: Strange car features

Night Wolf
10-01-10, 09:11 AM
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1529/the-strangest-car-features/

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-01-10, 09:17 AM
Neat! That "openometer" just sounds odd. I've seen a few real high end luxury cars with the ability to adjust the passenger seat from the rear seat for additional legroom.

slk230mb
10-01-10, 12:22 PM
Neat! That "openometer" just sounds odd. I've seen a few real high end luxury cars with the ability to adjust the passenger seat from the rear seat for additional legroom.

My mom's 2003 LS430 has that. Great way to trick unassuming passengers. :canttalk:

ben.gators
10-01-10, 05:32 PM
Openometer is just stupid....

Aron9000
10-02-10, 12:13 AM
So I wonder how fast a Bugatti Veyron goes without the top speed key???

The-Dullahan
10-02-10, 12:20 AM
Take THAT, Kia. Stupid Hamster-Wagons have recall problems.

Some older cars came with electric razors. That is probably the best idea ever, as being clean shaven is a must at all times, even while driving.

The adjustable light feature seems neat and novel, but I can't imagine ever changing it after choosing the colour you wanted. I would probably alter the lighting of my dash, but I actually really like that shade (thank god I didn't get a later Brougham with all the blue digital nonsense) but I changed the standard interior lights about as soon as I got the vehicle to Florida.

Jesda
10-02-10, 04:12 AM
The Q45 also had a scent dispenser. It was a vented unit placed under the driver's seat. Its why every single Q45 smells like new, even if its been sitting in a junkyard (if doors are shut). However, you couldn't choose your scent like you can in the Fiat. Its a $12 part available from any Nissan or Infiniti dealer. The manual doesn't say how often to change it out. I've considered putting it in other cars.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-02-10, 08:55 AM
That would be real funny to swap the scent dispenser for something that smelled like farts.

Stingroo
10-02-10, 02:01 PM
Would make an excellent practical joke.

The-Dullahan
10-03-10, 12:46 AM
Actually...come to think of it, my car CAME with a scent. That of dead people and embalming fluid, a somewhat sweet, yet burning smell.

Interesting Story about Embalming Fluid and it's lovely scent.
Prolonged direct exposure can cause one to pass out. This has resulted in an interesting scenario after Hurricane Katrina, where several cemeteries lost their corpses (Because some Cemetery worker was slacking) and they washed up in fields, open and exposed to sunlight and air, filling the surrounding environment with fumes causing passing refugees to pass out, looking much like the other corpses strewn about, only to suddenly rise up later on, much to the shock of other refugees.

Stingroo
10-03-10, 04:50 AM
Speaking of strange features, and maybe this wouldn't go under "strange" but more "very 1980s", my friend has an '86 300ZX Turbo, and it talks. It's annoying as crap!

Playdrv4me
10-03-10, 07:01 AM
The strangest and by FAR the most pointless feature I've ever had on any car has to be the Amplifier "ON/OFF" button (the small speaker icon on the image below) on early E46 BMWs with Harman/Kardon sound. When you pressed this button, all of the "premium sound" benefits were disabled and you were left with a few door speakers. Hit the button again and you were back to a reasonably nice sounding premium audio system. I always called it the "GOOD SOUND OFF" button and to this day have not the foggiest clue what practical purpose that feature could ever have had. I suppose it helped one or two salesmen convince their customer the audio upgrade was worth it, but that's about it.

Apparently BMW felt the same way, that button lasted 2 years in the E46 and whatever other models it was in, and hasn't been seen since (unfortunately, the quality of the Harman system curiously diminished the year the button was removed as well)...

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5347/mfb4.jpg

Night Wolf
10-03-10, 12:02 PM
BMW has been doing quirky things with their sound systems for a long time. 80s BMWs are a mess when it comes to putting in after market stuff. The speakers share a common ground - so the entire system really needs to be rewired because it'll never sound right, if even work at all. They used a seperate amp in the trunk and had a stand alone fader control in the dash that further complicates things. The speakers them selves are actually -very- good, but now with old wiring and headunits that probably don't work, when it is time to put a new sound system in, you really need to wire the thing up from scratch.