: Hail in Arizona.... What!?!?!?!?!

ben.gators
10-06-10, 04:55 PM
Storm and hail in Texas, OK, In Colorado, yeah, makes sense, Kansas, why not!
But in Arizona in Valley area no way!!!!

Yesterday we had storm and hail in the middle of the desert! Look at these youtubes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-CCskuVDcY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_-C2kb1bdc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcIMlhUPz40

They were as big as gulf ball! And yes, a considerable number of cars were damaged and totaled!.... Hail was reported in 7 different areas of the valley... In other places that they did not get any share of the hail, storm compensated! .... A lot of broken trees, windows, roofs.......

I was speaking with couple of people that have been living in valley area for more than 30-40 years, and they said that they never have seen something like this!

Yesterday morning before the storm or hail I drove to a Park N Drive and left the STS there and then went to the university for 10 hours. I spent all the time inside building and never realized what is exactly happening outside!

When I returned back to pick up my car every thing was normal, except the car was pretty wet because of rain and storm... I still did not realized how strong the storm was! I returned home and late in night when I was watching news I realized that what a terrible storm and hail we had and from what a bad condition my car survived! It seems that in the area I have parked, there was no hail! But there were a lot of people in the valley that were not lucky like me!

Hail damage is very rare in the area and local channels have special programs describing people what to do to for hail damage and insurance claim!

Here are a few pics that I took this morning from the complex I live in. Fortunately there was no serious damage in the area. However you can see that still storm has left some thing behind itself!

Broken trees:

http://i51.tinypic.com/3505aj4.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/rkois6.jpg

Water is everywhere... This is not something that you see in Arizona everyday!
http://i56.tinypic.com/2qc3yoy.jpg
It seems that this guy is still under the shock of hail! :D
http://i55.tinypic.com/15nvbk0.jpg

There is litter everywhere...
http://i55.tinypic.com/331j6sy.jpg

My covered parking spots were flooded yesterday. This is just a residue:
http://i56.tinypic.com/ra5bt1.jpg

After making sure that there will be no storm or hail during the night I parked my STS in open space.

Here is my STS, she is enjoying her nice and shiny morning after surviving the nasty storm and hail:

http://i56.tinypic.com/acengz.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/347xij4.jpg

77CDV
10-06-10, 06:05 PM
Bit late for monsoon, but not unheard of. The hail is a bit extreme, though.

orconn
10-06-10, 07:35 PM
I have seen the hail come down so heavily that it looked like it had snowed. It stayed on the ground all afternoon.

Why of the unifying experiences the my elementary school clasmates and I had growing up is we remember the day it snowed 6 inches in Pasadena! Even after I moved to the East Coast when I was ten and then returned to Pasadena when I was twenty, when we would run into somebody about our own age we would ask "Do you remember when it snowed in Pasadena?" If they answered yes you knew they were in the city in 1948!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-06-10, 07:46 PM
That's crazy. I heard there were two tornadoes just east of Flagstaff this morning. Do you guys even have civil defense sirens out there??? Arizona isn't exactly known for it's severe weather, aside from long heat stretches, so I don't see any real reason for sirens.

ben.gators
10-06-10, 07:53 PM
I have seen the hail come down so heavily that it looked like it had snowed. It stayed on the ground all afternoon.

Why of the unifying experiences the my elementary school clasmates and I had growing up is we remember the day it snowed 6 inches in Pasadena! Even after I moved to the East Coast when I was ten and then returned to Pasadena when I was twenty, when we would run into somebody about our own age we would ask "Do you remember when it snowed in Pasadena?" If they answered yes you knew they were in the city in 1948!

I have seen hail, storm, tornadoes, and very heavy snow.... But I really did not expect some thing like this in the middle of the desert...

6 inch snow in Pasadena? wow, that is too much for that part of California! I checked wiki to see what is the normal whether in Pasadena and it seems that wiki says the heaviest snow was in 1949. You may need to edit the wiki page for Pasadena if you are sure it is 1948... :D

ben.gators
10-06-10, 07:57 PM
That's crazy. I heard there were two tornadoes just east of Flagstaff this morning. Do you guys even have civil defense sirens out there??? Arizona isn't exactly known for it's severe weather, aside from long heat stretches, so I don't see any real reason for sirens.

Tornadoes in Arizona! Wow! As far as I know there is no civil defense siren around!
It seems Arizona is going crazy... The shocking point is as far as I know there was no forecasting for hail at least in this intensity. It left everybody in shock!

77CDV
10-06-10, 08:51 PM
I've only seen snow actually fall once in my lifetime, in 1988, in the San Fernando Valley. It had mostly melted by late afternoon, but it sure did look odd to see it. Other than that, I've had to travel to the snow if I wanted to see it up close, and you all can guess how often that's happend.

ga_etc
10-06-10, 09:33 PM
That's really strange. My aunt lives in Maricopa. I wonder if the weather got bad around there. BTW, I dig the spoiler on your STS.

orconn
10-06-10, 11:12 PM
I have seen hail, storm, tornadoes, and very heavy snow.... But I really did not expect some thing like this in the middle of the desert...

6 inch snow in Pasadena? wow, that is too much for that part of California! I checked wiki to see what is the normal whether in Pasadena and it seems that wiki says the heaviest snow was in 1949. You may need to edit the wiki page for Pasadena if you are sure it is 1948... :D

You are right about the year, Ben! I was shooting form the hip on the year .... after all I was only 6 years old, but those of us who were there remember it well. My famoly moved back to California from the East Coast in 1947.

ben.gators
10-07-10, 06:57 PM
That's really strange. My aunt lives in Maricopa. I wonder if the weather got bad around there. BTW, I dig the spoiler on your STS.

Yes, Sevilles, especially 5th gen really need an spoiler since the back end of the car is a bit slim and spoiler makes it more muscular... Without spoiler I feel like something is missing in Sevilles... But there are some micro cracks on my spoiler that really pisses me off when I see them, it seems that the plastic spoiler does not last as much as the body does!

ben.gators
10-07-10, 07:03 PM
Huh, yes, we had tornadoes in Arizona, and dozen of homes were destroyed. Fortunately there were no serious casualties, but most of the people that lost their homes have no insurance for tornado damages! Yeah, no one was expecting tornadoes in AZ .... Tornadoes tossed around cars and even full size RVs and heavy train cars!!!

ben.gators
10-07-10, 07:04 PM
You are right about the year, Ben! I was shooting form the hip on the year .... after all I was only 6 years old, but those of us who were there remember it well. My famoly moved back to California from the East Coast in 1947.

Any plan to return back to California again or not? It seems that you still love there a lot!

orconn
10-07-10, 07:35 PM
Southern California was not only my birthplace but also my home for most of my adult life. I only moved to Virginia so my wife could be closer to her parents and we could be closer to our son, who chose to be educated in the East and now is anchored to the East by his career.

While I love California, the place, the people and the idea of the place; it has become dificult to live there. The cost of living in California as a retiree makes it undesirable for those of less than unlimited means. The traffic and the taxes are among the worst (if not the worst in the country) and both must only get worse before they get better.

California is a wonderful if you are making a very good "California" income and can enjoy all that the the Golden State has to offer, but if you have seen your income level off or you are on a much more fixed income there are other places that make your dollars go alot further. Like New York City, California is great for the rich and better for the poor .... but a stretch for those who fall in between. I have lived both places and have been able to take advantage of greatness of NYC and L.A., but now the hazzles and expense of those cities make the Old Dominion seem just about right!

77CDV
10-07-10, 08:01 PM
^That. California has become a great place to visit, but I'm more than ready to live elsewhere.

ben.gators
10-07-10, 09:41 PM
^That. California has become a great place to visit, but I'm more than ready to live elsewhere.

California is great, will visit it again during christmas holidays! :D But why do you want to leave California? My perfect place to live is California, more specifically San Diego!

ben.gators
10-07-10, 09:48 PM
Southern California was not only my birthplace but also my home for most of my adult life. I only moved to Virginia so my wife could be closer to her parents and we could be closer to our son, who chose to be educated in the East and now is anchored to the East by his career.

While I love California, the place, the people and the idea of the place; it has become dificult to live there. The cost of living in California as a retiree makes it undesirable for those of less than unlimited means. The traffic and the taxes are among the worst (if not the worst in the country) and both must only get worse before they get better.

California is a wonderful if you are making a very good "California" income and can enjoy all that the the Golden State has to offer, but if you have seen your income level off or you are on a much more fixed income there are other places that make your dollars go alot further. Like New York City, California is great for the rich and better for the poor .... but a stretch for those who fall in between. I have lived both places and have been able to take advantage of greatness of NYC and L.A., but now the hazzles and expense of those cities make the Old Dominion seem just about right!

I can see people moving from California to Arizona. Price of a nice home in San Francisco is more than one million dollars, but here in Valley, for example chandler which is a nice place to live, you can buy a wonderful home for just 250K- 300K$ and even less. Excluding home, I personally did not see a lot of difference in price tag of other things, unless you want to shop in wilshire blvd. However as you said, I am waiting for a job with descent salary.. else life will not be very enjoyable in golden state!

77CDV
10-07-10, 11:05 PM
California is great, will visit it again during christmas holidays! :D But why do you want to leave California? My perfect place to live is California, more specifically San Diego!

I can see people moving from California to Arizona. Price of a nice home in San Francisco is more than one million dollars, but here in Valley, for example chandler which is a nice place to live, you can buy a wonderful home for just 250K- 300K$ and even less. Excluding home, I personally did not see a lot of difference in price tag of other things, unless you want to shop in wilshire blvd. However as you said, I am waiting for a job with descent salary.. else life will not be very enjoyable in golden state!

There you have it. Silly housing prices coupled with confiscatory tax rates (a product of our over-generous welfare and state employee pension benefits) make CA financially unattractive to the average working person. It's not that I can't afford to continue living here, but I really have better things to do with my money than throw it down the rathole that is CA state government.

Stingroo
10-07-10, 11:06 PM
Come to Florida. :D

On topic though -- I've never actually seen hail in person before.

77CDV
10-07-10, 11:11 PM
Hail is cool (as long as neither you nor your car is out in it). I haven't seen any in a long time. I live too close to the coast now, and the Pacific moderates the temperature and stabilzes the air too much to allow it. I saw it more often growing up in the Valley.

As for FL, I keep telling you, banish the hurricanes and humidity, and I'm there! :p

Stingroo
10-07-10, 11:15 PM
We have a place like that. It's called Jacksonville.

orconn
10-07-10, 11:33 PM
I don't know about prices of goods and services in the Phoenix area, but the difference in costs between Virginia and California are very different. Cost of housing in Richmond is anywhere from 25% to 50% lower depending on square footage and neighborhood. Interestingly as you go up in class of housing here the percentage compared to L.A. housing cost drops; i.e. the equivalent of $500,000. house in L.A. might cost $200-225,000 in Richmond, but a $2.5000,000. hose in L.A. would cost $500,000 t0 $750,000. Ofcourse, real estate taxes as % of home value are higher in Richmob than in L.A. ( but still considerably lower). Sales tax in VA is 5% while it is 8 1/2% in L.A. However food is cheaper in California than in VA, and so are services such as dry cleaning, haircuts, car wash, house cleaning, general garden and house repair. State income tax is much lowere in VA than CA, so are various state excise taxes, and insurance (household and auto, personal liabillity etc. are cheaper) costs are much cheaper in VA (particualrly for a young driver in an urban area). On balance, because housing costs (acquisition and taxes,insurance) are so much less capital intensive in VA, and income and other taxes are so much lower, VA is a cheaper place to live than CA. Salaries are also lower in VA than in CA.

Of course in VA there are a lot of things to miss from living in CA. Dining out is a chore as opposed to a delight in L.A. While the scenery is very nice in Va, it can't compare with CA IMO. The varieties of experiences culturally, business wise, and life style wise can't compare in Va to CA. You are not really at the center of anything in VA, except if you live in the suburbs of D.C. and that is a whole different situation both costwise and quality of life from Richmond.

I would not have liked to have spent my active career years in Richmond as opposed to Southern California. But, ofcourse, one's personal desires and needs make a big difference to each individual as to the best place to live!

ben.gators
10-08-10, 02:00 AM
Come to Florida. :D

On topic though -- I've never actually seen hail in person before.

Florida? No, thank you! I am not returning back! :D
I do love to experience mid-west for awhile... who knows, I may take a post doctoral position in a university in mid-west for one year! Me and my car will hate that cold whether, but there are other things that make that area attractive to me. I have heard a lot about life in midwest and like to experience it for awhile...

ben.gators
10-08-10, 12:56 PM
but I really have better things to do with my money than throw it down the rathole that is CA state government.

You need to have a serious talk with Mr. Governor! and at the end when you are done do not forget to say Hasta La Vista Baby! :D

ben.gators
10-08-10, 01:21 PM
I don't know about prices of goods and services in the Phoenix area, but the difference in costs between Virginia and California are very different. Cost of housing in Richmond is anywhere from 25% to 50% lower depending on square footage and neighborhood. Interestingly as you go up in class of housing here the percentage compared to L.A. housing cost drops; i.e. the equivalent of $500,000. house in L.A. might cost $200-225,000 in Richmond, but a $2.5000,000. hose in L.A. would cost $500,000 t0 $750,000. Ofcourse, real estate taxes as % of home value are higher in Richmob than in L.A. ( but still considerably lower). Sales tax in VA is 5% while it is 8 1/2% in L.A. However food is cheaper in California than in VA, and so are services such as dry cleaning, haircuts, car wash, house cleaning, general garden and house repair. State income tax is much lowere in VA than CA, so are various state excise taxes, and insurance (household and auto, personal liabillity etc. are cheaper) costs are much cheaper in VA (particualrly for a young driver in an urban area). On balance, because housing costs (acquisition and taxes,insurance) are so much less capital intensive in VA, and income and other taxes are so much lower, VA is a cheaper place to live than CA. Salaries are also lower in VA than in CA.

It seems that hous

Of course in VA there are a lot of things to miss from living in CA. Dining out is a chore as opposed to a delight in L.A. While the scenery is very nice in Va, it can't compare with CA IMO. The varieties of experiences culturally, business wise, and life style wise can't compare in Va to CA. You are not really at the center of anything in VA, except if you live in the suburbs of D.C. and that is a whole different situation both costwise and quality of life from Richmond.

I would not have liked to have spent my active career years in Richmond as opposed to Southern California. But, ofcourse, one's personal desires and needs make a big difference to each individual as to the best place to live!

hum, It seems that houses in VA are more expensive than in AZ, and as far as I know AZ is among the cheapest states in terms of housing prices and rent. It is hard to believe, but there are some houses to sale in Phoenix area for 30K$, do not ask about the area and neighbors, but still it is a house... 30K$ is ridiculously cheap even for a home in a bad neighborhood!

About food, I found LA almost as cheap as AZ. Whenever I go to LA I stay in Beverly Hills. No, I am not that much rich, I just know a very great apartment complex that rents the units on a daily basis, 80$ a night, and that is an smoking deal. Anyway, whenever I shop in Beverly Hills (excluding those very fancy stores), I see that the amount of stuff I get for my money is as much as I get in AZ... And I guess the prices in other areas of LA should be even cheaper than that.

Extra 2.5% tax, hum, it will be 2500$ for 100K$ salary each year! Still not very bad. One can assume has trashed that money for a pair of struts on his STS!

The home prices is the only real challenge that I can see!

77CDV
10-08-10, 03:13 PM
You need to have a serious talk with Mr. Governor! and at the end when you are done do not forget to say Hasta La Vista Baby! :D

Ah-nuld is a lame duck. Depending on the outcome in November, I may have to address my comments to Ms. Governess!

orconn
10-08-10, 03:30 PM

"Mr. Governor" the Governator to us, listen and ran headlong into the state legislature and federal mandates both of which exact a terrible toll on the Cailifornia's taxe payers. Not a lot the governor can do about a lot of the state's entitilement costs. The real problem with California is that it is so attractive to many Americans and non Americans alike that the place has attracted many people that cannot pay their own way.

orconn
10-08-10, 03:40 PM
With the exception of the special show rooms of the "name" stores in Beverly Hills, bargains can be had in many of the shops and stores. Beverly Hills is a very competitive marketplace and many who shop there, not the tabloid types, are very price conscious. For four years I had an office across the street from the Beverly Wilshire Hotel and would walk the neighborhood (Rodeo Drive) for exercise, I can tell you deep discount sales are a weekly fixture in the area.