: Does the STS without the Brembo option use the same pads/rotors as the STS without?

stevenriz
10-06-10, 12:41 PM
I have 2mm left on the front pads and 3mm left on the back so it's time to replace the pads. Not bad for 60000 miles. All highway obviously...Reason I'm asking is I am in the market for brakes and when I go online, I see many different ones. Ceramic and Metalic. Are all the sizes the same? I can't find any part numbers that show otherwise so I think I am all set with whatever I decide to get.

EChas3
10-06-10, 11:03 PM
You will find many opinions. OEM are semi-metallic. Critics say they produce too much brake dust. As with almost all of the STS designers' choices, they are the result of good engineering; a reasonable compromise of competing concerns.

Since your priorities are likely to be different than the average buyer, it's no surprise if you make a different choice. Have fun!

RippyPartsDept
10-06-10, 11:29 PM
i would recommend a durastop (acdelco) ceramic if you want a cheaper but still OEM spec pad

JE5 vs JL9 will make a big difference in getting the right pads
which one do you have or what is your VIN?
i can check the durastops and other aftermarket alternatives for you

stevenriz
10-07-10, 07:03 AM
So I "believe" I have JE5 which is part of 1SG correct?

My VIN is 1G6DC67A450198067 am I correct that I have JE5?

BaTu
10-07-10, 10:09 AM
The easiest way to determine what options your car was built with Exactly, is to look at the "build codes" located on a large sticker, above the spare tire, on the cover that goes over it. Open your trunk, lift the carpeted door over the spare and see them all there.

In that list you'll see "JE5" as one of the "builds"....

RippyPartsDept
10-07-10, 03:30 PM
correct JE5

acdelco durastop ceramic brake pad is #19137354 $85.90 (list price) - i have a set in stock and can sell them for $50 plus some shipping

you might be able to find them locally for about the same price

stevenriz
10-08-10, 10:54 AM
Thanks, would you have both front and rears as well? I live in central MA area. What about rotors? I may replace the fronts just so I don't have to go out of my way to get them cut...

RippyPartsDept
10-08-10, 03:56 PM
rear durstop (acdelco aftermarket brand) pads will be the same price as the fronts

rotors will up your shipping price, but I can get pretty decent prices on either the acdelco or parts plus brand rotors
i'll have a bunch of time on saturdays usually so you can give me a call between 8 and 2 so we can discuss your options

stevenriz
10-08-10, 05:03 PM
let me have your number either here or via private message. Thanks for the help!

RippyPartsDept
10-08-10, 05:23 PM
it's in my signature (you must have them turned off in your settings)
1-800-RIPPY-22

i forget that lots of people have them turned off and don't see my contact info