: Importing a used V into Canada

Wannago
10-06-10, 09:38 PM
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for some time, but finally decided to post.

I have decided to pick up a used V in the spring (2011), prolly in March (sadly, the wife won't let me pay the kind of money required for a new one - unless I want to live in it). As the in-laws recently purchased a winter home in Phoenix, I was thinking about flying down there, picking up a good used V, then driving it back to Canada (Calgary).

I have never imported a car into Canada before, but have done some reading on the process involved, so I know a little what to expect. I was wondering if anyone here could comment on this, specifically, what alterations I might need to do to . I know the daytime runing light module needs to be installed - should be no big deal, and that the speedo needs to be able to display km/h. Does the V have the ability to simply toggle the speedo information between MPH and KM/H, or would the actual speedo need to be swapped?

Any other tips / advice?

What about warranty issues - would I experience grief trying to have warranty work done up here with an imported car?

If any of you is thinking about selling your V in the spring, let me know...

Thanks in advance.

snzuloz
10-06-10, 10:39 PM
Have you looked around for any of these locally? By locally I mean other provinces as well, if it's not too far away as long as you provide proof (drivers license from Alberta) the extra sales taxes do not apply. I have heard some horror stories of vehicles being imported, then subsequently no warranty or extreme difficulty in getting repairs done on a timely basis. As far as I know G.M. does continue with warranty coverage and being that it is a used vehicle shouldn't put a issue that way.
The speedo should not be an issue, it toggles back and forth as necessary, the only difference will be the boost gauge (will read in psi as it should vs kpa)
Not sure about the daytime running lamps (I'm pretty sure this is standard everywhere isn't it?).
If you need any help searching let me know I might be able to help you out further. Troy

garfin
10-07-10, 06:45 AM
Consider purchasing the vehicle in a state that does not charge sales tax, as you will be required to pay the taxes applicable in your province when you bring it over.
As far as I know, the warranty on the car may take a few months (6?) after importation before it becomes effective in Canada.
I believe there is some paperwork that is supposed to be in the hands of customs at the border crossing you'll be using in advance (1 or 2 days?)

Check out this website which ought to explain the complete process:
http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx

Best regards,

Elie

newcadman
10-07-10, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=garfin;2382628]Consider purchasing the vehicle in a state that does not charge sales tax, as you will be required to pay the taxes applicable in your province when you bring it over.
As far as I know, the warranty on the car may take a few months (6?) after importation before it becomes effective in Canada.
I believe there is some paperwork that is supposed to be in the hands of customs at the border crossing you'll be using in advance (1 or 2 days?)

With respect to "the warranty on the car may take a few months (6?) after importation before it becomes effective in Canada", this statement is simply not true. As a matter of fact, GM would like to know where this misinformation is coming from when contacted!

With respect to warranty on an imported vehicle GM's policy is quite clear. The car has to be more than 6 months old AND have 12,000 kms. on the odometer before only a Cadillac dealer can carry out any warranty work! So to repeat, there is no delay in having any warranty work done provided the GM criteria is met.

As for customs, all necessary paperwork has to be in the U.S. customs hands at least 72 hours in advance of crossing the border with the vehicle.

garfin
10-07-10, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=newcadman;2382689

With respect to "the warranty on the car may take a few months (6?) after importation before it becomes effective in Canada", this statement is simply not true. As a matter of fact, GM would like to know where this misinformation is coming from when contacted!

With respect to warranty on an imported vehicle GM's policy is quite clear. The car has to be more than 6 months old AND have 12,000 kms. on the odometer before only a Cadillac dealer can carry out any warranty work! So to repeat, there is no delay in having any warranty work done provided the GM criteria is met.

[/QUOTE]

My bad. The point of reference I'm using here is that of a new car, (or "slightly" used).
To clarify then, if I do buy a new GM vehicle in the U.S. (or a 1 month old demo or used vehicle) and import it into Canada the next day, I then need to wait 6 mos. or 12,000 km. (or 5 mos in the 1 month old demo scenario) before it can have any warranty work done by a dealer?

Best regards,

Elie

newcadman
10-07-10, 09:34 AM
My bad. The point of reference I'm using here is that of a new car, (or "slightly" used).
To clarify then, if I do buy a new GM vehicle in the U.S. (or a 1 month old demo or used vehicle) and import it into Canada the next day, I then need to wait 6 mos. or 12,000 km. (or 5 mos in the 1 month old demo scenario) before it can have any warranty work done by a dealer?

Best regards,

Elie

No need to state the obvious here!

No warranty work until 6 months old and 12000 kms. means just that,
regardless of new, slightly used or just used.

oneman42
10-07-10, 09:59 AM
I am in the same position, probably April or May next year. Maybe we can get together in Calgary and talk about it. I did it once importing a Subaru for my wife from Seattle so I know what to expect (bought from dealer, private is a little different). Just my .02 cents: you (we) also have to consider that at the border crossing we will be charged an extra $2000 for the gas guzzler tax and 5% GST so right there is another $4500 extra for a $50000 car (or about that).
Thanks,
George

garfin
10-07-10, 10:11 AM
With respect to "the warranty on the car may take a few months (6?) after importation before it becomes effective in Canada", this statement is simply not true.

No need to state the obvious here!

No warranty work until 6 months old and 12000 kms. means just that,
regardless of new, slightly used or just used.

Just trying to clear up any ambiguity here...

Best regards,

Elie

Wannago
10-07-10, 12:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Troy, I'm definitely not averse to buying a Canadian car, its just that in the albeit brief reasearch I have done, there seems to be more cars available and at better prices, south of the border. One snag with Cdn cars though, is that I don't want one that has been winter driven. Out east, as you know, they use a lot of salt on the roads, and here in the west, they use sat mixed with sand (aka gravel) that beats the pulp out of the leading edges of vehicles and their windshields. Vancouver cars are generally pretty good though. I may take you up on your offer as the time draws near, to help with my search though. Good news about the speedo...I didn't really want to have to pay to replace the cluster. As for the boost gauge, I prefer PSI anyway. My SRT-4 shows boost /vac in PSI, and I prefer that over the metric version. I thought the DRLs (daytime running lamps) were just a Cdn requirement? If the US cars have them - perfrect, one more expense out of the way, although I belive it shoudl be realtively cheap to add them.

Good to know there shouldn't be any warranty issues. I foresee no problems meeting GM's age / mileage requirements. George, I'll be in touch as the time draws near. It might work out well if we can find some dealer that has two of these kicking around. What salesman wouldn't love to sell two of these in one day? Hopefully he would be "cooperative" on the pricing.

Thanks again,

Mark

newcadman
10-07-10, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Troy, I'm definitely not averse to buying a Canadian car, its just that in the albeit brief reasearch I have done, there seems to be more cars available and at better prices, south of the border. One snag with Cdn cars though, is that I don't want one that has been winter driven. Out east, as you know, they use a lot of salt on the roads, and here in the west, they use sat mixed with sand (aka gravel) that beats the pulp out of the leading edges of vehicles and their windshields. Vancouver cars are generally pretty good though. I may take you up on your offer as the time draws near, to help with my search though. Good news about the speedo...I didn't really want to have to pay to replace the cluster. As for the boost gauge, I prefer PSI anyway. My SRT-4 shows boost /vac in PSI, and I prefer that over the metric version. I thought the DRLs (daytime running lamps) were just a Cdn requirement? If the US cars have them - perfrect, one more expense out of the way, although I belive it shoudl be realtively cheap to add them.

Good to know there shouldn't be any warranty issues. I foresee no problems meeting GM's age / mileage requirements. George, I'll be in touch as the time draws near. It might work out well if we can find some dealer that has two of these kicking around. What salesman wouldn't love to sell two of these in one day? Hopefully he would be "cooperative" on the pricing.

Thanks again,

Mark

Hey Mark

I would like to commend you on your thinking as it pertains to buying a V south of the border.

As you have noted there is a greater selection to choose from, and at better prices, especially with the U.S./Canadian dollar being so close to par nowadays!

Be prepared to save thousands of $$ and more often than not, a greater willingness to deal!

Good luck and all the best in finding your V. If you get a chance let us know how you make out down the line.