: Engine air filter changed

Mike 09 V
10-02-10, 02:10 AM
I decided to change my air filter (stock) at 15K miles. Here in AZ we have a dusty atmosphere and it seemed like the right thing to do. The owners manual says change at 50K unless conditions require it more frequently. I could not find a filter at any local auto supply and didn't even bother to check with the dealer, figuring they would bend me over on the price, so I ended up ordering it from Checker. About $18.

I pulled out the original filter and it didn't look too dirty. If I held it up to a bright light source you couldn't see through it but directly up to the sun you could see light. Anyway the new filter is a Fram and the obvious differences are thus: Real easy to see light through it. It seems that the filter media is not as stiff as the original filter. The Fram media is white and the original is a color like a buff legal size envelope. The Fram has 75 pleats, and the original has 95. You can easily see through the Fram. The original has a metal screen on the top that is formed with a couple raised areas, reminds me of the bulge in the hood for the SC, and I have no clue why. The Fram had a flat screen with no bulges. The Fram has a bead of what looks like hard amber colored plastic on the bottom for stiffening of the pleats I guess, and the original has 2 beads across the bottom. While I was at it I cleaned the MAF sensor. The car seems to run OK after the change and cleaning, but I did the swap while the car was hot so when I test drove it it was already warmed up. I'll know more when I start it cold tomorrow. It has been idling a little rough when cold, kinda like it has a cam if you know what I mean. Otherwise it has been running perfect with the original filter. I'll check the gas mileage with the new setup and if there is a noticeable difference I will let you all know. I know a lot of you are running CAI kits with K&N filters but I don't know what the rest of you are doing in this area. Letting the dealer change it, or doing it yourself?
Mike

neuronbob
10-02-10, 07:07 AM
When I was at wait4me's place almost four months ago, he changed out my filter as part of a test prior to installing an intake. The resulting dyno run caused a gain in power. The factory filter was noticeably dirty. Honestly, it made me a) want to change/clean filters every 10k miles and b) start wearing a filter mask to breathe here in Cleveland from the obviously bad air quality.

JFJr
10-02-10, 09:40 AM
I change every 20 - 30,000 miles, depending on how many times that I've encountered dusty conditions. I let the Cadillac dealer service department handle it as part of a routine oil change visit. I didn't notice any difference in performance after the last change.

Jud

DrumStix
10-02-10, 10:47 AM
Factory filters are notoriously asthmatic as well. You can do a lot better just doing to Pep Brothers and grabbing a non-OEM unit.

baabootoo
10-02-10, 02:01 PM
I think the "sunlight test" is a myth from days gone by. :) If you're going to stick with a stock-sized filter, go K&N so it will last forever. If it gets too dirty, really dirty that is, just clean, reoil, and reuse.