: No more idle noise and part throttle "rattle"!

Ross L
10-07-10, 01:51 AM
Did the isloator(W4M) tonight. What a difference. The noise at idle and the "clunk" at shut off are 100% gone. The "rattle" at part throttle is also gone. I'm happy again. :yup:
Ross

GMX322V S/C
10-07-10, 02:16 AM
Me too! I had mine done by D3 as a preventative measure and the first one they put in actually caused the rattle! They did right by me and got LPE to supply them an earlier rev that fit more snugly and they hand massaged it in for a perfect fit.

cbloveday
10-07-10, 09:14 AM
I got one of the earlier batch isolators from LPE as well. The tolerances were off.
Same thing happened as with GMX (no noise pre swap & noise with new isolator swap)
They called me and notified me they were sending another one.
They shipped me a new one and took care of labor to swap it out.

Ross L
10-07-10, 10:36 AM
Guess they got the tolerance issue worked out. This one was snug, a little more whine at idle but I like it.

GMX322V S/C
10-07-10, 10:57 AM
...or since the OEM isolator is spring loaded, maybe Eaton can get away with a wider tolerance on the pins. D3 said most of the solid couplers go in snug with no noise, but one batch was too tight for some customers and wouldn't go in without causing displacement of the gear drive; they're constantly giving feedback to LPE, so apparently the next batch came out too loose--or at least the tolerances were enough to stack against me. :bang2:

hulksdaddy
10-07-10, 02:11 PM
So, some, but not all, of the stock isolators cause a rattle. They also cause a groove. My question is, what problem could the groove cause?

MReiland
10-07-10, 02:34 PM
According to Ed's post the groove will get to a certain point and stop further wear. The shaft that is getting the 'witness mark' on it is in a sealed chamber separate from the blower lobes so it is not a concern of getting any shavings or metal chips ingested into the engine. If you search for Ed Piatek's posts on it labeled 'Engineering Response...." there is more detail.

Matt

Me Wanna A V
10-07-10, 02:54 PM
How much is Jesse's (W4M) isolator? I've never seen a price discussed on any of the threads.

Ross L
10-07-10, 05:52 PM
I believe it was $55, but not positive. A little "stressfull" seeing the car tore down that far but overall a "fun" project.We completely removed the blower/manifold from the car. It was only a matter of unplugging the injectors and fuel rail then everything lifted out. After that, the snout was reinstalled on the manifold then the entire assembly was reinstalled.

Tony407
10-07-10, 07:07 PM
Sounds like a great mod, and something I might consider.

But is anyone worried about warranty issues? Don't get me wrong, I don't like the idle and part throttle rattle any more than most of you (mine is pretty loud) but at least I know whatever issues (if any) may happen down the road because of it will be 100% covered under warranty. An aftermarket isolator in and of itself, not to mention disassembly of the necessary parts to swap it out, just seems to me to scream out warranty voided regarding any future problems of any closely-related issues.

Tony

Ross L
10-07-10, 08:24 PM
Don't know about that. If the blower failed, could mean out of pocket $$$. So far these eatons seem pretty bullet proof.