: Going from 2008 Base Escalade to loaded 2007 Escalade

aott97
10-03-10, 07:23 PM
Hey guys...just wanted to get an honest opinion/assessment here. I own a 2008 base Cadillac Escalade...bought it 5 months ago...now has right at 70,000 mi on it. Love it and was bought used in very good condition...traded in my '03 Escalade for the '08. Pearl white with black interior.

I have recently found a 2007 Escalade that is loaded out...navigation system, heated and cooled seats, moonroof, heated steering wheel, all the bells and whistles that my 2008 does not have. Has 65,000 miles on it.

Car dealership is willing to do an even trade with me...meaning I swap my title with his...my Escalade is paid for.

My only concern is going down in year model...although, I know there really is no difference between the '07 and '08 models, would this be a stupid mistake to make?

Thanks in advance...

PreachRR
10-03-10, 08:58 PM
its cool if your not losing any warranty issues.. don't think there was any model year difference

2007caddy
10-03-10, 09:09 PM
What doesn't your 08 have, that would be most helpful...you can always purchase a Nav, rims , camera etc to get your 08 up to par....but in that case if you're going take money out of your pocket go with an 09....will gain in value when you're ready to sell rather than going in the other direction with the 07...bought my 07 in 2008 and I have since bought 22 inch rims & tires (with only 90 miles on them) Nav, camera, bluetooth VCIM all just under 4k in total which you could do the same with your 08 but you probably don't have the sunroof????.....so my opinion move to 09, you will get all the options/ bells & whistles and a smoother ride + plus gain additional warranty miles....good luck, keep us posted

jcrack_corn
10-03-10, 09:20 PM
The dealer can make more on an 08 regardless of options....i have a friend who is the used car manager at one of the largest dealerships in the NATION...he says it doesnt matter whats under the hood, what the gadget options are, mostly doest matter what color (they get a premium for premium colors, but bad colors dont really take away value).

All people want to know is "what year" "how many miles" and they care if the inside is CLEAN.....no one pops the hood, no one really researches options (thats just us car geeks).

So all that being said, if you LOVE the 07 and plan on driving it into the grave, then do it. if you love your 08 and can live without the options, I would wait 2 years then trade it for an 09 that is loaded....ive been pretty good at doing this and keeping at least 25% equity at all trade-ins (so car loan ends up being about 75% of what car is worth today, which makes for a MUCH lower interest rate ~4.5 percent for used cars).

You can probably tell the dealer "you have a deal if you throw in xxxxx." with xxx being whatever (new tires, service credit at the dealership to defray lost warranty, ext warranty at dealer cost, etc) there are lots of things that are worth a grand or two to you, that cost the dealer not a whole lot (or nothing) out of pocket.

bstiffmanofsteel
10-03-10, 09:51 PM
The dealer can make more on an 08 regardless of options....i have a friend who is the used car manager at one of the largest dealerships in the NATION...he says it doesnt matter whats under the hood, what the gadget options are, mostly doest matter what color (they get a premium for premium colors, but bad colors dont really take away value).

All people want to know is "what year" "how many miles" and they care if the inside is CLEAN.....no one pops the hood, no one really researches options (thats just us car geeks).

So all that being said, if you LOVE the 07 and plan on driving it into the grave, then do it. if you love your 08 and can live without the options, I would wait 2 years then trade it for an 09 that is loaded....ive been pretty good at doing this and keeping at least 25% equity at all trade-ins (so car loan ends up being about 75% of what car is worth today, which makes for a MUCH lower interest rate ~4.5 percent for used cars).

You can probably tell the dealer "you have a deal if you throw in xxxxx." with xxx being whatever (new tires, service credit at the dealership to defray lost warranty, ext warranty at dealer cost, etc) there are lots of things that are worth a grand or two to you, that cost the dealer not a whole lot (or nothing) out of pocket.

^ Well written...

RippyPartsDept
10-03-10, 10:22 PM
:yeah:
great advice

hcvone
10-04-10, 06:58 AM
My 07's had more wind noise than my 08', 09, and 10's, so you may want to take it on the expressway to see if that's an issue. Personally I would keep your 07' and when you are ready get a great deal on an 11', I just can not see trading backwards to something that will be worth less money overall. JMO

aott97
10-04-10, 07:14 AM
Thanks guys...appreciate the valued insight. As far as what mine doesn't have: I have the standard XM radio in mine (no nav system, backup camera), no heated steering wheel, heated seats (not cooled seats), no moonroof, no rear DVD system...thanks guys...keep the thoughts coming...you all are helping me in my decision. I'm just nervous about letting this one pass me up, but don't want to make a hasty decision. The 2007 has everything: nav system/backup camera, rear DVD system, moonroof, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, AWD (mine's 2WD), retractable running boards, about $5K in rims...this is a tough one for me!

Big Windy Ext
10-04-10, 09:16 AM
Do you get snow ? You can't add AWD .

aott97
10-04-10, 09:46 AM
Nope, no snow...Louisiana...

aott97
10-05-10, 12:34 PM
Yikes...I am still torn on what to do here...:suspense:

jcrack_corn
10-05-10, 05:16 PM
based on what you've updated, i would do the trade....not even having the moonroof means you have almost a "fleet" edition 08 escalade...really bare bones.

You will enjoy the 07 more, and that has a price also that you must factor in. but definitely get the dealer to sweeten the deal with some service credits or at cost extended warranty (they can probably certify the 07 for you too, 12k/1year warranty i believe).

aott97
10-07-10, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys...I really appreciate everyone weighing in on this...I knew the "experts" here would steer me in the right direction. Another quick question...you all don't think the IRS would frown upon us making an even title trade so quickly, meaning within the same year, huh?

m332is
10-07-10, 02:04 PM
No IRS issue on trading cars. You're not a dealer.

aott97
10-07-10, 02:09 PM
No flagging us for audit or anything like that, huh? Just making sure before we do anything...

andre_outlaw
10-07-10, 11:40 PM
if you got nothing to hide then why worry about it... your doing the deal at a dealer so it's not an issue.

aott97
10-08-10, 07:27 AM
No, nothing to hide, but also don't want to do anything to attract unwanted attention from Uncle Sam either...surely, if no money changes hands and it's an even trade (even within the same fiscal year, as I just got my '08 a few months back), it shouldn't be a problem. Our accountant has been on vacation for over a week now and been out of pocket...been trying to get in touch with him to ask, but no such luck!

You guys have just about got me convinced that the trade is the way to go...this deal is just too good to pass up! :cool2:

K9Caddy
10-08-10, 10:08 AM
Stop with the paranoia and just do it!! You are not gonna attract any unwanted attention to the IRS doing a trade with the dealer.

aott97
10-08-10, 11:07 AM
LOL...I know, tell me about it...was finally able to confirm everything would be okay as far as Uncle Sam goes being no money is being exchanged...it's an even wash! I'll keep you guys posted when I get the other Escalade later on this afternoon...thanks again for all of you guys' help! You all really helped me make this decision as your insight and advice was invaluable! Thanks a mil! :yup:

SouthernCaddy
10-08-10, 06:07 PM
i would do it, my 07 is great!!!!