: 07 EXT Dies at IDLE

ctsv-ext
10-07-10, 09:32 AM
I took my first long trip (700) miles in my new to me 2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT. I have noticed a rough idle from day one and am aware that is common. After about 350 miles I pulled off the highway to get some fuel (still had plenty of gas) and as soon as I pulled up to the stop light it died and wouldn't start back up but would crank over. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and still no luck. About 45 minutes later when I was waiting on the tow truck I gave it another try and it started up. I filled up with gas and drove the rest of the trip without stopping and as soon as I took the exit for my destination it did the same thing! The truck does have 100k miles. No check engine codes. It runs great on the hwy. Any Tips before I take her to the stearlership? Thanks!!

K9Caddy
10-07-10, 09:48 AM
Where did you fuel up before it started? Sounds like a tank of bad fuel. Stop at an Exxon/Mobil or Chevron station and fill her up with Premium. Get a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel treatment at your local parts store too and try again.

K9Caddy
10-07-10, 09:50 AM
Btw, with that many miles I'd get a complete tune-up while your at it. e.g. new plugs/wires/fuel filter and change all fluids too.

I just remembered and I'm sure someone will chime in too... I noticed people having issues with the throttle body getting carboned/gummed up with high miles. I hear off people getting it cleaned for failry cheap and having a lot smoother idle.

Btw, my 2009 runs smooth and idles great, but I only have 11k miles on it.

bstiffmanofsteel
10-07-10, 11:01 AM
I had a similar episode with my 2002 a few weeks ago. It was the fuel pump. But the throttle body not being clean could easily be the cause of the rough idle... Throttle body cleaning is a DIY, instruction are in the forum , I'll find the link for you.

ctsv-ext
10-07-10, 11:12 AM
I appreciate everyone’s help. I'm going to start with the things you two mentioned. I hope it was just some bad fuel but I can’t believe this thing isn’t throwing any codes?

K9Caddy
10-07-10, 01:38 PM
Bad fuel or dirty throttle body might not throw any codes, that is why it was suggested... :) Hope this gets resolved, let us know what the issue is when you find out.

jt321
10-07-10, 01:53 PM
I had this EXACT problem 3 weeks ago on my 07 esky. Turned out to be the camshaft actuator. The dealership had it for 3 weeks because the part was on national backorder.

K9Caddy
10-07-10, 02:16 PM
Nice to know! You didn't get any trouble codes with that?

ctsv-ext
10-07-10, 03:06 PM
I had this EXACT problem 3 weeks ago on my 07 esky. Turned out to be the camshaft actuator. The dealership had it for 3 weeks because the part was on national backorder.

That sounds expensive! Do u have a part # or anything?

jt321
10-07-10, 07:30 PM
I had check engine light when it first happend, then it went away, but the problem was still there. My service traction control light came on also. I dont have the part number, but i believe the part was around $150.

ctsv-ext
10-07-10, 07:42 PM
I had check engine light when it first happend, then it went away, but the problem was still there. My service traction control light came on also. I dont have the part number, but i believe the part was around $150.

My traction control light also came on. Thanks for the heads up on this you may have saved me a lot of time and money.

ctsv-ext
10-07-10, 07:51 PM
Brief update: I had it diagnosed today and there was a code stored of: P0011 Intake Cam (cmp) position system performance. Thanks JT321 for the information on the Camshaft Actuator. I'm going to try the Camshaft Actuator and probably do a DIY write up on if I think I can tackle it. I'll keep you all posted.

If we have any techs out here please point me in the direction of the Camshaft Actuator.

chadbaaronson
10-20-10, 09:05 PM
Any U/D on this? I'm having the exact same issues. Did you try cleaning the throttle body? Did that help at all? How much was the fuel pump replacement? Did that solve the problem? Any idea where I can find that link to the throttle body DIY cleaning procedure?

bstiffmanofsteel
10-20-10, 09:26 PM
I replaced the fuel pump on my 2002 and traded it in a few hours later...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/207719-maff-throttle-body-cleaning.html

ctsv-ext
10-20-10, 11:15 PM
Any U/D on this? I'm having the exact same issues. Did you try cleaning the throttle body? Did that help at all? How much was the fuel pump replacement? Did that solve the problem? Any idea where I can find that link to the throttle body DIY cleaning procedure?

I did the throttle body cleaning but I don’t think it did anything for this. From what I have researched I'm almost positive that it is the camshaft actuator. I ordered the parts a couple weeks ago but they are on a national back order which indicates this is becoming a common problem. It's a shame the dealer isnt smart enough to figure this out. I received shipping conformation today so I should have an update next week. I plan to do all the work myself and will post my findings.

07maralade
10-21-10, 01:37 AM
How did you receive the stored codes? Did you do it at the dealer or DIY yourself with the machine?

ctsv-ext
10-21-10, 10:28 AM
A friend of mine has a snap on machine that we used.

Punmax
01-18-11, 07:43 PM
My '07 Escalade did the exact same thing. Service Traction Control came on and so did Service Stabilitrak. Did the cam actuator fix your problems?

Braknglases07
01-25-11, 07:31 AM
The 2007 Year escalade are JUNK I have had mine in the shop so much for rough engine idle and staling seems like dealerships refuse to do anything about it! There is a bulletin out there that says there is a problem with the engine and they are to replace it, but i have yet to have the luck!

usbmx2
08-25-14, 01:13 PM
I have a high mile 07 Escalade 140k. I am having the same problem of it stopping. On a long drive from Los Angeles to San Fran.about 4 hours into trip, I was exiting for fuel( I wasn't towing anything, just the family and some luggage in the truck) when it dies on us. There were not codes and after we sat for about 45 min, waiting for a tow truck it, started right up. It died again as we pulled in to our drive. I took it the shop the next day, they couldn't find anything. I see many post on the subject but no definitive answers. Does anyone have any answers. Did replacing the Camshaft actuator fix the problem?

Punmax
08-25-14, 03:43 PM
I have a high mile 07 Escalade 140k. I am having the same problem of it stopping. On a long drive from Los Angeles to San Fran.about 4 hours into trip, I was exiting for fuel( I wasn't towing anything, just the family and some luggage in the truck) when it dies on us. There were not codes and after we sat for about 45 min, waiting for a tow truck it, started right up. It died again as we pulled in to our drive. I took it the shop the next day, they couldn't find anything. I see many post on the subject but no definitive answers. Does anyone have any answers. Did replacing the Camshaft actuator fix the problem?

Yes, it did. I also had the plugs, wires, and throttle body cleaned. The camshaft actuator is a very common problem on the '07 trucks.