: Replacing DRL with leds

d3adpool
10-06-10, 06:29 PM
I've been thinking about this the last couple months but not sure if I should do it or not. I've searched on these forums but haven't found a definitive answer. Do LEDs run in fact cooler than the stock DRL? I'd like to know as i've heard mixed results on this and i'm trying to prevent the film from the heat the stock drls cause.

sk7
10-06-10, 06:44 PM
Afaik yes leds do run cooler. The socket for the DRL bulbs wasnt designed to run on a constant on application, and melts over time. This causes the white film inside the headlight. I've also been meaning to do the switch to leds on mine. Will eventually get to it.

d3adpool
10-06-10, 06:53 PM
Afaik yes leds do run cooler. The socket for the DRL bulbs wasnt designed to run on a constant on application, and melts over time. This causes the white film inside the headlight. I've also been meaning to do the switch to leds on mine. Will eventually get to it.

that's what i needed to know, thanks.

sk7
10-06-10, 07:04 PM
Lmk where u get yours. Prices on ebay do vary a lot...

d3adpool
10-06-10, 07:30 PM
Lmk where u get yours. Prices on ebay do vary a lot...

I was lookin at these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180563077007&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

CEPMAN
10-14-10, 09:10 PM
The reason that LED's run cooler is that they're diodes that emit light when electricity passes through them. Very little heat generated. Standard bulbs use filaments that get so hot that they 'glow' when light passes through them. Much heat generated.

One thing about the LED's, they're polarity sensitive. I got some and put them in, and noticed that one was inserted backwards (you don't have this problem with standard bulbs) but I liked the look, so I put the other one in backwards as well. It doesn't do any harm, it's just that there isn't any light being emitted. I never really did like DRL's

Oh, and I got the cheap ones from a local auto store

gmercedesbenz
10-14-10, 09:47 PM
I actually just did mine last week. I got a set of two off eBay for $14.78 shipped. The comment on polarity is absolutely correct. When I first installed them, only one side worked. Just had to flip the bulb around in the socket and was good to go. They aren't nearly as bright as your standard bulb, but I think they add a nice touch. I got them because all of my other lights are HID so I wanted the DRL's to also match, without having to install another HID kit.

Enano7000
10-14-10, 09:55 PM
I replaced all of the lights in my 05 Escalade with Led's. havent had any problems so far, I did it around 5 months ago.
I fell for some cheap led's of Amazon.com that were blinking, flashing and so on.
then i found this website called V-leds.com - bought a couple at first to test the out, they worked great.
so I have replaced every single light in my car (inside and out - except for the low, high beams and fog lights of course) with Led's from these guys. car looks a lot classier with these lights.
next step i am buying hid's from these same guys, kits are decently priced and but they definitely are quality products.

hope my 2 cents help!

TColeman
10-18-10, 03:16 PM
Guys, I just bought two sets of white LED lights for my DRL's and also my turn signals. Instead of goingt the HID route, I chose to upgrade the low beams to Silverstar Ultra bulbs.

I will be installing in next few weeks, what do you mean you flipped the bulb around in the socket? Anybody have pics of the install?

LAC_STS
10-18-10, 03:30 PM
V-LEDs.com sells the best LEDs IMHO.

They have amber to whilte color changing DRLs too.

You get what you pay for. I did my whole car LEDs inside and out 1 1/2 years ago and haven't changed a bulb yet. And they're all the exact 6000K color.

02ltinslc
10-18-10, 07:56 PM
+1. GO W/ V-LEDS, if you try the "cheap" ones they WILL burn out!! V-leds have a resistor that will keep them at a constant voltage. GM DRLs have voltage spikes and "regular" LEDS can't handle that.

Subsystem
10-19-10, 11:20 AM
What bulb are you guys using? I tried to replace my daylight bulbs on my 05 with the 3157 LED Bulbs and they do not work. I have tried reversing them with no luck either and they just dont come on.

If I place the same bulbs in the tail lights they work fine. I know V-LEDS sells some specifically for GM but it seems other people are using regular 3157's with no issues?

TColeman
10-19-10, 04:18 PM
I just ordered two sets of 3157's so I'm not much help. I'm sure somebody on here will chime in.

TobyJohnson11
10-21-10, 12:13 AM
I ordered a set from Vleds. I don’t remember which ones they were but they were $55 and were suppose to be designed for GM DRL. They lasted about 6 months and were burned out. I have ordered other light from VLeds and have been very pleased. I think GM has a curse on the DRL because nothing seems to last. I replaced mine over a year ago so maybe VLEDS has a new design out now. I can promise you that cheep ones won’t work. They will last a few months and they will be gone too. I have tried numerous different lights and they all burn out. If anyone can fix it it's vleds but i expect the price to be close to $100 when they do figure it out. Good luck.

trapshooter40
10-23-10, 01:45 AM
I have had mine in for over 8 months. Also bought from Vled. I started out with cheap ones from ebay but I spent more money replacing cheap ones from ebay then I would have if i just bought them from vled to start with.

I also bought a set for the fog lights and they look good but dont really give you more light when driving but hey what is more important seeing or looking good... lol

TColeman
10-26-10, 02:10 PM
I just changed out my DRL's with the LED's this weekend and it only took about 30-45 minutes start to finish. I took photos along the way if anyone is interested. It's a super cheap mod but unfortunately I bought cheap LED's so I'm not sure how long they will last.

TC

LAC_STS
10-26-10, 05:00 PM
I just changed out my DRL's with the LED's this weekend and it only took about 30-45 minutes start to finish. I took photos along the way if anyone is interested. It's a super cheap mod but unfortunately I bought cheap LED's so I'm not sure how long they will last.

TC

I bet not long. The difference in quality between v-LEDs and others is unbelieveable. If you have ordered from then before they will send you 20 and 30 % off coupons quite regularly.

You can find the coupon codes online too. I think retailmenot.com has them.