: question: Ported snout?

Kael
10-05-10, 12:22 PM
I was reading up on a few of you guys and I noticed that a ported supercharger snout is listed as a mod.

No I remember turning down the end of the snout on my M90 to fit even smaller pulleys but this porting has me asking a question.

So what is ported and why is it ported and what does it give you?

Thanks for educating me.

MReiland
10-05-10, 01:16 PM
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=L250080709&Store_Code=LPE&Category_Code=V3hicl41

Kael
10-05-10, 01:23 PM
umm okay, that answered nothing.

Is the 'snout' in this case where the air intake is or where the pulley attaches?

If its the intake then they should call it such.

snzuloz
10-05-10, 01:25 PM
I was reading up on a few of you guys and I noticed that a ported supercharger snout is listed as a mod.

No I remember turning down the end of the snout on my M90 to fit even smaller pulleys but this porting has me asking a question.

So what is ported and why is it ported and what does it give you?

Thanks for educating me.

The area behind the throttle body (nicknamed the snout) is ported out (machined) to aid in airflow available for the blower. Basically removes all the rough casting areas. Might give a few hp in return, mine isn't ported yet, but when I go in to replace my isolator it will be getting done.

Kael
10-05-10, 01:29 PM
ah okay the inlet.

Sorry, the snout in the normal nomenclature of roots type superchargers is usually the end with the pulley.

This makes way more sense now.

snzuloz
10-05-10, 01:29 PM
umm okay, that answered nothing.

Is the 'snout' in this case where the air intake is or where the pulley attaches?

If its the intake then they should call it such.

The "snout" is a combination of the intake cavity and blower drive assembly.

Gary Wells
10-05-10, 01:48 PM
I know of several people that have had their s/c snout polished / machined. Both have claimed from 5 to 6 RWHP and / or RWTQ, but both have advised that this mod enhances the off idle throttle response and reduces the hesitation / transition between idle & throttle. HTH

Dr. Design
10-05-10, 09:39 PM
Hello,
Well it has pretty much already been covered, what a ported snout is. Now it is important to understand that just removing material will not net you the best gains. There are areas that are more important than others when porting the snout. We have particular areas in which we focus our attention to based on flow bench numbers.

If you need a ported snout, give us a call and we can get you taken care of. We offer 2 different versions. 1 for standard dia TB's and one for 100mm+ TB's.

You can find more information about our blueprinted blower snouts on our website:

http://www.d3cadillac.com/products/d3-blower-snout-for-09-cts-v

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

DrumStix
10-06-10, 01:09 AM
Hello,
Well it has pretty much already been covered, what a ported snout is. Now it is important to understand that just removing material will not net you the best gains. There are areas that are more important than others when porting the snout. We have particular areas in which we focus our attention to based on flow bench numbers.

If you need a ported snout, give us a call and we can get you taken care of. We offer 2 different versions. 1 for standard dia TB's and one for 100mm+ TB's.

You can find more information about our blueprinted blower snouts on our website:

http://www.d3cadillac.com/products/d3-blower-snout-for-09-cts-v

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Why does everything need to turn into a sales pitch when a forum member asks a question? And what the frig are you talking about with this blueprinted this and blueprinted that garbage? You toss that term around like a red neck from 1973 with this 3/4 cam and blueprinted race motor. You have no clue what you're talking about. Show the blueprints and what you paid to have them done for the snout. Like it even makes business sense to do. CA fraud.

cbloveday
10-06-10, 01:51 AM
Here is the difference FWIW.

D3
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/porting/d3blower.jpg

MINE
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/porting/DSC_0540.jpg

Domsz06
10-06-10, 08:58 AM
looks the exact same but smoother.... FWIW...

cbloveday
10-06-10, 09:08 AM
actually if you look closer, there was some additional material removed in the upper left rear portion on mine.

I thought about removing the TB and sanding it smoother but I do not want to mess with what works for me.

PGA2B
10-06-10, 09:50 AM
All you need to do is to get a flapper wheel and your dremmel and polish it up a bit and yours will look as good if not better.....:thumbsup:

wait4me
10-06-10, 10:45 AM
I leave them ruff like that on purpose. A flapper sanding wheel would smooth that right out, but it makes more hp/ more flow with it ruff like that for some reason. That is why i leave them in that finish. I guess think of a golf ball effect. A ball goes half the distance with it smooth.

PGA2B
10-06-10, 11:06 AM
It must have to do with Aerodynamics and Flow Rates correct?

cbloveday
10-06-10, 11:10 AM
See what I mean :) Thanks Jesse "The Boost" Bubb

Kael
10-06-10, 01:53 PM
I am not really surprised your are seeing better flow with the rough surface.

Look up the history of golf balls, the dimples cause surface turbulence that allows the golf ball to fly through the air much better, they do the same thing on the wings of jets. The rough surface causes sort of a buffer zone.

The smooth surface creates drag all over the place.

This is a pretty simple and straightforward port and polish job, not really cutting edge or even amazing.
Now that is not to say that I do not endorse getting it done professionally. Many do it yourselfers can screw up in a lot of ways.
Imagine removing TOO MUCH material and losing structural integrity or cause a bigger airflow problem.

I was unaware of the configuration of the blower on the cts-v. I figured it was the standard 'inlet at one end, pulley at the other' arrangement.
I can see from the pics that they did some weird plumbing to have the inlet on the front next to the pulley.

Man, that would make it a pain to replace the blower with something better then.

gnxs
10-06-10, 03:02 PM
I was unaware of the configuration of the blower on the cts-v. I figured it was the standard 'inlet at one end, pulley at the other' arrangement.
I can see from the pics that they did some weird plumbing to have the inlet on the front next to the pulley.

Man, that would make it a pain to replace the blower with something better then.
The pulley is still in a convenient spot and I imagine routing up a new intake configuration wouldn't be all that hard. Now we just need Whipple or Kenne-Bell to make a unit for us. :bouncy:

DrumStix
10-06-10, 03:25 PM
All you need to do is to get a flapper wheel and your dremmel and polish it up a bit and yours will look as good if not better.....:thumbsup:

But, but, but, you can't do that without a $13,000 blueprint we're told. These guys are used to dealing with/ripping off 18 year olds in SoCal that will pay $4,000 of mommy's money for a blueprinted fart pipe. D3, you're dealing with adults now. We'll hold you accountable.

DrumStix
10-06-10, 03:27 PM
I leave them ruff like that on purpose. A flapper sanding wheel would smooth that right out, but it makes more hp/ more flow with it ruff like that for some reason. That is why i leave them in that finish. I guess think of a golf ball effect. A ball goes half the distance with it smooth.

That's right. A polish is not required unless it's an alcohol motor. On a gas motor a full polish would loose hp. D3 didn't specify gas or alcohol for the blueprints I gather.

Dr. Design
10-06-10, 05:58 PM
$13K would be pretty pricey for a ported/blueprinted snout. You might want to shop around a bit for a better price. The reason we call it Blueprinting is because we made a template/mechanical drawing/CAD data that will indicate to us where we need to remove the material every single time. This way you are left with a more consistent piece from snout to snout.

As for your other remarks. Clearly you know our business all to well :histeric:.
If remarks and comments like this are supposed to be indicative of what adults are supposed to act like, then yes , I guess we have only dealt with children up to this point.:helpless:

Please let us know if there are any questions regarding porting of a supercharger snout.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

But, but, but, you can't do that without a $13,000 blueprint we're told. These guys are used to dealing with/ripping off 18 year olds in SoCal that will pay $4,000 of mommy's money for a blueprinted fart pipe. D3, you're dealing with adults now. We'll hold you accountable.