: Serious Car Problems

hemi2LS
10-04-10, 09:07 PM
09V Manual has been getting serviced by the dealer for a week and counting now. Brought it in due to wife of all people saying the car was making a funny noise. I associated the rattle with being the isolater. Come to find out after the dealer callng me to get permission to take snapshots of the computer, because they noticed the exhaust and intake. That it was the Cam, on the left side the lobe went low and also messed up a rocker on that side. A big flipping deal i suspect.
Now for any with more knowledge on cams and lobes and rockers and things of that sort. What would cause this, how much problems could this have caused for other internals now and in the future? Do i have a lemon or heading that way? because i bought my V used with 25k miles on it now i am at 32k most of which is driving from Seattle to Dallas.

Also i brought it in a wekk before this issue due to the traction control light staying on for no apparent reason.

RippyPartsDept
10-04-10, 09:15 PM
should be taken care of under warranty... probably not a lemon (and either way it's under warranty, right?)
there's no way to know how the previous owner treated the car (they did put some miles on it though it seems)
the dealer is taking care of this for you under the factory powertrain warranty, right?

hemi2LS
10-04-10, 09:24 PM
Yeah there doing it under warranty, but i am mainly worried if that flat lobe could have done more damaged then what was told or what was seen, and no one know's it until I am back in there due to a dominoe effect that it caused?

Razorecko
10-04-10, 09:34 PM
keep us updated on this. I wonder if the internal parts of the engine , ie heads/cam were stock or aftermarket.

4gear70
10-04-10, 11:10 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles. :(
It isn't common but not unheard of to have a cam with a soft lobe or faulty lifter that started it all. The lifter should be replaced as well without question.
I would wonder where all that material went and I would be concerned with bearings and journals in that motor. The filter would have 'eventually' picked it up but until that time it was circulating in the system.
The main thing is that this issue has now been documented by the dealer and IF any issues in the future related to this come up, it should be taken care of without too much of a fight.
Keep an eye on any changes in oil pressure that you may have noticed.
Good luck and keep us posted.

hemi2LS
10-04-10, 11:43 PM
I'm guessing the internals were stock, becasue a week has went buy and no more calls wondering if i did anything to the vehicle other than exhaust and intake, or a fight from them to not fix it under warranty becasue so. But i will keep you guys posted.

RippyPartsDept
10-04-10, 11:56 PM
yeah, the dealer would probably decline the warranty if there were aftermarket cams (or other internals) on the car

Z06ified
10-06-10, 11:30 AM
Hmmm, wasn't there another thread a few months back with someone having a defective cam too, with flattened lobes? I hope there's not a batch of defective cams in these cars...

cbloveday
10-06-10, 12:52 PM
I remembered that thread

Here it is: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/204795-ctsv-engine-failure.html

hemi2LS
10-06-10, 01:05 PM
Do anyone know whatever happened in his sitiuation or better yet anymore problems. I'll try and contact him and see what other damage they might have told him occured, because my service rep didn't mention anything about a new engine