: Considering removal of Brake Ducts for dragstrip, need opinions

cbloveday
10-05-10, 11:29 AM
I was considering doing the following for my next day at the drag strip. The air will be cold and I was wondering if it will allow better access of cold air into the engine bay.

Removal of Brake ducts (aid incoming air to engine bay)
Removal of weather strip just under hood near windshield (allow venting)
remove top plastic shroud near hood latch (vent air near heat exchanger)

Am I being rediculous?

gnxs
10-05-10, 11:41 AM
If you redirect cold air from that duct to the W4M CAI, you "might" see a very minimal gain (it's not a sealed enclosed or ram-air type of system). I guess if it's not alot of work you could try it, but I wouldn't do it if it involves alot of modification.

It's obvious to me that the filter is getting a decent amount of cold-air as is (based on the 2 mph I picked up in the cooler air last week). I think you'll see 130-131+ trap speeds with no changes if we just get the kind of air I had Sunday when we go back to the track in a few weeks.

My $0.02.

Razorecko
10-05-10, 11:45 AM
Pull the brake duct under the air filter. That and maybe the windshield cowl section. That should be about it. I pulled out my brake duct the first thing. Everyone was worried about losing brake cooling but thats what we used to do on the Jeep srt8's and it made an improvement. I also found an air filter that is really long. So long that you can actualy see it in the brake duct opening. I also found a 'sock' for it to keep it from getting wet. My goal is to get a stock intake box to close out the intake from the engine bay. At that point I do not think I can go any further with cold air for the intake. We could really use a nice aftermarket vented/cowled hood though, something a little less dramatic than specter werks

BLitzkrieg
10-05-10, 11:55 AM
I can see removing the driver's side brake duct. I would no remove the shroud above the heat exchanger. I am not sure about the cowl area. The base of the windsheild is a high pressure area and may induce more air into the engine bay.

snzuloz
10-05-10, 12:16 PM
I like the idea of the brake duct removal as well as the weatherstrip at the rear, I would not recommend taking off the shroud near the hood latch (this forces the air to pass thru the rad and cooler etc). I really don't see where this car draws its air from, when you look at how sealed up the car is under the filter box area to begin with. I would like to see some product that allows fresh air in to this compartment without the loss of the brake cooling duct.

Gary Wells
10-05-10, 01:01 PM
At least 2 of the 3 mods mentioned have been tried and documented on this forum to varying degrees of success. Several people have removed the brake duct on the drivers side to aid in getting more cold air into the area of the filter element. I believe that at least 1 of the peeps, maybe Adrian, felt that it was a definite improvement in air intake. At least one other person removed the rubber strip in the windshield cowling area and liked the increased s/c whine, but stated that he could really not advise whether there was an improvement in the SOTP dyno. Quite a few of the turbo Buicks remove the half of the rubber seal at the windshield cowling area to help aid in the removal of hot air under the hood. They remove only the half on the shotgun side of the car to maintain the other side rubber to protect the electrics & sensors on the drivers side cowl. HTH. I would do at least the 2 of the 3.

cbloveday
10-05-10, 01:18 PM
I went out just now to the office garage and pulled the weatherstrip off. I shut the hood, put my hand down near the windshield and felt heat coming out. I took a moment to whip a passerby with my strip. :)

I can't help but remember a previous thread, where this was recommended and I was a naysayer due to water getting it. Upon closer look, there is a trough there which should prevent this.

Should I remove the remainder of the weatherstrip seal around the whole engine bay, to allow more draft/vent? HMMMM?

I can see where this could get out of hand. LOL

I don't want to be chewing off my tail, so to speak.

Regardless, this would be done for the strip day only, then returned to street version.

Gary Wells
10-05-10, 02:04 PM
Curtis:
Just a random thought here, but at the speed you are traveling at the end of the 1/4, I would be concerned about removing the weather strip around the whole circumference of the hood for fear that you might be allowing air to get under the hood and possibly causing a lifting effect. You might make a good helicopter imitation though.

BLitzkrieg
10-05-10, 02:17 PM
Install small fans behind the side gill vents

baabootoo
10-05-10, 03:12 PM
Bring a fan, or ice, to cool the supercharger cover between rounds too.

cbloveday
10-05-10, 03:28 PM
I do ice. :)

cbloveday
10-05-10, 03:29 PM
Curtis:
Just a random thought here, but at the speed you are traveling at the end of the 1/4, I would be concerned about removing the weather strip around the whole circumference of the hood for fear that you might be allowing air to get under the hood and possibly causing a lifting effect. You might make a good helicopter imitation though.

Now that is a scarey thought Gary.

Gary Wells
10-05-10, 03:35 PM
Not to be rude, crude, & socially unacceptable, Curtis, I don't think that the takeoff will be scary. I guarantee you that the car will not belly-flop well at 130 MPH.

Gary Wells
10-05-10, 05:03 PM
J/K, Curtis, I noticed that you got very quiet after I posted that. More politely put, I guess, would that I would think that you would want more air going out the rear than coming in the front. The car, anyway.

cbloveday
10-05-10, 07:43 PM
J/K, Curtis, I noticed that you got very quiet after I posted that. More politely put, I guess, would that I would think that you would want more air going out the rear than coming in the front. The car, anyway.

Gary, no need to apologize. I was watching Transformers Revenge of the Fallen for the 10th time with my step-son. :)

6speeder
10-06-10, 09:17 AM
If you're sitting still the weatherstrip removal at the base of the windshield helps vent out underhood air. At speed, it will do just the opposite, it will push high pressure air in, causing lift.

Prove this to yourself, scotch tape some threads to the edge of the hood where you removed the weatherstrip. At speed they will be pushed INTO the underhood area.

Domsz06
10-06-10, 10:07 AM
can I ask what the point of this removal was? Is it for weight? how much do they really weigh? or is it for more air up to the engine?

Thanks.

cbloveday
10-06-10, 10:17 AM
Air. The part is plastic

Domsz06
10-06-10, 11:54 AM
thanks clover.

Does it make a susbstantial difference?

cbloveday
10-06-10, 12:01 PM
Unclear at this point. I doubt it would be substancial. I saw alot of mustang guys removing their headlamp to allow air to their filter at the strip.

Unless it creates a volatile or negative affect on airflow, it should help. Who knows?