: Some lights not turning on

rzambrano
10-03-10, 10:48 PM
So this past weekend I went ahead and purchase a 2005 STS. After driving home and using it for 2 days, I noticed a few issues. One is, the driver's side marker does not light up. And also the arrow like light in the headlight (picture below) doesn't light up either. Are they linked to a fuse together or are the bulbs just bad. Any help to fix or even a tutorial would be appreciated. Thank you.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/rzj90059/IMG_0256.jpg

RippyPartsDept
10-04-10, 01:34 AM
bulbs are probably bad, not sure about the fuse issue, but if it was the opposite side would probably be out also

STE_6000
10-04-10, 06:46 AM
there isnt a fuse for just those lights. they are the parking bulbs and they are burnt out. they are wedge style. i think they are 212 or 192, there is a bulb post on here that will tell you the right size. but to take them out you need to get the headlight housing out, and the method by gm is removing the front bumper.

RippyPartsDept
10-04-10, 11:13 AM
The one in the headlight will have a blue tint to it... that's a W5W style bulb (ACDelco #W5WB502X / GM# 25763464) - The side marker bulb is a standar p-nut style (trade #194)

w5w and 194 are very similar (undetectable to most anyone, and i am told by others on this site that they can be used interchangeably )
just make sure you get that light blue tint on the headlight position/parking bulb or it won't match the other side

OH WOW
10-04-10, 02:24 PM
check it out.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

rzambrano
10-04-10, 02:58 PM
I am not sure if I am mentioning the correct light. The "side marker" I am referring to is the light on the driver's side fender. How is that one fixed?

RippyPartsDept
10-04-10, 03:46 PM
not sure if you can replace that light bulb... i don't see it in my parts illustration at least - just a lamp on the fender (normally you could replace that bulb)

i wouldn't be surprised if it was another 194 bulb or W5W bulb

rzambrano
10-04-10, 04:21 PM
For some reason, I love that light on any car. And would love to get it fixed, I looked for tutorials and did not find one specifically for that problem. Any other suggestions?

RippyPartsDept
10-04-10, 05:16 PM
i would assume that you just take off the wheel liner and then you have access to the back of the lamp (sticking through the fender)
it probably clips through the fender but once you take the liner off it will probably be self-evident

Djwax337
10-10-10, 11:38 PM
Did you get any resolution on this issue? I'm going thru the same thing now. After my car went into the shop for a new bumper & paint job, side markers, fog, daytime running & turn signals all are no longer working. I'm wondering if disconnecting them without disconnecting the battery could have caused this and what exactly is going on since noone I've taken it to (outside a dealership) can give me an answer?

rzambrano
10-11-10, 12:43 AM
No I haven't resolved it. I think rippypartsmaster is right, I simply got to take off the wheel liner.

ON another note, my car did not come with OEM xenon lights, and the headlights it has are very bad (cosmetically), and the left side has water seepage. Should I pay 200-400/headlight on ebay?

Djwax337
10-11-10, 12:50 AM
Not a bad idea. They are $900 from the dealership

Djwax337
10-11-10, 12:54 AM
Yeah u will have to take off the front bumper - a pain in the a** but easier once u have done it before - to pull out the headlights. There is an access panel on the inside of the assembly. Remove this and those corner bulbs are easily accessible. I just replaced mine. Autozone carries the hyper white style bulbs for like $9.

rzambrano
10-11-10, 01:04 AM
So I guess, thats a go on the headlights. I figured that if I bought the conversion kits separate, tried to clean up the healights, it would run me about $850($200/pair for 4, plus polishing req's).Djwax337, i think I would stay away from anything but the halogen color for the DRL, I kinda like the reg color during the day. Thank for the suggestion though, what size bulb did you use?

Djwax337
10-11-10, 01:17 AM
It wouldn't necessarily be cheaper to buy new ones just less work involved. You could wet sand all the lights and re-polish them for a lot less (my guess is about $60). Once you get the bumper off, you'll see that the fog lights and running lights are actually one housing, making just two pairs to polish. Probably a 2-3 hr job

rzambrano
10-11-10, 01:27 AM
I think I am either naming the wrong bulb or we aren't understanding each other. The bulb that I am referring to as DRL is in the headlight itself in the very corner of it.

Djwax337
10-11-10, 01:40 AM
Yep this is the bulb in question I was referring to