: 2007 STS V8 RWD - snow tires necessary or will good all-seasons suffice?

1997SevilleSLS
10-02-10, 11:46 PM
I've searched and have done some reading on the forum about how bad the STS is in the snow...I've read a lot of people say get a set of blizzaks and not worry about it.

If you live in a snowy area, I would like to hear how you cope with winter. Did/do you get winter tires? Did you get a good set of all-season tires? What brand? Are you happy with how they performed? Did you buy a winter beater and not worry about driving the STS in the snow?

Thank you!

Tom

porkfarm
10-04-10, 06:31 PM
You will need snow tires.. I have had mine for just about a year now.. Never took them off and they held up great. I will always run z rated snows year round now.. Have them on 3 cars.. Sure they might not last 20K, but so what, I will get new ones. Night and day traction.

pjbizjak
10-04-10, 07:51 PM
Definitely snow tires. I have a complete second set of tires with Blizzacs on all 4 wheels and I live in the 'snow belt' of N.E. Ohio. The first time driving in snow with the factory Michelins was a nightmare. I put the snows on when the weather forcasters predict the first snowfall and take them off in April. AWD users can get away with all seasons tires.

EChas3
10-04-10, 08:37 PM
3 or fewer snowfalls a year? No need.

More than that? Tires are cheaper than bodywork or doctors.

ddgm
10-05-10, 08:52 AM
I am in Ontario, Canada, we didn't get a lot of snow last winter. I stayed with the stock Michelins as I knew it would be my last winter, in fact I am leaving for our place in Fort Myers, FL on Friday morning. That being said I didn't encounter anything I couldn't handle, knowing not to challenge any deep and long snowdrifts. Possibly the fact that I learned to drive on and have many years experience with mostly high powered RWD cars, could be a factor.

Doug

EChas3
10-05-10, 09:19 PM
A good driver can make it through a lot of conditions that they really shouldn't.

porkfarm
10-07-10, 11:35 AM
3 or fewer snowfalls a year? No need.

More than that? Tires are cheaper than bodywork or doctors.

Very True !!

That's what I said after I dinged the door on a cloverleaf going from one highway to the next in an awd car with all seasons. Rain was just turning to ice.. I feather the gas as the guard rail got closer.. If I just had a tiny bit more traction, I could have drove out of it. Took me a week to get the ding fixed correctly. ( doing it myself )

After that, tirerack.com and snows for every car.

Ever go across painted crosswalk in the rain and have the traction control kick in ? Very rare for TC to kick in at all now...

fredpamm
10-08-10, 02:31 PM
Talking to a tire guy one time and he said this. All-seasons are mediocre tires that are not good in rain snow or shine. he said get snows for winter and high performance for summer..

EChas3
10-08-10, 09:07 PM
I will say that new Conti DWS (235/50R18) on my AWD were great in their first Winter, Spring & Summer. Count on me to report back next Spring for miles 10,000-15,000. But it's true. All-seasons are by nature a compromise. Compromise is design for the real world.

F1 is unreal. (Oh, it's damp, time for a tire change!)