: Bad News for my Limo

turbojimmy
10-05-10, 04:23 PM
Well, after looking for the source of the oil leak I found that it was due to a bad piston pressurizing the crankcase. I don't think the previous owner knew, and I still would have bought the car (albeit for about $500 less). I think I'm just going to swap it out with another good running LT1. I have family in the salvage biz and he has several of them at the moment.

It's a setback, but I've really grown to love this car over the past few days. It's definitely worth investing in.

I put new tires on it today, and I'm having the PCM flashed to eliminate the Secondary AIR system on Friday. If I can get it through inspection I'll deal with it in the Spring. If not, I'll yank the engine out over the coming weeks.

thefleetwoodguy
10-05-10, 07:06 PM
sorry to hear that
remember the 1996
is a 1 year only engine
since its obd2, it has4 oxy sensors, (no problem there)
but also has a crank sensor, not found on the 94/95
you probably know this , too bad your not a bit closer
as I have access to a 96 motor

turbojimmy
10-05-10, 08:59 PM
I wasn't aware of the differences. I'll probably rebuild a longblock anyway and swap all the '96 externals over to it. I assume the crank sensor is something I can move over, too. My uncle has a few of them. I need to call tomorrow to see what sort of mileage is on them. They're all still in the cars so he can run 'em and pick the best one (i.e., one that doesn't do what mine does).

sven914
10-05-10, 09:20 PM
^I believe the crank position sensor is mounted in the timing cover, so you need to swap that to the new engine.

turbojimmy
10-06-10, 01:08 PM
^I believe the crank position sensor is mounted in the timing cover, so you need to swap that to the new engine.

Yeah, I'll have to do that.

In the meantime I put some Rislone "Compression Restorer and Ring Seal" in it. Believe it or not, it cured it for now. I may be able to get it through inspection, and the winter, without yanking the engine. That'll give me time to rebuild the junkyard engine.

jayoldschool
10-06-10, 04:17 PM
Have you done a compression check on all cylinders?

turbojimmy
10-06-10, 05:30 PM
Have you done a compression check on all cylinders?

Not yet. I have a leakdown tester but I haven't been able to locate it (trouble with loaning tools to people). I have a compression tester, too, but would rather do a leakdown.

In the meantime, I'm going to pick up a decent core from my uncle. The question is to mod or not to mod?

csbuckn
10-06-10, 05:41 PM
mod!!!

turbojimmy
10-06-10, 05:44 PM
mod!!!

It would be cool to get around 400 HP out of it, but I don't know what's possible with the OBDII. I need to pass state emissions, which means plugging into the OBDII and not seeing any codes.

sven914
10-06-10, 11:24 PM
Unfortunately, living in a state which requires emissions testing limits any modifications you can do to the engine. Even if it was OBD-1, the engine would still have to meet the emission requirements established at the factory. So until the car is not required to meet emissions or you move to a state that does not do testing, it would be best to leave the engine as stock as possible.

jayoldschool
10-06-10, 11:33 PM
You can heavily mod the LT1 and easily pass emissions. OBD 1 or 2. It comes down to the specs on the cam, and the computer tune. In fact, you can keep two PCMs ready to go so you can have one for HP, and one to pass emissions. Only four plugs to swap them out ;)

Also, if they don't do a sniffer, just the plug in, you have nothing to worry about.

csbuckn
10-06-10, 11:41 PM
I would of thought living with emissions would make modding a car a frustrating adventure.

cadillac_al
10-07-10, 06:23 AM
Maybe the rings are just carboned up from idling around too much. Is it a high mileage car? If so, it may be worn out after all.

turbojimmy
10-07-10, 07:30 AM
I would of thought living with emissions would make modding a car a frustrating adventure.

Nah, it's not so bad. Particularly since they did away with the actual inspections this year. Now they just plug in and look for the OK from the OBDII computer.

The car has 98k miles on it, which I wouldn't consider "high miles" for an LT1, but who knows? I'll have to research my engine options while I try to nurse this one along.