: 2010 Cadillac SRX Recall

Lord Cadillac
10-07-10, 09:49 AM
General Motors is conducting a voluntary safety recall of 3,996 Cadillac SRX crossovers from the 2010 model year for a possible damage to the power steering line. Based on GM analysis, the issue is believed to exist in only two or three of the recalled vehicles. If the line is damaged, power steering fluid could leak, and if the fluid sprays onto hot engine parts, an engine compartment fire could result. GM is aware of one such fire in an unattended SRX related to this condition. There have been no related crashes or injuries. The vehicles being recalled were built in December 2009. The majority of the affected vehicles (3,460) are in the United States. There were 341 exported to China. Owners will be notified by mail and the inspection and any necessary repair will be performed free of charge.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/news/news_detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2010/Oct/1007_cadillac_srx

Smokin' SRX
10-07-10, 10:07 PM
12/09 only. THX!!

SS

TheCaptain
10-08-10, 01:50 PM
Good thing mine was built 1/25/10! :D

mm9351
10-10-10, 07:02 AM
Never buy a car made in December; too much holiday celebration going on...:)

Also avoid the month of May....cinco de Mayo....after all the SRX is assembled in Mexico...

ickday1
10-10-10, 02:15 PM
"cinco de Mayo"

Sounds like a boatload of mayonaise went down in the ocean.

TheCaptain
10-10-10, 06:34 PM
"cinco de Mayo"

lol oh man that is funny!
:rofl:

stevec5375
10-10-10, 06:51 PM
"cinco de Mayo"

Cinco de Mayo = 5th of May

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_mayo

In case you want to continue being PI (politically incorrect).

pastohio
10-14-10, 11:19 AM
Stupid question, I thought the power steering on our cars was electric to try and give the engine more torque and MPG ?? Is there a regular pump ?? MY wife is out for the day so I can't go look....

ickday1
10-14-10, 11:39 AM
"In case you want to continue being PI (politically incorrect)."

"While Cinco de Mayo sees limited significance and celebration nationwide in Mexico, the date
is observed nationwide in the United States (especially at bars around the country)"

WOW! WHAT A SIGNIFICANT HOLIDAY! (Great day for the drunks) PROBABLY RANKS SECOND TO
NATIONAL FRISBEE DAY!

And yes, I do prefer to be "politically incorrect". It is my (w)right!

Ponyman
10-14-10, 12:34 PM
I'm with you ickday. Some people have NO sense of humor.

GMJim
11-15-10, 05:58 PM
Got a notice today for my Caddy.
Your Cadillac dealer will install a protective sleeve over the power steering gear return line,
and secure the line with a bracket.

sube5186
11-15-10, 09:06 PM
Your Cadillac dealer will install a protective sleeve over the power steering gear return line, and secure the line with a bracket.

So they're only installing this protective sleeve on specific models on the recall list, or are they installing it on all SRXs as a preventative measure?

Sube

GMJim
11-16-10, 06:23 AM
Specific models built in December of 2009.

ewill3rd
11-16-10, 08:15 AM
Condition
General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2010 model year Cadillac SRX vehicles. Some of these vehicles have a condition in which processing of the crimp during manufacture of the power steering pressure line may have damaged the line. If the line was damaged, a power steering fluid leak may develop. If there is a sufficient amount of fluid loss, the driver will hear noise from the power steering pump and increased effort may be required for steering. If power steering fluid sprays onto hot engine parts, an engine compartment fire could occur.

Correction
Dealers are to inspect (using a special gauge tool) and, if necessary, replace the power steering line on vehicles equipped with a 3.0L engine (LF1). Due to the inability to access the power steering line with the special gauge tool on the 2.8L engine (LAU), without removing the line first, dealers are to replace the power steering line on these vehicles.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2010 model year Cadillac SRX vehicles equipped with a 2.8L gas engine (LAU) or 3.0L gas engine (LF1), and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Cadillac
SRX
AS522680
AS571142

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty system. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

I won't post the procedure but it involves inspection/replacement of the line.
I posted the VIN break so you can check yours.

I thought the joke was funny.

Ponyman
11-16-10, 09:08 PM
Got my recall letter when I got home this afternoon. Got to call the local dealer tomorrow and tell them to get the parts on order. No use taking it in twice.

ewill3rd
11-17-10, 08:28 AM
I can't speak for other dealers but we only stock one of each line.
Replacement is required on the 2.8, but the 3.0 liter requires inspection first and if the line is not improperly crimped it stays on the vehicle.

Ponyman
11-17-10, 11:39 AM
I can't speak for other dealers but we only stock one of each line.
Replacement is required on the 2.8, but the 3.0 liter requires inspection first and if the line is not improperly crimped it stays on the vehicle.

Thanks, I guess it will just have to wait either for my next oil change, or when it is convenient.

Smokin' SRX
11-19-10, 12:07 PM
I won't post the procedure but it involves inspection/replacement of the line.
I posted the VIN break so you can check yours.

I thought the joke was funny.

You r the best! THX for always chiming in with accurate data. Confirms the other excellent posters here!

SS

ewill3rd
11-20-10, 08:27 AM
You are quite welcome and thank you for taking the time to post those kind words.

sube5186
11-23-10, 12:01 PM
There is another recall for the SRX that only involves vehicles with fog lights. I'm not sure if this is for 2010 only, or 2011 as well. However, the problem is very easy to check for. Your fog lights should not be operable while the high beam headlights are simultaneously on. In other words, if your high beams are on and you turn on your fog lights, your headlights should automatically switch to low beams. If your low beams are on at the same time as your fog lights and you turn on the high beams, the fog lights should automatically turn off. If this is NOT the case, you need the recall work done. It only involves a software update. The recall no. is 10360. This is brand new. Chances are your dealer may not even have this in their system yet. I received a phone call yesterday from GM advising me of this. Letters are being sent out in stages, so if you haven't received a letter yet and your car fails the aforementioned test, you will be getting one. You don't have to wait for your letter to get this fixed.

As far as the power steering line recall (#10323) at the start of this thread goes, don't go by the build date. Go by the VIN break. My SRX was built prior to Dec of 2009, yet my VIN is included. The recall DOES affect my vehicle. I was told by GM that they're in the process of manufacturing a protective sleeve for the power steering line. No ETA for that part yet. In the interim, if you are affected by this recall, keep an eye out for power steering fluid leaks on the ground. There has been one known engine compartment fire caused by this defect. They assured me that this was unlikely, but the possibility (however remote) still does exist.

I do have to say I was quite impressed with GM's prompt attention to this matter. In all, I received three phone calls. They also called my dealer's service dept. and personally advised them of the matter. They kept me updated during the whole process.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/news/news_detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2010/Oct/1007_cadillac_srx

Sube

Nichelle
11-23-10, 11:04 PM
I had my car serviced today for this recall. They offered a loaner since it took almost 4 hours. Not only did I hear from my dealer, but when I called OnStar for directions a couple of days ago, the OnStar rep mentioned that my vehicle had a recall notice. That was rather cool.

sube5186
11-23-10, 11:54 PM
I had my car serviced today for this recall. They offered a loaner since it took almost 4 hours.

Which recall are you referring to, the brake fluid line or the fog lights?

Nichelle
11-24-10, 01:53 AM
Which recall are you referring to, the brake fluid line or the fog lights?

Hi Sube -

The power steering issue recall...

specifically this --> http://content.gmownercenter.yahoo.com/docs/recalls/2010323_cadillac.pdf

GeeVee
11-24-10, 02:25 AM
I called my dealer today concerning the power steering line recall and they did`nt have parts either

Ponyman
11-24-10, 06:12 AM
It is great to have a good dealer. Mine has already sent me an e-mail, and called about the recall. OnStar has also sent me a message. We are coming up on 5000 miles, and although the oil change monitor is still a LONG way from saying I need an oil change, I believe I will take advantage of my free oil change, and have the tires rotated, and the recall checked all at the same time. Got three weeks off at Christmas, so that will be the perfect time to do it.

Nichelle
11-24-10, 05:42 PM
It is great to have a good dealer. Mine has already sent me an e-mail, and called about the recall. OnStar has also sent me a message. We are coming up on 5000 miles, and although the oil change monitor is still a LONG way from saying I need an oil change, I believe I will take advantage of my free oil change, and have the tires rotated, and the recall checked all at the same time. Got three weeks off at Christmas, so that will be the perfect time to do it.

I think we took delivery on the same day or maybe a day or two apart. I've already had my second free oil change. I need to drive less! You're definitely right about a good dealer, though. I've had nothing but good experiences and it makes a world of difference.

Oh and Sube, you're too popular!

sube5186 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
Read more at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/private.php?do=insertpm&pmid=374827&ktrack=kcplink

Ponyman
11-24-10, 06:41 PM
Yeah, Nichelle, I think you got yours a couple of days before we did. We have two other cars, so the SRX doesn't get driven as much as it otherwise would. Got an 07 Avalanche with barely 15,000 miles, and an 09 HHR with close to 7,000.

sube5186
11-24-10, 08:14 PM
All clear for you Nichelle. :cool:

Smokin' SRX
11-25-10, 08:45 AM
Wow, what great service we're all getting! The Dealer can make the difference......either way.

Thx Sube for all your excell info/updates! With about 5K miles on the clock, I just checked my Fog lites. OK. Some folks on other sites pay to have ability to lite'em all up at once ! (off-roading/mountain passes,etc) LOL

But power/wire electrical load limits may cause a problem. I actually melted a headlite switch, on a Dodge, back in 1993, with aftermarket, replacement headlite bulbs (40% over stock wattage!) and never blew a fuse/breaker. Bring her in.......... :bomb:

SS

rgalpaugh
11-30-10, 01:40 PM
I guess power steering is a difficult technology. My 2011 just spent the day in the shop having the power steering line rerouted.

smiley47
12-14-10, 06:51 PM
Just when I thought I had escaped the power steering cable recall since my build date was 1-05-2010, well yesterday I received the letter. My VIN was within the range provided in an earlier post by ewill but my build date was after December so if anyone else has similar circumstances, keep an eye out for the love letter.

Not sure why it took so long from the first notifications, maybe they're being phased due to a parts availability issue.

GeeVee
12-14-10, 06:59 PM
I have not been notified at all but my car fell within the VIN index. I had the car fixxed yesterday. I believe it was Sube that brought the recall to our attention so a big thanks to Sube!

sube5186
12-14-10, 08:16 PM
When I received a call from the executive offices of GM they told me the recall letters are being sent out in stages. So if your VIN falls within the range, yet you haven't received a letter, you eventually will. Still haven't received mine, although I know it's coming. My dealer is supposed to call me when they have the parts. Since I haven't received a call, I'm assuming they still don't have the parts. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Sube

coachk
12-16-10, 11:32 AM
Received my letter earlier this week and my SRX is in the shop right now being fixed. Will let you know how it goes.

iamq
12-19-10, 08:30 AM
Cadillac
SRX
AS522680
AS571142

My VIM falls outside these numbers and I got a notice yesterday. I looked at the power stering line and at least from the top, there is a cover over the line but no bracket.. Must have expanded the recal or just checking to be safe....

Ponyman
12-22-10, 06:08 PM
Had my car in for this today. although it fell within the vin numbers, it didn't need the hose replaced. Evidently they measure the degree of the crimp on the hose to determine if it needs to be replaced or not. Anyway, got a free decent carwash

TheCaptain
12-26-10, 03:22 PM
Well, with a build date of 1.25.10, i figured i was outside of the recall, but maybe GM is just checking all SRX's? Because i just got my recall for the power steering. I'll set a date once we're out of the holidays here.

sube5186
01-19-11, 10:02 PM
There is another recall for the SRX that only involves vehicles with fog lights. I'm not sure if this is for 2010 only, or 2011 as well. However, the problem is very easy to check for. Your fog lights should not be operable while the high beam headlights are simultaneously on. In other words, if your high beams are on and you turn on your fog lights, your headlights should automatically switch to low beams. If your low beams are on at the same time as your fog lights and you turn on the high beams, the fog lights should automatically turn off. If this is NOT the case, you need the recall work done. It only involves a software update. The recall no. is 10360. This is brand new. Chances are your dealer may not even have this in their system yet. I received a phone call yesterday from GM advising me of this. Letters are being sent out in stages, so if you haven't received a letter yet and your car fails the aforementioned test, you will be getting one. You don't have to wait for your letter to get this fixed.

Sube

Just got this recall work done. I noticed another change. When you turn the car off and open the driver's door the parking lights (only) come on momentarily. This is to illuminate the area around the car as you're leaving. Before the update the headlights came on as well. Apparently, this additional change was bundled in with the main fix. They mush have changed this to reduce battery drain.

Anyone else notice this?

Sube

Hockeytown 1340
01-19-11, 10:34 PM
My fog lights work as advertised

algiorda
01-20-11, 07:08 AM
I also received the notice; called the dealer to setup an appointment and they told me the part would have to be ordered and they never called me. I called yesterday (after a month) and of course the part is in but they still never called. I'll have the service done on Saturday. Hopefully , they can update my NAV Maps too!!

sube5186
01-20-11, 08:29 AM
My fog lights work as advertised

As advertised? This is not described in detail in the owner's manual. It only says they come on when you press the button. They should NOT come on while the high beams are on. Did you actually test them? While your fog lights are on, turn on your high beams. Your fog lights should automatically turn off. Switch back to low beam headlights (not daytime running lights) and your fog lights should automatically turn back on. If yours doesn't work exactly like that, you need the update.

It's illegal in every state to have your fog lights and high beams on simultaneously. Someone on the design team apparently missed this one during the original production. Everyone with a 2010 SRX needs to check this. As I stated before, I got a call from GM on this one. They said I'd get a letter, but I still haven't received it and I already had the update performed.

Sube

sube5186
01-20-11, 08:33 AM
I also received the notice; called the dealer to setup an appointment and they told me the part would have to be ordered and they never called me. I called yesterday (after a month) and of course the part is in but they still never called. I'll have the service done on Saturday. Hopefully , they can update my NAV Maps too!!

Part? What part? This one's only a software update. There shouldn't be any parts needed.

Sube

Hockeytown 1340
01-20-11, 04:27 PM
Yes, they work as there intended to. My fog lights shut off automatically if I turn on my high beams and the fog lights will come back on when the high beams are shut off. My Avalanche operates the same way. In fact every car I've owned with fog lights has worked in this manner. "As advertised" or promised. Just an old mid-west saying I guess.

algiorda
01-21-11, 11:50 AM
Part? What part? This one's only a software update. There shouldn't be any parts needed.

Sube

Ahh, are there TWO recalls for Power Steering hose issues? My recall is for the power steering hose rubbing against another part and needs to have a sleeve installed.

What are you talking about?

sube5186
01-21-11, 12:43 PM
Ahh, are there TWO recalls for Power Steering hose issues? My recall is for the power steering hose rubbing against another part and needs to have a sleeve installed.

What are you talking about?

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, there are two separate recalls listed in this thread. The first is for the power steering hose. The dealers don't have the part because the part has yet to be manufactured. From what I understand it's some type of protective sleeve that repositions the hose to prevent it from coming in contact with other parts that could create a leak. In the interim dealers are checking for wear/leaks in the power steering hose. If a leak is found, they will replace the hose. However, anyone who takes their car in now will still need to go back once the new part arrives.

The second recall is listed in my second post on this thread. It involves vehicles with fog lights.

Sube

sube5186
01-21-11, 01:22 PM
algiorda,

I noticed two changes since they did the recall work for the fog lights. Now, when I press the unlock button on the remote the first time the parking lights just flash. It takes a second press to actually unlock the door. Secondly, when you turn the car off at night (or in a dark garage) and open the driver's door the headlights used to come on for 20 seconds to illuminate your way. Now, only the parking lights come on. I'm thinking they may have changed this to reduce battery drain and save the life of the HID headlights.

I'm trying to determine if these were intentional modifications to the system, or if something went awry during the update. Does your car do the same things?

Thanks,

Sube

GMJim
01-21-11, 05:37 PM
Sube, Mine unlocks on the first press, and the headlamps stay lit per the preset time period.
I do not have HID.

Jim

Smokin' SRX
01-21-11, 09:31 PM
If that's the changes to our HID's, on exiting, I will not get that Recall done. I need my headlites to illuminate my pathway where I park. And I think the Hid's look cool too :-)

It should never take more than 1 press to unlock the drivers door. (or all doors if so programmed) Take it back to Dealer after confirming..........

SS

sube5186
01-21-11, 11:59 PM
Sube, Mine unlocks on the first press, and the headlamps stay lit per the preset time period.
I do not have HID.

Jim

Jim, I think they bundled this change in with the fog light fix. Mine used to work like yours. I actually prefer it the new way. I always thought having the headlights come on every time I exit the car was a waste of the HID bulb life.

As for the remote unlocking the doors on the second press, I'll have to look into that.

Sube

pastohio
01-22-11, 12:41 PM
Something on this posts sounds like it is going askew.....when I walk up to the vehicle, hit the unlock once, it only opens the driver's door, if I want to open all doors I have to hit the keyfob twice in succession ....I understand this is the way it should be....I like it this way...my $.02

RippyPartsDept
01-22-11, 01:22 PM
dealers should have the parts for the P/S hose recall... (there's actually two steering related recalls the second one is a new hose is called for in the turbo SRX for a two month vin range)

we have both parts in stock and have had them for most of the month (maybe since before xmas)