: New in this forum-Going for a Caddy

CADforce69
10-05-10, 06:57 PM
Hi, Iīm new in this forum but my fondness for cadillacs is not new. I have always admired these powerful and magnificent cars, some of them true rolling sculptures, representing the top of automotive industry during the 40-60's. I have always lived in Spain so when I was a little boy cadillacs where extremely rare in this country -only few units arrived here throughout history-. Most people had Renaults, Citroëns, Seats (Fiats made in Spain), small and simple european 70's cars and american cars in general were considered like a kind of spaceships or very expensive cars only for the rich. I watched american cars and specially cadillacs on TV and movies and comparison with local cars seemed impossible. Now many classic caddies are being imported.

Some years ago I almost bought a 67 Brougham in practically perfect condition for a good price but someone beat me to it and I bought finally another classic car: a Dodge 3700GT made in Spain that I had to keep, repair and improve introducing me in this world. Now I am looking again for a cadillac, my old childhood dream. Itīs not easy as supply is reduced here in Spain but demand is not too big as most people is afraid of fuel consumption, part supply, difficulties to locate some workshop willing to repair them and size itself in a country where 5 meter long parking spaces are considered big. Many think Iīm crazy:cookoo: for getting in "a trouble like this":lol: but I donīt wanna die without achieving this dream. Now I have friends willing to help me with it.

Itīs a pleasure becoming a member of this forum. I have even got a 67-89 cadillac repair manual to start getting familiar with all the details of these cars but I have a lot of things to learn to keep and repair my own cadillac in a close future -I hope-. I also hope to learn a lot of things in this forum. Promise uploading photos when I buy my first cadillac

RippyPartsDept
10-05-10, 08:16 PM
:welcome:
keep us posted on your "hunt"

CADforce69
10-06-10, 01:08 PM
:welcome:
keep us posted on your "hunt"

Thank you for your welcome, rippypartsmaster,

The first part of this adventure took me last august to Caceres, in southwestern Spain, where a 65 4door DeVille was for sale. The price was initially 9500 € but was lowered to 8700 € ($11,756). The ad announced that interior was in perfect condition, engine and transmission good but needed some tunnig and body in very good condition (restored). ITV (Compulsory annual technical inspection) was not passed yet. The car was used for many years for weddings and other ceremonies according to owners but in the past 2-3 years did not move. It was registered when new in Madrid (Spain) in march 1966 and had the original Spanish license plate. It had just one owner before the present one but we discovered -asking for a report to the Traffic Department- that had a court seizure on it from 1997. The car belonged to the uncle of the guy who was selling the caddy and he told that he did not know anything about it.

When I arrived at the parking where the car was stored, first impression was not very good as paint seemed old and worn. Besides it had some scratches on it. I saw something in the ad pics and asked the seller but he assured that paint was perfect (I think he was anxious to sell). Some rust in front bumper -maybe superficial but I could not tell- and black leather interior in good condition. For the rest, the car seemed to have been fairly cared but painted maybe 8-10 years ago (and washed with a scourer). Painting these cars in Spain can cost more than $4,000 and this car needed it. I was told that the car could not be moved outside the parking, as it had no ITV nor Insurance policy, what made me doubtful about how could brakes or transmission be but I was told that they guaranteed that everything was Ok and if something should be done it could be at their expense (to start with, "brakes needed to be bleeded". The truth was that when they managed to start it, the brake pedal sank). Starting was difficult (as you can see in the video I have uploaded) in spite that they said that the car was started the day before. Finally carburator had to be filled with some gasoline but I did not like how it run. My plan was buying it, passing ITV and driving the car 300 kms. to Madrid, where I live but I saw it impossible. Ignition and carburation needed to be checked as well as brakes. In addition, the high cost of painting the car in the future and the court seizure (The owner supposedly was going to fix it). It needed urgently new tyres but I counted on it in advance.

In conclusion, the car was not what I had been told and I trusted the seller less and less so I did not even drive the car by that parking full of columns. This is the video I recorded of that experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhTu9dPD-94

Expert opinions are welcome.

Afterwords, the owners recorded an advertising video showing the car in better condition. Real paint state can not be appreciated in this video: http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=DOi5u1StZc4

RippyPartsDept
10-06-10, 01:47 PM
nice car, but yeah it definitely needs some work