: 1996 Fleetwood - List of Mechanical Issues

turbojimmy
10-04-10, 08:00 AM
I just picked up a '96 Fleetwood limo. The previous owners did a great job maintaining the body and interior, but let it go mechanically. It has 98k miles on it. Knowing that I can handle any mechanical issue with the help of this board, I bought the car anyway. Here goes:

1) It's spewing an alarming amount of oil out the RH valve cover where the filler tube attaches and out the breather. Now I thought that the breather tube was where I would find the PCV valve (which could cause this crankcase pressure), but it's not there. Where is the PCV on this thing? Are there any other common problems that would cause this leak? Valve cover gaskets look good.

2) RH exhaust manifold is leaking. I've read bits and pieces here about trouble with those. What exactly is the issue and how can it be remedied?

3) Right under the throttle body is wet with coolant. Is this the all-too-common water pump leak?

4) Rear window falls down. I assume that this is the "rollers" that I read about?

Car has a P0300, P0410 and a P1441 code so I can't get it through inspection. I'm hoping a tune up and correcting the 410 and 1441 will clear up the misfire. Otherwise it runs very strong. I've put a few hundred miles on it in the past few days and it's been great.

TIA,
Jim

outsider
10-04-10, 09:00 AM
I know there's a coolant line that goes into the throttle body. A lot of guys will disable that with a throttle body coolant bypass, maybe one of those lines is leaking or something? Or is it nowhere near the lines?

Rear window could be the regulator, you'll have to get the door panel off and have a peak.

turbojimmy
10-04-10, 09:09 AM
Oh yeah - word to the wise. Always get the severe duty brakes from Autozone - Limo or not. They didn't have them in stock, so the guy sold me $25 pads for the front. I told him it was a limo, he seemed unmoved by that fact. Moments later I was going down a hill with no front brakes and the front wheels billowing smoke. I had to stop it with the parking brake. I was afraid it was going to catch fire.

I went back to Autozone, who agreed to refund the $25 and get me the right pads for the car. I don't think the $25 pads would have been any better on a regular Fleetwood either. They're terrible. And, the heat ruined my rotors so now I need a set of those.

outsider
10-04-10, 09:24 AM
crap...yeah I never buy from autozone if I can help it. Napa is where I get my parts. A little more expensive but atleast you're getting the right part.

jayoldschool
10-04-10, 04:21 PM
1. PCV is on the side of the intake, driver's side. Under home plate baffle.
2. Loose, or broken, manifold bolts. Likely the rear. Remove manifold, extract broken bolts, replace manifold with proper GM metal gasket, replace bolts with grade 8 hardware.
3. No, that is not a water pump leak. It will be from the coolant line that heats the TB. Just follow the hose.
4. Yes, broken window roller.

turbojimmy
10-04-10, 06:27 PM
1. PCV is on the side of the intake, driver's side. Under home plate baffle.
2. Loose, or broken, manifold bolts. Likely the rear. Remove manifold, extract broken bolts, replace manifold with proper GM metal gasket, replace bolts with grade 8 hardware.
3. No, that is not a water pump leak. It will be from the coolant line that heats the TB. Just follow the hose.
4. Yes, broken window roller.

Thanks for the info.

1. Found the PCV. Not sure if it's going to fix the leak, but it's worth it to try.
2. Yes, sounds like it's coming from the rear. I'll have to investigate a little further.
3. Thank goodness for that. I'll need to take some stuff off to find the source of the leak.
4. Will call GM for the revised parts.

I need to focus on the P0410 and P1441 for now. It seems that there is a TSB that will allow me to eliminate the AIR pump - I may go that route. It's not running at all. Need to investigate the 1441 further.

In other news, I fixed the rear heat (just had A/C back there).

Jim

turbojimmy
10-06-10, 01:12 PM
Turns out the $25 Autozone pads would have been fine if I actually had rear brakes. My brother and I were about to install the new, heavy duty front pads when he noticed that the master cylinder was suspiciously new. The brake pedal feel is terrible even with new pads and decent shoes. We jacked up the back, spun the wheels and hit the brakes. Nada. No rear braking at all. Some bozo replaced the master cylinder by just bolting it in. No bench bleed, no bleeding of the brakes. We bled the left rear cylinder (after snapping the bleeder off the right cylinder) and presto! rear brakes. The pedal feels excellent - it stops like a new car.

Still have pretty serious engine trouble, but I'm still knocking down the smaller stuff.