: piston slap now!? come onnnn!?!?!?

H-Dmechanic
10-06-10, 09:03 AM
anyone else have this problem? to me it sounds like piston slap, when i fire up the batillac in the am she rattles like crazy. right at 120 degrees the rattle goes right away like it was never there. is this slap or stuck ring or carbon? anyone have any ideas?

Submariner409
10-06-10, 10:02 AM
anyone else have this problem? to me it sounds like piston slap, when i fire up the batillac in the am she rattles like crazy. right at 120 degrees the rattle goes right away like it was never there. is this slap or stuck ring or carbon? anyone have any ideas?

Read the Cadillac Technical Archive up in the black bar ^^^. Especially the article "Occasional full throttle operation........". There's a reference to Northstar "cold carbon rap". Not uncommon. And know that Northstar pistons WILL rock in the bore in a cold engine. Read the Northstar design papers posted here and there, in Technical Discussion: Tech Tips and Google. Heating, cooling, iron cast-in liners and heat deformation, piston skirt coatings. Short pistons. Ring sticking in grooves.

Ranger
10-06-10, 11:59 AM
:yeah:
Not uncommon and not serious. Drive it like you stole it. A few good WOT runs should quiet it down.