: Need help...

King335i
10-02-10, 08:44 AM
I'm stuck between the CTS-V Coupe, an ESS Supercharged M3, or the C63 w/ P31.

Any thoughts, opinions?

Mike 09 V
10-02-10, 11:06 AM
First, it is a good thing to buy an American built car. Second, the other cars cost a lot more to fix. Third, the reason we are all on this Cadillac forum is because we made that choice already.

FWIW, unless you know what an M3 is you can't tell it from the millions of other Beemers running around. The same goes for a V except there aren't as many CTS's out there, the V is distinctively different, and the V looks a hell of a lot better than the M3 or the C-63. (What did you expect from a V owner anyway?)

newcadman
10-02-10, 11:10 AM
Suggestion: drive them back to back or as close as possible back to back, but definitely try driving them all on the same day, FWIW.

Good luck.

aj660
10-02-10, 12:25 PM
I'm stuck between the CTS-V Coupe, an ESS Supercharged M3, or the C63 w/ P31.

Any thoughts, opinions?

They're all nice cars. However, I'm sure your parents would be proud to see their 23 year old son driving a Cadillac. And since they're the ones most likely paying for it, then go with the V-Coupe; I think it's the car they'd pick for you......And if I'm wong and you just work hard and make a lot of money, then just pick the one that you like the best.

It's great that you're able to own such a nice car at 23.

TMC CL65
10-02-10, 01:09 PM
First of all, what are you looking for criteria wise? Are you looking for straight line speed? Are you looking for best handling car? Are you looking for luxury? Are you looking for best combination of all the above? Also, are you planning to modify the CTS-V coupe and C63? The ESS supercharged M3 is a really fast car (I assume you would be doing an E92 M3). Most of those ESS M3 guys are running meth injection to get added power and keep it "safe". Unless you heavily modify both the CTS-V coupe and C63, you won't be able to touch the ESS M3s (with meth injection). The C63 will take major $'s to touch either car. Are you looking to buy an M3 and do the conversion yourself, or are you buying one used? I would be somewhat leery of buying someone else's modded car. Buying someone else's headache can be a disaster...

Tom

baabootoo
10-02-10, 02:58 PM
Get off the fence b...... :)

King335i
10-02-10, 05:41 PM
I can't really drive all 3 of them back to back, there is rarely ever a CTS-V around here, let alone a coupe. I have driven the M3 and the C63 and I appreciated the differences between them, both were amazing to drive.
I am looking for straight line power that can also hustle through the twisties with no problem whatsoever. If I did buy the E92 M3 I would be getting it stock and then modifying it, and I also would be modifying the C63, though with the P31 package I'm not sure how much modifying it would need. As far as the V Coupe goes, I would most likely only add an exhaust & headers & maybe a transmission tune.
And aj660, you're right, I am very fortunate. However I resent the notion that mommy and daddy are paying for the car, because they're not--and quite frankly I fail to see what that has to do with my question in the first place.
On a final note, is the ESS supercharged M3 that much faster than both the C63 and the V?

TMC CL65
10-02-10, 06:53 PM
There are so many different stages of ESS supercharger packages for the E92 M3. They range from 535rwhp to 625rwhp. They are priced between $8K to $15K uninstalled and without exhaust systems. For another $3,400 to $5,700 you can get their full exhaust systems (uninstalled). So if you have $25K to burn on top of the price of an E92 M3 for the top of the line ESS package, you should compare a fully modded CTS-V which would include heads, cam, upper and lower pulleys, headers, CAI, tune and heat exchanger. They would probably put down similar 1/4 mile #'s given proper traction. The CTS-V would be harder to launch with at least 200+lbs-ft of torque over the ESS M3. Honestly, the C63 would need large quantities of nitrous (on top of every known 63 bolt-on which will set you back a good $15+K) to compete....and if you throw spray on either the modded CTS-V or ESS M3...you are once again putting the C63 way back in the rear view mirror.

BTW, why would you go with only headers and tune on the CTS-V without doing an upper or lower (or both) pulleys? It seems way too conservative given your ESS M3 option...which is throwing boost on top of a very high compression engine.

Tom

newcadman
10-02-10, 07:33 PM
I can't really drive all 3 of them back to back, there is rarely ever a CTS-V around here, let alone a coupe. I have driven the M3 and the C63 and I appreciated the differences between them, both were amazing to drive.
I am looking for straight line power that can also hustle through the twisties with no problem whatsoever. If I did buy the E92 M3 I would be getting it stock and then modifying it, and I also would be modifying the C63, though with the P31 package I'm not sure how much modifying it would need. As far as the V Coupe goes, I would most likely only add an exhaust & headers & maybe a transmission tune.
And aj660, you're right, I am very fortunate. However I resent the notion that mommy and daddy are paying for the car, because they're not--and quite frankly I fail to see what that has to do with my question in the first place.
On a final note, is the ESS supercharged M3 that much faster than both the C63 and the V?

I know you say you have driven the M3 and C63 but the impression you're giving is that you haven't perhaps driven a CTS-V, let alone a coupe because they don't seem to be around.

If this is the case, do yourself a big favor and take the time to find one and test drive it.
Then, take it for a blast by driving it like you stole it, even if it means the sales person riding with you has to change his underwear afterwards!

Realistically, only by experiencing some of the V's potential can you make a good comparison.
I think by doing this, it will assist, not confuse your decision making process!

If you get a chance let us know which way you decide to go.

Best of luck.

gnxs
10-02-10, 07:44 PM
BTW, why would you go with only headers and tune on the CTS-V without doing an upper or lower (or both) pulleys? It seems way too conservative given your ESS M3 option...which is throwing boost on top of a very high compression engine.

Tom
Exactly my thoughts. A heads, cam, pullies, exhaust and ported blower combo on a "V" is not nearly as radical or risky as throwing a SC on the already high-strung BMW engine and I'd guess the "V" would still be the faster car.

I had a response typed up this morning, but figured I'd let it play out figuring everybody would touch on what I was thinking anyway. One thing's for sure, no matter which gets chosen, there's no doubt he'll be tooling around in a nice ride. :thumbsup:

cbloveday
10-02-10, 08:35 PM
Good Luck, the only brand of the 3 I have not driven is the MB.
I sat in an E63 and wasn't impressed. I owned and M6. I now own the caddy.
You will drop easily 20m in the MB or BMW for horsepower, exhaust, and suspension upgrades. I have been there, tust me. What a waste.

Drive the Caddy, consider the cost to service and upgrade each vehicle and then go with it.
Good luck.

Domsz06
10-03-10, 02:31 PM
i have ridden/drove all three, granted the m3 i drove was not a SC.

I honestly can't believe your even considering it? You can buy the V and it has the sc already and is warrantied for 100k. The ESS m3 has no warranty as soon as you put that on it.

If you want more power and don't care about the warranty then for a grand you can make the v have 550 rwhp with a lower pulley or you can put the upper pulley on for about 200 plus labor to have it pressed on and you get 530 rwhp.

I was in your same boat, but then I started looking at what it costs to fix or mod the m3, and it's a no brainer. So unless you have tons of money and money isn't an issue the V is hands down the best bang for the buck.

Domsz06
10-03-10, 02:34 PM

yes the ess m3 with the right package is faster then the v, but for a grand you put the lower pulley on and the v smokes it everytime...

I guess what I'm saying is this, if you buy a stock m3 or a stock v, for the price of what your going to spend on the ess, exhaust etc, you can make your v a 9 second car and still have 15k in the bank.

I mean exhaust for a m3 is what 3-6k, v it's 1000.

tune for the m3 is 1500 down here, not sure what it is there....

Just saying.....

PremierJosh
10-03-10, 02:43 PM
All I can say is make sure you drive a V before you make your decision. Where are you located?

Stumeat
10-03-10, 02:46 PM
I am thinking bang for the buck, there's nothing that touches the Caddy. The only drawback I see is the build quality. It is still just a fancy GM compaired to the Germans. Just saying.... :hide:

cbloveday
10-03-10, 04:50 PM
I am thinking bang for the buck, there's nothing that touches the Caddy. The only drawback I see is the build quality. It is still just a fancy GM compaired to the Germans. Just saying.... :hide:

I could not disagree more.

If you flip your cars every 3-5 years, you'll be glad you got the V and modded it.

The difference in build quality is not worth the extra $. IMHO

Your paying out the A$$ every time you turn around with the european cars.