: Returning my srx

nahc
10-06-10, 09:05 PM
GM HAS AGREED TO EXCHANGE MY SRX AFTER NUMEROUS ATTEMPTS TO FIX THE THUMPING NOISE IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION.
The problem is that the dealer says that this is an issue on many 2010 and 2011 SRX models, so I should take a CTS Wagon or CTS Sedan instead. I would rather get my money back than take a CTS. Maybe I should take another SRX and chance it. If the same problem occurs, I am back to square one. I can't imagine driving a faulty car that I paid $46,000. Then again, I don't want the CTS.

stevec5375
10-06-10, 09:28 PM
If they can't fix it then I'd take the money and run.

nahc
10-06-10, 09:47 PM
That's what I'm thinking...but I foresee a battle. Neither GM or the dealer like that option.

mw1862
10-07-10, 01:24 AM
GM HAS AGREED TO EXCHANGE MY SRX AFTER NUMEROUS ATTEMPTS TO FIX THE THUMPING NOISE IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION.
The problem is that the dealer says that this is an issue on many 2010 and 2011 SRX models, so I should take a CTS Wagon or CTS Sedan instead. I would rather get my money back than take a CTS. Maybe I should take another SRX and chance it. If the same problem occurs, I am back to square one. I can't imagine driving a faulty car that I paid $46,000. Then again, I don't want the CTS.

Take the money and count yourself fortunate to get it back. I hope that they don't somehow short change you in the transaction. Keep your eye on the ball! :sneaky:

algiorda
10-07-10, 08:55 AM
Who else has thumping noises from the front end? Why wouldn't you take another SRX? Why doesn't the dealer put a remote camera in the front end where the noise is heard and go take a nice test drive?

If I were in your position, I'd would try another SRX, especially if you really love everything else with the car. I think quality with these cars is hit and miss.

Ponyman
10-07-10, 08:58 AM
Nobody is listening. They didn't offer him any money, just a exchange.

stevec5375
10-07-10, 09:24 AM
Nobody is listening. They didn't offer him any money, just a exchange.

Sorry, but this forum doesn't talk to me on my computer. ;)

In any case, if the money isn't an option, then I guess I would try another SRX before I "downgraded" to a CTS.

Who else has thumping noises from the front end?

If I'm not mistaken, there are numerous threads on here reciting problems with noises coming from the front end. This is not an isolated incident.

nahc
10-07-10, 10:42 AM
I spoke to GM again this morning. The dealer was pushing a CTS, thinking I may end up with the same problem on another SRX. I told GM that either I get a new SRX or I want my money back. The representative agreed. The representative is now looking into the possibility of loaning me a new 2011 SRX for 1 or 2 weeks and see if the noise is present. As far as possibly getting my money back, it wasn't ruled out by GM. They have loaned me a CTS. I have had it for 8 days. I prefer the SRX.

nahc
10-07-10, 10:46 AM
Who else has thumping noises from the front end? Why wouldn't you take another SRX? Why doesn't the dealer put a remote camera in the front end where the noise is heard and go take a nice test drive?

If I were in your position, I'd would try another SRX, especially if you really love everything else with the car. I think quality with these cars is hit and miss.

All the tests with the noise monitors have been done. There have also been numerous test drives from the mechanic, the director of service and the field engineer.

Razorecko
10-07-10, 11:44 AM
I dont think the shocks were engineered properly for the weight of the vehicle. Thats what alot of people get thumping in the rear if the gas tank is full but not if its under half full. The only way to test this would be to have the car very low on gas and than put 100-200lbs of weight in the rear cargo area. If it thumps there you go. Its the suspension system

nahc
10-07-10, 01:13 PM
I know what you mean about the noise coming from the gas tank. When it's 3/4 full and you stop suddenly, you can hear a thumping noise due to the gas sloshing back and forth. My problem is much larger. It's a thumping noise from the front suspension.

jb7952
10-07-10, 02:06 PM
What state are you in? Lemon laws are state by state. I returned a Avalanche once after arbitration with GM. One of the things you (probably) agreed to in the fine print is to go to arbitration before suing. Fortunately, I won. Good luck to you. My experience (virginia) is that it's not that hard to get them to take them back when you document the problems.

Ponyman
10-07-10, 03:31 PM
Excuse me Steve, we refinery workers sometimes don't use good grammar. I know that you Indian software engineers are trained in the use of the English language very well. I am sure it comes in handy on that continent. I think everyone knew the meaning of my post.

Ponyman
10-07-10, 04:26 PM
nahc, I would go for the 2011 SRX, especially if the dealer will let you drive one to make sure it does not have the same problem. We had a new 08 CTS, and while it is a very nice car, I did find it lacking in both driver and passenger space, and although it had a large trunk, it isn't as convenient as a hatchback.

Esquire02
10-07-10, 05:42 PM
Sorry, but this forum doesn't talk to me on my computer. ;)

In any case, if the money isn't an option, then I guess I would try another SRX before I "downgraded" to a CTS.

If I'm not mistaken, there are numerous threads on here reciting problems with noises coming from the front end. This is not an isolated incident.

I am not sure why a CTS would be considered a downgrade....in fact, the SRX is the cheapest priceline of the Cadillac line of cars. I actually got rid of my SRX for its multitude of problems and got a CTS and love it. The equipment on my CTs is better and it is a much more well-built then any of the SRXs I have driven.

Ponyman
10-07-10, 06:22 PM
Esquire. I would have to agree that my 08 CTS, after the engine replacement, was an excellent car. I liked the way the seats worked much better than the SRX, and overall it seems to be of higher quality than our SRX. It just didn't fit me as well as the SRX. If the CTS had the leg and shoulder room of our SRX, then we would not have gotten rid of it. The SRX is just a more convenient car for us to drive. I don't know what you mean by the SRX being the cheapest Caddy though. Our SRX was a more expensive vehicle than a similiarly equipped CTS.

Smokin' SRX
10-07-10, 11:14 PM
take another SRX! odds are with you!! We love ours.

SS

nahc
10-07-10, 11:33 PM
What state are you in? Lemon laws are state by state. I returned a Avalanche once after arbitration with GM. One of the things you (probably) agreed to in the fine print is to go to arbitration before suing. Fortunately, I won. Good luck to you. My experience (virginia) is that it's not that hard to get them to take them back when you document the problems.

I'm in Canada. Thanks for the tip on arbitration.

nahc
10-07-10, 11:37 PM
nahc, I would go for the 2011 SRX, especially if the dealer will let you drive one to make sure it does not have the same problem. We had a new 08 CTS, and while it is a very nice car, I did find it lacking in both driver and passenger space, and although it had a large trunk, it isn't as convenient as a hatchback.

I agree about the SRX. I have been driving a CTS for 1 week. You don't get the roominess of the SRX. The dash of the SRX is much nicer too.

nahc
10-07-10, 11:44 PM
take another SRX! odds are with you!! We love ours.

SS

You are right. I have ruled out the CTS. I am meeting with the dealer tomorrow or tuesday. I just hope they don't charge me an extra $3,000 because it's a 2011. I bought mine in March, it's a 2010. I checked on the web and I remember what it was advertised for a few months ago. There should only be a difference of about $300 - 500. Anyway, wish me luck.

algiorda
10-08-10, 12:10 AM
I dont think the shocks were engineered properly for the weight of the vehicle. Thats what alot of people get thumping in the rear if the gas tank is full but not if its under half full. The only way to test this would be to have the car very low on gas and than put 100-200lbs of weight in the rear cargo area. If it thumps there you go. Its the suspension system

The Gas tank is NOT in the rear of the car. Crawl underneath and you will see two gas tanks one on each side of the exhaust pipes running from the front to back. Take a look; it looks evenly distributed to my eyes.

shrb
10-08-10, 02:31 AM
I have been battling this issue since March. I just filled out all the paperwork and filed a complaint with the Attorney General's Office in the state of Texas. It has only been a few days so I don't have any news. I have been told and have received a bulletin that there are strut issues, but there is not a new design. I was asked in May if I was willing to wait until there was a fix. Well, now that I am approaching a year and 22,000 miles on the car, I am getting worried they will not come through. So I filed under the lemon law. I have had it towed for a dead battery, had brake pads replaced, the back hatch module had to be replaced because it would not open while we were on vacation and the back hatch closes on you while open. It has happened to me twice, the lady at the dry cleaners and my 7 yr. old son. My car has been a problem for many months and it is time to get it right.

stevec5375
10-08-10, 08:49 AM
I see GM headed for another bankruptcy if they can't do better than this. Sheesh!

nahc
10-08-10, 10:50 AM
I have been battling this issue since March. I just filled out all the paperwork and filed a complaint with the Attorney General's Office in the state of Texas. It has only been a few days so I don't have any news. I have been told and have received a bulletin that there are strut issues, but there is not a new design. I was asked in May if I was willing to wait until there was a fix. Well, now that I am approaching a year and 22,000 miles on the car, I am getting worried they will not come through. So I filed under the lemon law. I have had it towed for a dead battery, had brake pads replaced, the back hatch module had to be replaced because it would not open while we were on vacation and the back hatch closes on you while open. It has happened to me twice, the lady at the dry cleaners and my 7 yr. old son. My car has been a problem for many months and it is time to get it right.

I am being told that the 2011 SRX does not have issues with the struts. Stay tuned...

nahc
10-08-10, 10:57 AM
They have been aware of the strut problem for a while. The document ID: 2385039 documenting this problem is dated JAN.20/2010.

acepilot66
10-08-10, 07:36 PM
For what it's worth I just got mine back from the dealer today..they replaced the front struts with a new style and installed a redesigned bracket. So far so good. No banging noise...seems to ride a bit rougher but at least the noise is gone...they also replaced the chrome mirror trim for the sixth (6) yes the sixth time on the drivers side...guess they never heard of Gorilla Glue. If the shocks start making noise again I'm filing a claim under the lemon law in Texas. I love the car but this is total BS. The car has been to the dealer a total of 13 times in 22,000 miles since January 2010. I bought a new Dodge Challenger SRT8 last year and it has never been in shop for anything! I'm considering trading the Dodge for a new CTS V Coupe...that is one fine car....I think my car was built by locals drinking Tequila on a Friday afternoon just before quitting time. Not sure Mexico is the place to be building cars.

FredR
10-16-10, 04:17 PM
CTS-V is my recommendation. Maybe the dealership will give you a good deal on one.

Smokin' SRX
10-20-10, 10:27 PM
For what it's worth I just got mine back from the dealer today..they replaced the front struts with a new style and installed a redesigned bracket. So far so good. No banging noise...seems to ride a bit rougher but at least the noise is gone...they also replaced the chrome mirror trim for the sixth (6) yes the sixth time on the drivers side...guess they never heard of Gorilla Glue. If the shocks start making noise again I'm filing a claim under the lemon law in Texas. I love the car but this is total BS. The car has been to the dealer a total of 13 times in 22,000 miles since January 2010. I bought a new Dodge Challenger SRT8 last year and it has never been in shop for anything! I'm considering trading the Dodge for a new CTS V Coupe...that is one fine car....I think my car was built by locals drinking Tequila on a Friday afternoon just before quitting time. Not sure Mexico is the place to be building cars.

That's a shame. I'd be frustrated too. Hope the new shocks work out. If not you've got a Lemon for sure. As for the rough ride.........double check the air pressure. Just a hunch........
Good luck!

SS

SS

nahc
12-12-10, 08:49 PM
Well, finally returned my 2010 SRX and got a new 2011 SRX in exchange. I have a few days to try it and make sure there are no thumping noises in the front(or any other problems). The 2011 feels different already. Maybe it's because there is a different ride with the 20" tires. I had the 18" tires on the 2010.