: Speedo stopped working :(

83coupedeville
10-05-10, 12:54 AM
ughh speedo in my 82 coupe deville stopped working the other day.. kinda made a popping noise and went to 0. for the past couple weeks something was making a clicking noise in the dash but i thought it had somethin to do with my broken trip odometer. is it the cable? if so is this a hard job to do?

RippyPartsDept
10-05-10, 01:06 AM
spedo cable... probably... maybe

1980coupe
10-06-10, 01:40 AM
ughh speedo in my 82 coupe deville stopped working the other day.. kinda made a popping noise and went to 0. for the past couple weeks something was making a clicking noise in the dash but i thought it had somethin to do with my broken trip odometer. is it the cable? if so is this a hard job to do?

not hard, I thought so too but it's very easy; fixed the season odometer as numbers stopped turning, couldn't get trip to work but have another speedo that works to replace but when miles on my car matches the other.
Remove screws securing woodgrain bezel-6 screws
1 on either side of speedo, 2 on lower left, 1 on lower right,
remove tab the moves the flaps inside the left A/C vent, small allen screw, use allen wrench
Remove A/C vent by pulling tabs up at same time and top right corner there's the other screw.
Put shift indicator to lowest gear (block wheels of course) and if you have tilt, place to lowest, pull bezel out
remove 4 screws securing speedo (believe it's a 6 or 7 mm)
pull out speedo out towards you
behind it you see a clip securing cable it's held on by a 1/4 screw (on mine it is-it's an 80coupe, don't know bout yours)
and pull out cable
On firewall you can see cable and just pull it out from the grooment. You'll have to remove it from the transmission too but haven't done so on mine so can't help there, sorry. Maybe someone else can :yup:
If you need any other help feel free to ask:D

83coupedeville
10-06-10, 09:35 PM
seems like fun... i hope i dont gotta disconnect it from the tranny cause that means i gotta bring it to a shop haha that exceeds my mechanical abilities. just waiting for a nice day without rain to go mess around with it. thanks alot ill keep my progress posted

creeker
10-06-10, 09:49 PM
seems like fun... i hope i dont gotta disconnect it from the tranny cause that means i gotta bring it to a shop haha that exceeds my mechanical abilities. just waiting for a nice day without rain to go mess around with it. thanks alot ill keep my progress posted

This is sure a timely thread, for the past few weeks the speedo on my 80 cdv. has been making tick-tick-tick noises,I thought it was just the cooler mornings and the lube was getting a little thick,I'll keep a watch for your results and see how you make out with trans. connection, it stops ticking after a short time.

Hello again 80 coupe, do you think it would be worth my while to get to the speedo connection in the dasboard and lube it?.

1980coupe
10-06-10, 11:08 PM

you'll have to disconnect from transmission to remove and replace the entire cable with a new one.

1980coupe
10-06-10, 11:14 PM
This is sure a timely thread, for the past few weeks the speedo on my 80 cdv. has been making tick-tick-tick noises,I thought it was just the cooler mornings and the lube was getting a little thick,I'll keep a watch for your results and see how you make out with trans. connection, it stops ticking after a short time.

Hello again 80 coupe, do you think it would be worth my while to get to the speedo connection in the dasboard and lube it?.
Hey creeker, try it maybe it'll cure that problem, on mine the needle sways back and forth when driving at slow speeds and at times when I'm at 55 but then it'll steady out...maybe your noise could be the numbers trying to turn but don't or the gears that drive them. Let me ask, do both work? Season and trip odometer?
I'm waiting on mine to hit the 60,000 which will be awhile, so that I can replace speedo with another one that has the trip odometer working. I'll maybe speed up the numbers by taking a drill and spin the gear.

creeker
10-06-10, 11:36 PM
Hey creeker, try it maybe it'll cure that problem, on mine the needle sways back and forth when driving at slow speeds and at times when I'm at 55 but then it'll steady out...maybe your noise could be the numbers trying to turn but don't or the gears that drive them. Let me ask, do both work? Season and trip odometer?
I'm waiting on mine to hit the 60,000 which will be awhile, so that I can replace speedo with another one that has the trip odometer working. I'll maybe speed up the numbers by taking a drill and spin the gear.

My speedo needle is very slightly erratic and "jiggly" and goes away after a very short trip, I dont know what season means, I never look at my trip odo, I will
now though, why are you waiting to hit 60,000 before you do anything?, I looked
up and found a picture of speedo cable on rock auto, it looks like one end is a
female threaded fitting, the other end almost looks like a press on fitting??.

1980coupe
10-06-10, 11:57 PM
My speedo needle is very slightly erratic and "jiggly" and goes away after a very short trip, I dont know what season means, I never look at my trip odo, I will
now though, why are you waiting to hit 60,000 before you do anything?, I looked
up and found a picture of speedo cable on rock auto, it looks like one end is a
female threaded fitting, the other end almost looks like a press on fitting??.

in my service manual "season odometer" refers to how many miles the car has total (5 digit) and trip odometer is the 4 digit one on right hand side.
I'm waiting because my car has currently 223,xxx miles on it, remember I mentioned it has rolled over twice, and the other I have has 62,xxx (probably 162,xxx) so that it could match.

creeker
10-07-10, 12:31 AM
in my service manual "season odometer" refers to how many miles the car has total (5 digit) and trip odometer is the 4 digit one on right hand side.
I'm waiting because my car has currently 223,xxx miles on it, remember I mentioned it has rolled over twice, and the other I have has 62,xxx (probably 162,xxx) so that it could match.

Thanks, I was just curious,that's a lot of miles, have you had any major repairs on the engine or transmission, I've only got 56,000 miles on mine, so I guess I can count on having my car for quite awhile yet.

1980coupe
10-07-10, 02:17 AM
nothing at all, just your regular maintenance and that's it.
Only once it has left me but it was in drive way; fuel pump.
Just replaced starter.
Few years back replaced all bushings, all suspension related parts with new parts, so she drives smooth like a Caddy should and straight!:cool:

carnut
10-08-10, 04:37 AM
If your car has cruise control, the cable goes from the speedo to the cruise control transducer under the hood. From the transducer another cable goes to the transmission. Unscrew the cable at the transducer going into the firewall and try to spin it with your fingers. It should spin very easily. Then try to spin the nylon nub sticking out of the transducer, it should rotate smoothly with no binding. If it binds then thats the cause, replace the transducer. The upper cable to the speedo head must be removed from behind the speedo by depressing the clip holding the cable, then remove it and grease it with white lithium grease.

1980coupe
10-08-10, 07:22 PM
If your car has cruise control, the cable goes from the speedo to the cruise control transducer under the hood. From the transducer another cable goes to the transmission. Unscrew the cable at the transducer going into the firewall and try to spin it with your fingers. It should spin very easily. Then try to spin the nylon nub sticking out of the transducer, it should rotate smoothly with no binding. If it binds then thats the cause, replace the transducer. The upper cable to the speedo head must be removed from behind the speedo by depressing the clip holding the cable, then remove it and grease it with white lithium grease.

there's no cable going to the cruise control transducer (whatever that is) on mine. Should be the same, I know it's has a different engine so maybe that explains it, but I do believe it's the same as mine which the only cable is the speed sensor connected to the back of the speedo and that goes to the cruise controller under the dash. It's 3 wires.

RocketFast321
10-08-10, 10:20 PM

If you can connect a hose pipe you can disconnect it from the trans. It just twists off.

carnut
10-09-10, 02:33 AM
I say again, does your car have cruise control? yes, no? If yes, then the cable goes from the back of the speedo thru the firewall to the transducer on the inner drivers side fender. From there another cable goes to the transmission. The transducer gets carbon sucked into it from the vacuum line over the years which wears it out and causes it to bind up. Once bound up. it breaks the cable. Some people by pass the transducer and run a straight one piece cable from the speedo to the transmission. You say a different engine, do you mean it was replaced with a like engine or a completely different one?? If you dont know what a transducer is how can you say a cable doesnt go to it??? This is an 82 rear wheel drive coupe with a 4100 V/8 correct?

83coupedeville
10-09-10, 02:51 AM
lol i think theres a couple people askin questions in this thread. Carnut no i dont have cruise control and yes its a 82 coupe deville with the 4100.

carnut
10-09-10, 11:55 AM
Without cruise the cable is one piece from the speedo to the trans. With the clip depressed on the back of the speedo the cable pulls straight off. Once off, you can pull the cable out of its tubing. My bet is on the upper tip being broken off for lack of lubrication. You can buy a universal cable kit at any parts store.

1980coupe
10-10-10, 10:46 PM
Carnut;
on mine there's no cable going through firewall to inner fender. I have a 1980 Cadillac with a 368 6.0. I just thought, though different year and engine, that the wiring would be the same. Obviously not.

83coupedeville
10-11-10, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=1980coupe;2381386]
remove tab the moves the flaps inside the left A/C vent, small allen screw, use allen wrench
Remove A/C vent by pulling tabs up at same time and top right corner there's the other screw.
/QUOTE]
how do i do this?! i cant see any other screws or clips but the bezel is caught up over by the a/c vent.

83coupedeville
10-11-10, 06:18 PM
nevermindddd lol im stupid :banghead: didnt realize there was the tiniest allen screw ever on the bottom of the a/c vent tab.. do i have to take apart the whole speedo to get to the cable or does the whole assembly pull out? wanna know before i open up this can o' worms haha

1980coupe
10-11-10, 10:18 PM
nevermindddd lol im stupid :banghead: didnt realize there was the tiniest allen screw ever on the bottom of the a/c vent tab.. do i have to take apart the whole speedo to get to the cable or does the whole assembly pull out? wanna know before i open up this can o' worms haha

yeah that's the smallest allen screw there, just about the same size as the one that holds the cable that controls the outside mirror on driver side armrest. The whole speedo comes out as one complete assembly. If you need to pull out more, just guide the cable more through the firewall, just remember to place steering wheel to lowest (if you have tilt) and place gear selector to lowest as well, (block wheels)
Then there sould be a clip with a small bolt just loosen it and pull out cable.
If you need more help, don't hesitate to ask. ☺

83coupedeville
10-12-10, 01:04 AM
is there any hidden bolts holding the speedo assembly on? i took all of them out and there was no give at all.

carnut
10-12-10, 02:17 AM
Reach behind the speedo and depress the sheet metal clip. That should allow you to pull back on the cable releasing it from the speedo

1980coupe
10-12-10, 02:41 AM
is there any hidden bolts holding the speedo assembly on? i took all of them out and there was no give at all.

there's only 4 that secure it. you said all, so how many did you take out? If less than 4 you need more bolts. Probably the bottom 2 you forgot.

83coupedeville
10-12-10, 08:02 PM
ok little update... the reason the speedometer cluster wouldnt just pull out is because there is very little slack in the speedo cable. i think someone might have been in there before cause where the cable comes outta the firewall there was all kinds of goop on it like someone was sealing it up unless it came from the factory like that. i tried reaching up to disconnect the cable but i cant see what type of connection it is feels like a metal clip but since i dont have a chiltons book or anything i dont wanna break somethin just ripping it out.

1980coupe
10-12-10, 11:47 PM
ok little update... the reason the speedometer cluster wouldnt just pull out is because there is very little slack in the speedo cable. i think someone might have been in there before cause where the cable comes outta the firewall there was all kinds of goop on it like someone was sealing it up unless it came from the factory like that. i tried reaching up to disconnect the cable but i cant see what type of connection it is feels like a metal clip but since i dont have a chiltons book or anything i dont wanna break somethin just ripping it out.

probably factory, get yourself a small compact mirror and reach in behind it to see what's the hold up. Someone mentioned you have to depress the clip but I doubt that as mine has a small bolt to it, I just can't recall size. Do know that it is a standard size one and a small size one. Once you remove it the clip comes off and pull out cable. ☺

carnut
10-13-10, 02:50 AM
One more time, depress the sheet metal clip and that lifts it from the collar on the cable. Then pull out the cluster. Sometimes unscrewing it from the transmission gives you a couple more inches slack. I've never removed a small bolt on the clip to disconnect a cable.

1980coupe
10-13-10, 03:58 AM
One more time, depress the sheet metal clip and that lifts it from the collar on the cable. Then pull out the cluster. Sometimes unscrewing it from the transmission gives you a couple more inches slack. I've never removed a small bolt on the clip to disconnect a cable.

And AGAIN, mine has a small bolt to it! I'll take a picture to prove it to you! Maybe on mine was the only year for it, and not for later years, I don't know, but it has one back there!

carnut
10-13-10, 11:01 AM
Yes I agree, there is a small bolt holding the clip but you dont remove it. You depress the clip with your finger and while depressed, you pull back on the cable. This was done to speed up the disconnecting of the cable rather than trying to unscrew the cable like earlier cars.

GeneLaw1
10-13-10, 12:15 PM
My speedometer also makes that noise you guys are describing, been doing so since I bought the car however, about 6 years ago...

83coupedeville
10-13-10, 05:07 PM
ok another update lol. finally got the speedo cable off but now it looks like theres an electrical connection going into the back of the cluster and looks to have a small bolt holding it in but theres not enough room to get a wrench in. anyone know if its a clip or do i gotta somehow take the bolt out? also i found a broken piece of a small plastic gear inside the speedo cluster. think that could be why the speedo stopped working? or is it a piece of the trip odometer cause that hasnt worked since i bought it

1980coupe
10-13-10, 10:45 PM
ok another update lol. finally got the speedo cable off but now it looks like theres an electrical connection going into the back of the cluster and looks to have a small bolt holding it in but theres not enough room to get a wrench in. anyone know if its a clip or do i gotta somehow take the bolt out? also i found a broken piece of a small plastic gear inside the speedo cluster. think that could be why the speedo stopped working? or is it a piece of the trip odometer cause that hasnt worked since i bought it
The connector should come off easily by depressing or lifting up tab(s) that secure it to the back of the speedo, there's no small bolt holding that. Just like removing any other type of electrical connector. Those small plastic gears could be for the trip odometer, not for the pointer. Maybe the pointer malfunctioned due to the spring coming loose that pulls it?

1980coupe
10-13-10, 10:52 PM
Yes I agree, there is a small bolt holding the clip but you dont remove it. You depress the clip with your finger and while depressed, you pull back on the cable. This was done to speed up the disconnecting of the cable rather than trying to unscrew the cable like earlier cars.
Never tried to depress it as you say, I always removed the small bolt that holds the clip you mention. Next time I'll try that when I remove the speedo again. I'm going to swap the speedo head on mine into the other speedo cluster I have, one that trip odometer works, so I don't have to wait till the mileage on mine matches the one I got.

83coupedeville
10-14-10, 03:16 PM
are the digital clusters from a 90-92 brougham able to just plug in or is there a bunch of modifications i gotta make. i found a digi dash for 30 dollars cheaper then the old analog replacement

csbuckn
10-14-10, 04:04 PM
Heavy mods to make it work including digital output at tranny, speed buffer and such

1980coupe
10-14-10, 07:24 PM
are the digital clusters from a 90-92 brougham able to just plug in or is there a bunch of modifications i gotta make. i found a digi dash for 30 dollars cheaper then the old analog replacement
there's a how to tech on a website called layitlow.com and I have the magazine from which the person uploaded to that website but I can not remember which year, month it was. It was featured in Lowrider Magazine. I'll see if I can locate it for you and send you the link through here from that website. Do you have any pics of yopur Caddy?

83coupedeville
10-14-10, 10:03 PM
there's a how to tech on a website called layitlow.com and I have the magazine from which the person uploaded to that website but I can not remember which year, month it was. It was featured in Lowrider Magazine. I'll see if I can locate it for you and send you the link through here from that website. Do you have any pics of yopur Caddy?

layitlow is actually where i found the digi dash. same guy has a analog and lives in jersey too so just waiting on him to get back to me. crossin my fingers!! heres some pics of the coupe..

83coupedeville
10-16-10, 07:58 PM
well thanks to the kind lowrider folks over at layitlow im the proud new owner of a speedo and it only cost me 20 bucks!! had to drive 45 minutes and rip it out by myself in the pitch dark but it was worth it lol. i think the speedo cable i got from advance auto parts is wrong tho its a hair too tight to fit over the little nub on the cluster. not really concerned about it at this time only reason i was changing it is cause the speed sensor was bad and causing my tranny to shift thru all the gears right away. i start a new job monday and needed the car driveable a.s.a.p. kinda sucks the odometer is 35k and my car has 70k thats gonna affect the resale a little bit the best thing about my car was the original low mileage and clean title.

Stingroo
10-17-10, 02:02 AM
Just adjust the odometer then.

83coupedeville
10-17-10, 02:25 AM
how do you do that? i asked a couple people but noone seemed to know or just thought i was tryin to do something illegal lol

Stingroo
10-17-10, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure how, honestly, but I know it can be done. Maybe someone else can help there.

RippyPartsDept
10-17-10, 04:15 PM
i can ask some of our guys tomorrow - send me a PM to remind me

1980coupe
10-19-10, 02:48 AM
layitlow is actually where i found the digi dash. same guy has a analog and lives in jersey too so just waiting on him to get back to me. crossin my fingers!! heres some pics of the coupe..

Nice Coupe! I see you replaced the rear fillers huh? Here's a pic of mine. I added the front and rear chrome; was going to also add the rockers under the doors but need to install rivets for the clips.
http://i55.tinypic.com/34zg9ah.jpg

1980coupe
10-19-10, 07:46 AM
here's that link I promised ya!!!

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=331170

csbuckn
10-19-10, 03:32 PM
^what a link, now my extra digital cluster is not for sale anymore.