: Dyno or Predator

quainer
10-03-10, 11:07 AM
Looking for some help. Have an 09' esv that I am trying to get more power from. I have been planning on adding Volant CAI with scoop and corsa touring exhaust to start. Might also do Kooks headers. Will the headers make a huge differnce? Big question is will a predator tune be best or should I go to local shop who specializes in GM for the tune? They can not dyno as the only have 2 wheel dyno but guy seems to know GM well. Any input would be appreciated.

Have already done full LED upgrade thanks to this forum. Thank you! Also adding headrest DVDs, new nav, amps and bass all next week.

K9Caddy
10-03-10, 11:21 AM
I've used the Predator tune and it works ok. You will not get any different trans tune with the predator as it's not supported.

I'm going to go with: http://www.blackbearperformance.com/ and use the EFIlive AutoCal. http://www.blackbearperformance.com/autocal.asp

I would also recommend the K&N 63 series with your 2009. The Volant intake has a screwed up MAF placement on their tube.

quainer
10-03-10, 11:39 AM
why the 63 over the 77? The volant with the scoop is no good? I had read previously a lot of people like it. The Black Bear looks interesting. I might go that route thanks. What kind of gains should I expect. Will it be a big increase? Are the headers essential?

hcvone
10-04-10, 08:05 AM
why the 63 over the 77? The volant with the scoop is no good? I had read previously a lot of people like it. The Black Bear looks interesting. I might go that route thanks. What kind of gains should I expect. Will it be a big increase? Are the headers essential?

Volant for the 09' and 10' is a real disappointment in the quality and fit and finish, I have had 8 Volants and they were the best, but not since GM changed the MAF setup in 09'. Dyno is the best tuning by far, but if the dealer catches you with a dyno tune (if you take your truck in for service) they can detect your tune, not as much as a chance with Predator, you can change the tune back to stock, or you can get another computer and switch your modded computer and put the stock one back in, I may know someone who did that. ;)

hcvone
10-04-10, 08:06 AM
I've used the Predator tune and it works ok. You will not get any different trans tune with the predator as it's not supported.

I'm going to go with: http://www.blackbearperformance.com/ and use the EFIlive AutoCal. http://www.blackbearperformance.com/autocal.asp

I would also recommend the K&N 63 series with your 2009. The Volant intake has a screwed up MAF placement on their tube.
I have a new tune with trans shifting updates, something new and my 10' is a gunnypig. :) So far so good.

K9Caddy
10-04-10, 08:12 AM
Carl,

You have the new tune with Diablo? BBP has been tuning these trucks for awhile now, I think I'm done with Predator, I'm not waiting any longer... Plus, I can always revert back to stock with the EFILive tuner.

Who knows when Diablo will get the new tuner into production, I'm not going to wait any longer to find out, especially since you are the guinea pig! :)

hcvone
10-04-10, 09:25 AM
Carl,

You have the new tune with Diablo? BBP has been tuning these trucks for awhile now, I think I'm done with Predator, I'm not waiting any longer... Plus, I can always revert back to stock with the EFILive tuner.

Who knows when Diablo will get the new tuner into production, I'm not going to wait any longer to find out, especially since you are the guinea pig! :)

I have been running the new tune for several weeks and really like it, of course it's not like my 09' with dyno tune, but I don't have to put the stock computer back in if I need to go to the dealer either, of course the gains are much better with a dyno tune.

PreachRR
10-04-10, 09:49 AM
when you say "new tune" is that the latest tune offered with the U7194 for our trucks or did you get a custom tune from them?.. I just ordered another predator will hopefully be able to update it when I get it to the latest which is Crom 9r17 .. thanks

quainer
10-04-10, 10:30 AM
Do you know what kind of gains to expect from the CAI, headers, exhaust, tune?

K9Caddy
10-04-10, 10:34 AM
PreachRR,

The Diablo Predator will not get the new trans tune that they've been working on. That's the reason I'm going with Blackbear and EFILive. It will download the data from your vehicle and then you email them the log to be modified. They will modify the computer and trans shift points. I'd also rather do a real drive tune than a dyno tune. Dyno tune is not real world as your actual driving behavior log.

hcvone
10-04-10, 10:51 AM
Do you know what kind of gains to expect from the CAI, headers, exhaust, tune?
Long tube headers, dyno tune, exhaust and intake you can see 50 rwhp, did on my 09'

hcvone
10-04-10, 10:53 AM
when you say "new tune" is that the latest tune offered with the U7194 for our trucks or did you get a custom tune from them?.. I just ordered another predator will hopefully be able to update it when I get it to the latest which is Crom 9r17 .. thanks

No just a gunnipig, but it will be offered as their performance tune if all results come back positive. :)

K9Caddy
10-04-10, 11:53 AM
Carl,

The new tune will NOT work on the Predator hand held tuner. They will be offering a whole new unit that will be able to tune the trans. Who knows when they are coming out with that?

PreachRR
10-04-10, 10:52 PM
PreachRR,

The Diablo Predator will not get the new trans tune that they've been working on. That's the reason I'm going with Blackbear and EFILive. It will download the data from your vehicle and then you email them the log to be modified. They will modify the computer and trans shift points. I'd also rather do a real drive tune than a dyno tune. Dyno tune is not real world as your actual driving behavior log.

Why would you say that the predator would not assist my trans shifting.. I asked them and am awaiting an answer but have no idea why you would say this..

http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=153197#153197

K9Caddy
10-05-10, 04:47 AM
When talking to Mike and 06MonteSS on the Diablo Forum, they both told me that there was NO TCM support available for the tuner. The only thing the Predator could do was "firm" up the stock shifting points. Supposively, they were coming out with a whole new tuner that was going to be available with new tunes along w/ TCM support. I have not received any word on when this was going to be available. I'm not going to wait any longer to find out, the reason i'm going to go with blackbearperformance and use the EFILive tuner.

Here is the latest on the TCM support... It's been going on for YEARS!!

http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8883&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1215

PreachRR
10-05-10, 08:32 AM
Eh.. I had a predator and it definitely improved the trans.. I am just looking for the minor improvements in mileage and performance.. the rest is not to big a deal.. I have a little one riding with me now and keeping my foot out of it is my cause.. ( that and avoiding the subsequent slap on the back of my head from my awesome wifey.. ;0) ) I hope you get your TCM.. as for me, my warranty goes till 11/2012 and 100K b2b.. so the diablo is my only choice .. thanks for the 411 though!

chirochris
10-05-10, 10:21 AM
ok now i am really confused...can someone help me...break it down for the mechanically challenge people(me)...i have an 09 lade with cai and bb cat back system on the way...want a chip...thought diablo was way to go but then this post comes up and scares the shit out of me....someone help!!!.....keep in mind i am clueless to chips and there verbage...for example what is a tcm everyone is waiting for from diablo..

PreachRR
10-05-10, 03:17 PM
I believe that this is "Transmission control module" but one of the biggest problems with all of this tuning is the loss of warranty support from GM once they become aware of your adjusted programming.. basically you tune you lose! however the diablo predator leaves no foot print on your system once you restore it back to the original.. which i can personally attest to due to having had one a few months ago and selling it but restoring the Lade back to stock and having my vehicle serviced with no problems from GM... So i have once ordered and will reinstall it once it arrives.. Some of these other programmers will leave a foot print on you computer and cause you to void your warranty..