: Farting Noise !

doowap57
10-04-10, 05:03 PM
I know, this has been mentioned a number of times in this forum,"BUT" !
No-one has told us how and what to remove to get at the item.
It has been said, it is a A/c actuator, I guess it's a Vacuum actuator, and
you lube the arm in the center of the actuator, but, how do you get at it,
and how do you remove enough items to get at it ?
i.e. Is it behind the Golve box , or is it behind the CD player,How do you remove
the trim, to get at it ?

sdmfer
10-04-10, 06:43 PM
the cars obviously got gas.....try diesel....muaa ha ha (sorry guys useless post but i had to)

doowap57
10-04-10, 08:44 PM
You drive "MAybe an STS " , please read the posts in this forum, and come back
when you are grown,This is a REAL problem.....

sdmfer
10-04-10, 08:47 PM
relax and have a sense of humor. my apologies if that offended you.

ps - yes "maybe an STS". I've been reading everything in this forum before I make a purchase. But very close. I see no problem with deeply performing research, reviews etc in order to make a "smart buy".

polarbear05
10-04-10, 10:27 PM
It's behind the glove box.. U don't even have to take the glove box apart u can lubricate it by just removing the bottom piece the plastic pice that has that lil light when the interior
Lights are on.. I did it a couple of months ago I should of taken pics but I didn't.. Well once u take that pice off
With the car on an the a/c on press the recircutain bitton to see what's moving an were the noise is coming from.. it's a very simple actually.. If u got any more questions just ask..

dkozloski
10-05-10, 12:47 AM
I used a pressurized can of silicon grease with a long spout to lubricate the arm and the problem was cured.

VineTime
10-05-10, 01:39 AM
I had this problem and brought it in to the dealership. The told me it was a motor to adjust a door that adjusts the flow of air for the ac was going bad. They replaced it under warrenty for free and I havent had a problem since.

doowap57
10-05-10, 05:53 PM
Thanks to all for the how to do it, to this problem, I did'nt want to go thru the entire winter, with this noise again,:cool2: Thanks

ewill3rd
10-05-10, 09:22 PM
Lube won't work for long.
There is a bulletin to replace an actuator cam with an updated part.
It isn't too hard to do but you do have to remove the glove box and put the new parts on.
I put a copy of the bulletin on here somewhere recently.

sapien
10-08-10, 07:35 PM
here's pics of the offending linkage, to remove the glovebox there are 8 screws you need to take out (4 of them are along the edge of the panel underneath)

mine didn't seem like it was binding, just a slight rubbing noise between the parts so I think a good lube will do the trick for awhile

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/69071d1286580649-farting-noise-pa080261.jpg
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/69072d1286580649-farting-noise-pa080260.jpg

Djwax337
10-10-10, 12:01 PM
I have been having this problem for awhile also! Glad to see I'm not alone.

The first time it happened my mom was in the car I SWORE it was her lmao! The last thing u want when u pick up ur date is your Cadillac to start farting when she gets in and u take off. Kudos 4 the fix

dkozloski
10-10-10, 02:35 PM
I have been having this problem for awhile also! Glad to see I'm not alone.

The first time it happened my mom was in the car I SWORE it was her lmao! The last thing u want when u pick up ur date is your Cadillac to start farting when she gets in and u take off. Kudos 4 the fix

Au contraire, it's a great ice breaker and conversation starter.

alexillac
10-11-10, 04:41 AM
Thank you for the photos. Thats great help. Does anybody also have photos of the position of the screws which have to be removed in order to get the glove-box out?
Thanks
alex

ewill3rd
10-11-10, 08:20 AM
I'm not sure why anyone would fix it, I'd love to have a button on the dash I could push to make it sound like my passenger was passing gas!
Just hit the recirculation button and enjoy!

To access it you have to remove the glove box and then remove the blower motor housing, at least partially to access the screws to install the cam kit.

Greg00coupe
10-12-10, 11:43 AM
Never knew I had this problem until recently when I got so fed up with the radio that I turned it off completely. Took a 1,000 mile trip this weekend and never had the radio or CDs playing...... noise was pretty funny but glad there is a simple fix. Wonder if some vasoline would last longer???

sapien
10-13-10, 12:58 AM
Thank you for the photos. Thats great help. Does anybody also have photos of the position of the screws which have to be removed in order to get the glove-box out?
Thanks
alexpretty easy to find. open the glovebox, there are 4 recessed screws visible in the glovebox itself (no need to remove the door) including one in the center under the latch that you need a short screwdriver for. then, underneath the dash there are 2 screws holding a plastic cover along the edge, which will reveal 2 more screws holding the bottom of the glovebox.

once you've removed all 8, the glovebox can slide forward and down to reveal the blower motor housing. run the AC and toggle the recirc button so you can observe the parts that move and make the noise. then dab a couple globs of lube in between the black & white parts of the linkage and toggle the button a few times so it can work itself in there. (I would not use a petroleum-based product, that could eat at the plastic.)