more than another replaceable machine. Even though I don't customize a car as much as I used to, the cars I buy don't need as much to make me happy with them.

I get used to a car. I know the controls and can predict the handling and shift-points. If I can fix a car that's in otherwise good condition for about the cost and hassle of trading, I'll do it. It takes time and effort to fix someone elses problems.

To be strictly dollars and cents seems mercenary to me. A car is a statement. I like driving a car made by an American company. There aren't many cars I like. I love driving my STS.

I absolutely agree with you on that.

However, a car is FIRST and FOREMOST a form of transportation, and when it fails to do that the enjoyment factor goes down.

My car hasn't left me stranded (yet), but has come way too close a few times. Being a few hundred miles away from home on a Sunday night when your shiny Cadillac decides to randomly stall on the interstate is not fun!

I'm horribly torn, I love my car when it works, but have little tolerance for something I can't depend on. This isn't my 1973 Porsche, this is my daily driver...

EChas3
10-12-10, 10:36 PM
A failure would be a pain. There's always roadside assistance. If you don't have Caddy's, check with your insurance. AAA isn't any better than a $7 per State Farm billing cycle but you may already have Caddy's covergae to 100,000. They've been doing that on all their cars, new & used, since 2007. Check with your dealer.

I haven't come close. I hear a noise, see a leak or have one of the many toys break and I get to trade cars for a day. I go with the flow & enjoy life.

bbshriver
10-13-10, 08:31 AM
A failure would be a pain. There's always roadside assistance. If you don't have Caddy's, check with your insurance. AAA isn't any better than a $7 per State Farm billing cycle but you may already have Caddy's covergae to 100,000. They've been doing that on all their cars, new & used, since 2007. Check with your dealer.

I haven't come close. I hear a noise, see a leak or have one of the many toys break and I get to trade cars for a day. I go with the flow & enjoy life.

I have both AAA (Plus, RV, so I get motorcycle assistance to), and Cadillac assistance.

However, my "almost" experience was a couple hundred miles from home on a Sunday night.

A previous experience I'd had fortunately close enough to limp the car home, on a Saturday afternoon... all the dealers (service dept) were closed and said they can't do anything about a "loaner" vehicle. I called On-Star to see what kind of help I could get with a non-functioning vehicle when I needed to go on a trip.. they said they could tow me to a dealer, but that was all, if the dealer was closed it was up to me to get a cab or whatever to where I was going.

Mine was having stalling, I believe due to loose intake manifold bolts on the N*, but it took 4 dealer visits and a recommendation from this forum to check the manifold bolts for them to fix it. It would ONLY stall after at least an hour of driving, and then sitting at idle (in traffic, at stop lights, etc, anytime tne engine dropped below 1krpm it would stall). Dealer couldn't replicate the problem, and said the computer code wasn't helpful, so they'd give it back and say "monitor the situation, and when it does it again, bring it in". But if the car was given time to cool down (quick meal at McDonalds was enough) it would be fine then for at least another hour of driving.

caddyfat2
10-13-10, 12:25 PM
I don't care what anyone says. These cars are problematic and with me it's a love/:bonkers:hate relationship.

blunted
10-13-10, 02:17 PM
I'm in the same boat as all of you. I had a check engine light that refuses to permanently go away no matter how many parts got thrown at it. The list of stuff that's been replaced in the past 2.5 years is crazy, I knew all the Enterprise guys by first name which is sad. My CPO coverage is over in 2 weeks and luckily the dealer i've been going to lately has been good with me and I think the service advisor just feels bad. Upon looking the car over for me so I wouldn't get nailed after warranty, he replaced a front engine mount, some washer by the tranny (4hrs labor), front strut & mount, fixed a seeping lower radiator hose and is waiting for a replacement catalytic converter to come in (he said its over $2K).

This is after a ridiculous amount of stuff thats already been replaced.. such as:

-Battery
-Driver&Passenger Seat trim
-Driver Lumbar
-Hub
-2 Struts
-MAF
-Water Pump Gasket
-Starter Button
-Chrome hood trim
-Side mirror
-ECM/ABS computer
-2 Motor mounts
-Radiator Cap
-Fuel Injector
-Climate control Actuator
-Fog Light

There's more i'm forgetting im sure. Now here's the thing.. do I keep it or dump it now that the warranty is about to be up? I figure at this point just about everything's been replaced, so do I trade it the devil I know for the devil I dont? Ahh decisions, decisions..

turnne
10-15-10, 10:01 AM
To me it seems that this bodystyle...like the older one can be incredibly inconsistent in reliability

I remember when I bought the 02..I called the original selling dealer who has serviced it until about 8K miles before I purchased it

The service writers words to me were something to the effect of.....these cars, in terms of reliability are very inconsistent..he said he had seen people drive 150K miles with almost no issues and others that were in the shop every other month since day one of their new car purchase
No rhyme or reason between the two scenarios and both situations were servicing and maintaining their cars well....he touched on the suspension issues and said they had replaced many of the electronic components under warranty for some and others drove 100K+ plus miles with no problems

It seems this car continues that tradtion as the repair records...from what I read in this forum are A-Z...with plenty on both sides of that equation

Unfortunately...bad news is always "louder" and likely contributes to the low resale these cars have had traditionally as well as currently

Warren

Midnight
10-15-10, 10:36 AM
I think part of it might also be inconsistency in the owners. Some people will bring the car in for every little cosmetic thing and some won't bother, or even won't notice it. Hell with these cars entire systems might break and a lot of the owners won't even notice because they never use them. Also, the dealers themselves are probably not very consistent - it always seems like some will throw new parts at a problem until they get lucky, and others will do a better job diagnosing and fix it the first time.

Also, quite often, randomness is streaky and people are biased toward remembering the extreme cases.