: Coming soon... JetpackOwners.com???...

Playdrv4me
10-04-10, 10:41 AM
Soon the first commercially available jetpack will hit the market and as long as you've got $86,000 to spare, nothing stands in your way of purchasing one. You don't even need a pilot's license.

Link: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/martin-jetpack-flying-rocket-pack,news-6074.html

Video:
2TBndcBjQFM

A couple of things here... A. This is obviously NOT a jet anything, and frankly, that's a good thing. B. While still far fetched, I can see this evolving over time if it catches a tiny spark and actually being rentable at luxury resorts within 5 to 10 years (and maybe I'm being too conservative if it is already this far along).

However, I have a serious issue with a hot, dirty, 4 cylinder COMBUSTION engine strapped to my back. Hasn't electric motor and battery technology already come far enough to do this electrically (i.e. Chevy Volt)? Perhaps 200hp is still just too much to do for any length of time with batteries that would weigh more than 250lb. Still, it could happen and then I could see this really "taking off".

Personal, manned singular flight is one of the few obstacles we as humans have yet to overcome, and that we thought we WOULD have overcome by NOW 30 years ago. That this device technically speaking is nothing more than century old engine and propulsion technology when taken by its individual parts gives you a sobering realization that while we have a "facade" of technological wizardry with our iPhones, laptops, and flat panel TVs... the core technologies behind most everything we use are really just an evolution of technology developed during the industrial era. It seems to be rare to see any TRULY ground breaking all new technology introduced these days, but if it takes this insane Buck Rogers kluge with existing technologies to make personal flight at least BEGIN to TRY and move forward (and I'm sure our older members are well aware NASA worked on this long ago already), then so be it.

Destroyer
10-06-10, 08:37 AM
Looks very dangerous. Goes up 8000ft, if there is a mechanical/electrical problem you will become a human torpedo. The weight on you will crush you. It is cool though but like you said, it isn't a jetpack.

CIWS
10-06-10, 01:36 PM
Got to start somewhere.

http://www.remarkablecars.com/for-sale/data/3513/1903-hoffman-18228.jpg