: BAD squealing coming from my 1989 brougham

FreshPaint
09-30-10, 11:28 PM
I have the stock 307.

A while ago my car started squealing pretty badly. I figured it was the belts so I changed them all.... except my a/c belt. (Was 1 in the morning and I had to be up for work at 3:30. So I just put it together, figuring I'll do it some other day because this had been a huge pain in my arse). So for a while it would squeal every once in a blue moon, (seemed like only when the rpms were low). I just wrote it off as the a/c belt. So I get a date coming up, and I don't wanna be rolling around in a squealing caddy. So I cut the belt. BIG mistake. Now it won't stop squealing... period.

The squealing is coming from the passenger side, near where the AC pully/ compressor is.

MudAnt
10-01-10, 12:37 AM
I had this problem with my '86 when I first got it, but it was fixed at the dealer along with some other little things. No idea what they did to fix it, I think they just tightened all the tensioners to stock specs.

csbuckn
10-01-10, 01:05 AM
You are gonna need to put the AC belt back on to even out the load on the other pulleys to stop the squelling. Do you still have the smog belt on?

caddeville89
10-01-10, 07:03 AM
Ditto what csbuckn said. And you need a pry bar or a breaker bar to put enough tension on. The power steering pulley also drives the water pump pulley, which is what drives the alternator, AIR pump and together with the crank pulley drives the AC pump. If the power steering pulley is loose, the thing will start to squeal under one of several hundred hypothetical conditions. Kind of a pain to get to the bolts. I also had to have someone else crank the pump with a breaker bar to get tension (potential for bad things but...) Then, tension everything else, preferably having somebody else put the tension on while you tighten the bolts. Good luck and let us know how it all goes!

outsider
10-01-10, 07:05 AM
yeah you should have all belts on and then adjust them all to spec and it SHOULD stop squealing, unless one of the pullies is making the squealing it's self.