: CD changer wiring in a Fleetwood 1996.

jonl
10-02-10, 03:09 PM
I drive a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham, does anyone know if it's pososible to install a factory CD-changer and get it working with my Delco audio unit (UPO audiosystem, with CD-player). (manufactured Dec 19 1995) it has these numbers on it:
Partnumber: 16200363 BKCU
Product ID: 2001
898KCURL 53530048
The CD-changer wiring seems to be missing in my trunk. I only found a small extra connector in the trunk, I believe it's for a cellular phone equipment. It has only three conductors attached and a separate (I think) antenna cable.
The Fleetwoods cars that have the ULO system (only casette without CD player) had an option with dealer installed CD changer. Could it be that all cars with ULO have this extra cable and the ones with UPO have not ?
Perhaps the wiring to the trunk have these lacking conductors in the bundle but they are not attached to a connector ?
Is it possible to buy an aftermarket harness, between the radio and the cd-changer in the trunk ?
I would be glad for some information on this subject.

cadillacmike68
01-21-17, 01:45 AM
PM doesn't seem to work.
I have the exact same situation. I also have the service manual and it mentions the 12 disc changer but NO schematics ?!?!? I can't seem to find the wiring in my trunk either. Any ideas?

Does ANYONE here have a 1995 or 1996 Fleetwood with the 12 disc trunk changer?

Cadillacboy
01-22-17, 02:31 AM
12 disc changer ? I have not heard of them , must be a big deal back in those days . Excuse me but why bother to deal with these antiquated devices ? When we bought our ride it came with SONY aftermarket CD Changer too , I don't recommend anyone having these installed in their cars .CDs were broken (may be due to being MP3 rips ) and sometimes you could hear stranged whiz buzz sounds and you have to pick a clean FM station to get the CDs to play
Now, we replaced it with SONY Car Audio system it also supports Bluetooth as well as rear camera .

brougham
01-22-17, 01:00 PM
They were only dealer installed units and it hooked up differently then the factory ones.
I had an FM modulator changer in my Deville and never had any problems with it. You can get them cheap on ebay. But why bother now days when you can just use an ipod.

cadillacmike68
01-24-17, 02:26 AM
Some of us might want to keep the original radio, for various reasons. Maybe perhaps because mine is a Cadillac national award willing show car.

The GM 12 disc changer was both a factory and dealer installed option. I just can't seem to locate the harness connector in the trunk. It is also a direct connect - not an FM modulator. I had the changer in my 2000 ElDorado convertible and it worked perfectly. Now that car is gone and I'd like it in my 1996 Fleetwood.

Here are some GM part #s

My 12 disc changer: 12462981
GM superceded with this #: 25678544
1996 Fleewood harness #: 16231732

The 2 numbers for the disc changer show up in various places, but the I can't find the harness part # anywhere. Maybe someone has some insight.

brougham
01-24-17, 07:08 PM
I can't find my 1996 brochure, but 1995 the cd changer was an add on and not a factory option.
It is very possible that if it did change to a factory option for 96 it only got the harness if the car came with the option, that's how some makes did it.
Is the changer the right one for Fleetwood? Some people here have found that even with a Delco changer if it wasn't the one the car was supposed to come with they weren't able to make it work.

cadillacmike68
01-24-17, 07:14 PM
I can't find my 1996 brochure, but 1995 the cd changer was an add on and not a factory option.
It is very possible that if it did change to a factory option for 96 it only got the harness if the car came with the option, that's how some makes did it.
Is the changer the right one for Fleetwood? Some people here have found that even with a Delco changer if it wasn't the one the car was supposed to come with they weren't able to make it work.

Hi, Yes, the changer is the correct one for the car. I checked the part #s with the dealer. The 12462981 was the original PN and was superseded by25678544 for 1996-2002 (or 05) Cadillacs. Probably a firmware update because they look the same.

I'll have to really dig in the back. I have to partially remove the trunk liner anyway to replace the power pull down switch which is acting up (literally). I hope I don't have to replace the harness, but then again my Eldorado came with the harness wire already there...