: Crazy idea, Anyone ever thought of going turbo?

Kael
10-06-10, 12:59 PM
Yeah, you heard me.
That would be insane but it would be one hell of a power adder.

You could remove the impellers from the supercharger and then the pulley and have a plate to block it off so the belt doesn't go to it anymore.
Then plumb a huge turbo to the old housing that would then act as a plenum chamber.

Or maybe two smaller turbos but I am not sure what would happen if they were both feeding into a common plenum as far pressure distribution goes.

That way the car could use its big V-8 to launch off the line with less torque so it could actually get moving and then the turbo(s) kick in and you just rocket forward.

mannyz
10-06-10, 03:21 PM
I've heard rumors of twin-turbo setups for 800+rwhp applications.....heard.

Gary Wells
10-06-10, 05:05 PM
Those are not rumors. There are already CTS-V's & STS-V's out there with turbos. Dual turbos even. There's even a company that either makes or did make a kit either for these cars or very adaptable to these cars. I personally believe that if it is a s/c'ed car out of the factory, then it is better and less pricey to improve upon that design than to re-create the wheel in a different configuration. On TurboBuick.Com there's always someone who wants to remove the turbo and replace with a S/C. Or better yet, they want to replace the auto with a clutch. There's a dual turboed STS-V or CTS-V over in either Arizona or New Mexico just done by D3. Put out 550 or 650 RWHP, I believe.
I would rather spend the $$ on good single malt scotch than retrofitting.

Luna.
10-07-10, 12:50 AM
It's a thought, but you'd REALLY need to love the feel of a turbo to go through all the cost and headache of making that switch.

GMX322V S/C
10-07-10, 01:26 AM
...and at that point, you're fundamentally changing the character of the motor/car so much, why stop there? To make it worthwhile, you'll want to go forged internals and lighten the valvetrain (a la LS9), and if you're going to go that far, may as well punch it out to a 427, or punch/stroke it out to a 454 even.

Mike 09 V
10-07-10, 01:31 AM
I would rather spend the $$ on good single malt scotch than retrofitting.

Gary, I unfortunately had to attend a funeral for a friend last month. He was half Irish and half Scottish. He had several bottles of very good single malt scotch and a stack of plastic shot glasses laid out next to his coffin, so his friends could have a drink with him for the last time. I thought it was such a good idea that I asked my wife to have the same thing laid out for me when the time comes. He and I had several drinks. (Actually it was just me, I'm sure he approved!). First time I ever saw something like that, but why the hell not?

Domsz06
10-07-10, 08:38 AM
anything is possible, just takes time and money.

personally if I want a insane hp v, i'd get a different block, make it all forged, and get some true 650 rwhp NA, and then throw a 200 shot on it for when you really wanted it. Get rid of the issues with belt slip, or bleeding boost... but that's just me if I had deep pockets.

BeagleBrains
10-07-10, 08:57 PM
http://www.ststurbo.com/c6_corvette_
This is one example (of many). Turbo Charger lag due to engine acceleration required to "spin up" the Turbo to an effective boost range is one argument against Turbos, favoring the instantaneous SuperCharger boost at the low end. Either is a compromise with each design losing effectiveness.
Porsche twin Turbos operate at different boost ranges to provide a broader power band. One of the original Toyota MR2 engine designs encorporated both a SuperCharger plus a Turbo Charger, giving a really broad power band. The bottom end had better be stout. Maybe a little NOS as well!?:hmm:
http://www.smokinvette.com/corvette/parts/dragon-corvette-superchargers/ They have a CTS V application.
Whipple Super Chargers boost outputs at a lower temperature therefore more horsepower gain.
The bottom of my pocket shows up before the limits of my budget. I think GM gave us a marvelously affordable bang for the buck..

PGA2B
10-08-10, 01:44 PM
The 2 fastest Grand Prix GTP's (Yes I said GTP's) are both Turbo and Supercharged and running 8's in a front wheel drive V6 GM.

ZZP Performance:
The Worlds fastest FWD 3800- 8.6582 @ 158.97mph
Highest HP FWD 3800 870WHP

The other is Intense Racing.

Kael
10-08-10, 01:51 PM
pga2b
I was not aware that zoomers car was twin charged.
I had thought he rebuilt the twin turbo car to have on giant turbo instead.

Twincharging has always been a pain due to the piping.

PGA2B
10-08-10, 02:00 PM
pga2b
I was not aware that zoomers car was twin charged.
I had thought he rebuilt the twin turbo car to have on giant turbo instead.

Twincharging has always been a pain due to the piping.

Are you an old GP guy? I was and still am PGA2B_2004 on ClubGP (Old School guy) just don't go there much anymore.

Back to Zooomer:

I have a video of it somewhere. It was when he was Supercharged & Turbo'd before he changed to the super monster turbo. It was back when Tim first started messing with his Stattama turbo project.

Kael
10-08-10, 02:12 PM
heh, guilty.
and you think YOU are oldschool?
I had a 97 late build gtp, joined the club in 98, survived the server crash and re uped on the board in 2000.
Still Kaeghl on that board, occasionally post in general but mostly hang out in other topics when I am around.
had all sorts of mods that made the car fun.

had the cadillac since 2005. the 255 hp and 5 forward gears are lots of fun.
had some other toy cars but man.. I miss my gtp.
figured getting a V (leaning toward an 08 sts-v right now) would be a good choice.
There is just nothing like the feeling of a blower.

I was actually thinking about the turbo'd gtp's when I started this thread. Wondering if anyone had done it since these 09+ cts-v beasts seem to boil the tires so much that the slight lag of a turbo build might be advantageous.

PGA2B
10-08-10, 02:27 PM
I too miss the thrust to weight of my GTP. I had a 97 Black Coupe and a 99 Silver Sedan. I was modded to the max with the 99 and was a DHP Powrtuner Beta Tester....... You can go to my CarDomain page and see my GTP (You might remember it). I also had a 02 Lincoln LSE that made me REALLY missed the whine of a blower. I even tried to put a Stang Cobra Blower on it.

Anyway........I absolutely LOVE my STS-V.

jedhead
10-08-10, 02:46 PM
Turbos and Superchargers have been used together in diesel applications; a 65ft boat the SEALS used for insertion and extraction had twin 750hp Detroit Diesels with a roots blower and turbosupercharger. D3 installed twin turbos on a STS-V. I met the guy who was having this done, but I was not able to see the completed car.

Bob

chrswk
10-08-10, 05:08 PM
I don't know if this applies to our engine, but even Vokswagen has a 1.4 liter engine that is both turbo and supercharged (used in the new VW Polo GTI). So why not both?