: Squeaky Brakes

Qnsryck
10-03-10, 04:37 PM
I have about 20K miles on my car and the brakes are squeaking almost always while light braking. It kills me to pull up to an intersection in such a nice car and squeeeeeeeek. I like to think the head turning is from the hot car, not the loud brakes. Is there something I can do to fix this or might the pads be shot already. DD car, no track use. I know brake pads have been discussed before but what are current opinions on replacement pads?

Thanks,
Terry

cbloveday
10-03-10, 04:56 PM
If your breaks are squeeking always and not just when wet, I would be quick about getting pads. You do not want to risk rotor damage.

Do they squeak right as you stop? That would be the pads grabbing. Anyway if you got 20m miles, its probably time.

Tony407
10-03-10, 05:13 PM
I have about 20K miles on my car and the brakes are squeaking almost always while light braking. It kills me to pull up to an intersection in such a nice car and squeeeeeeeek. I like to think the head turning is from the hot car, not the loud brakes. Is there something I can do to fix this or might the pads be shot already. DD car, no track use. I know brake pads have been discussed before but what are current opinions on replacement pads?

Thanks,
Terry

I've had the same problem now for many, many months. I hate it.

Tony

RippyPartsDept
10-03-10, 05:48 PM
is it not under warranty?
why not just take it to the dealer and complain?
it definitely should not be squeaking like that

now if you've worn the pads down that's not covered by the warranty
but if there's plenty of pad material and you're squeaking that's warranty i would assume

maybe its normal for cold brakes on these cars to squeal under light braking power or something

ecorpuz12
10-03-10, 06:26 PM
14k miles and mine squeak intermittently when creeping along slowly. no track usage yet...i was hoping the pads would last a lot longer

RapidRob
10-03-10, 07:38 PM
Just to add to this - mine sqeak when slowly coming to a stop. Just had the car in for maint. a short while ago, and I know they checked the brakes, and they were OK. Car is @ 12K miles now ...

Rob

neuronbob
10-03-10, 07:55 PM
Mine squeak, too, on light braking at a slow speed. It's intermittent and tends to occur if I haven't driven the car for a couple of days. My car was also just in for service a month ago and brakes were fine. Will have them inspected again in six weeks when it's time to put on my winter setup.

Just adding my data point.

cbloveday
10-03-10, 08:57 PM
is it not under warranty?
why not just take it to the dealer and complain?
it definitely should not be squeaking like that

now if you've worn the pads down that's not covered by the warranty
but if there's plenty of pad material and you're squeaking that's warranty i would assume

What is the warranty on brakes. I thought that would elapse after 12,000 miles or so. OP has 20,000 miles.

RippyPartsDept
10-03-10, 10:42 PM
brakes are only warrantied for defect
so if this squeak is due to a defect they should be warrantied

(double check w/ your service department of choice - i don't work in service so i'm just speculating since we have done some brake pads under warranty before)

if you have a good enough relationship w/ the service department they might even goodwill them for you if GM declines the claim

baabootoo
10-04-10, 01:15 AM
I doubt you have worn them out. It's easy to check to as there is a silver tab that gets closer to the rotor as they wear. This tab scrapes continuously, to make a noise, to let you know they are worn. If this tab isn't touching yet, they are probably not worn out. Between each pad and caliper, is a thin metal plate designed to stop the squeaking. This plate needs some high-temp lube so it slides between the caliper pistons and pad backing. These stock pads are so dirty, they probably need all the material cleaned out and relubed.

PSRmark
10-04-10, 01:51 AM
20k miles should still have enough life left.

I don't know your driving habits so I can't assume anything to that, but if the pads have light surface cracks, that will most definitely cause a pretty severe and annoying squeak/squeal from the braking system. It's fairly normal however to get a light(hardly noticeable) squeak/squeal every once in a while.