: New stereo installed!!!

GenrlRodes
09-30-10, 03:19 PM
Thanks to James thefleetwoodguy, I just finished installing my factory am/fm/tp/cd sterero in my 1995 Brougham.... It sounds awesome.

Now for the factory chrome wheels I am purchasing from him.... I will be all set.

turbojimmy
09-30-10, 03:23 PM
Would you happen to know why if you go to Crutchfield, for example, that they don't list any aftermarket head units for our cars? Is it a fitment thing or an electronics thing?

CadillacPimpinNOLA
09-30-10, 09:37 PM
any aftermarket radio will work in the fleetwood. you just have to run a longer harness to the passenger rear to the factory amplifier. as for fitment, for it to properly fit in the dash you need to cut a plastic part of the dash out thats behind the radio. then the radio will fit in flush. if not it sticks out the dash 2-3"

Cadillacboy
10-01-10, 03:42 PM
Good for you , kudos to fleetwoodguy
:highfive:

mjs182004
10-01-10, 05:39 PM
pictures please, I would like to see

turbojimmy
10-28-10, 12:20 PM
any aftermarket radio will work in the fleetwood. you just have to run a longer harness to the passenger rear to the factory amplifier. as for fitment, for it to properly fit in the dash you need to cut a plastic part of the dash out thats behind the radio. then the radio will fit in flush. if not it sticks out the dash 2-3"

I need to resurrect this thread again.

Looking at the factory service manual for my '96, it does not appear as if there is an external tuner or amplifier in my car. It is not a Bose system. The wiring diagram shows all the wires running directly from the radio to the speakers. Could this be true? If so, it would be easy to install an aftermarket stereo but I'd like a plug-n-play adapter. Problem is, when I look for such an adapter for my car it gives me a $65 "kit" that "bypasses the factory external tuner and allows the Bose system to function". Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

Bro-Ham
10-28-10, 12:28 PM
Jim, Just to clarify, and hopefully this may help, the rear drive Fleetwood of your model year did not have a BOSE sound system available. Dave

turbojimmy
10-28-10, 01:02 PM
Jim, Just to clarify, and hopefully this may help, the rear drive Fleetwood of your model year did not have a BOSE sound system available. Dave

Thanks. The Crutchfield site at least acknowledges the fact that the Bose system wasn't an option. But they go on to say that due to the complexity of my wiring that I should get an adapter. They point me to an adapter whose function is to bypass the external tuner. I don't have an external tuner - I'm sure of it. According to the FSM, it's a single, self-contained radio. The only thing that is slightly different than an aftermarket unit is a single wire that runs to the Data Link Connector. I assume that the only purpose of this is to unlock it in the event the TheftLock is activated.

Bro-Ham
10-28-10, 02:02 PM
Good luck with finding a solution that pleases you.

I use a $15 MP4 player I got on eBay that transmits all my music from an SD card through an FM modulated station. This allows me to keep my original crappy Delco ETR 1979 radio. :)

turbojimmy
10-28-10, 02:54 PM
Good luck with finding a solution that pleases you.

I use a $15 MP4 player I got on eBay that transmits all my music from an SD card through an FM modulated station. This allows me to keep my original crappy Delco ETR 1979 radio. :)

I have greater aspirations :-)

I want a DVD head unit with A/V outputs so I can put a 2nd monitor in the back of the limo (hung from the ceiling). To me, there's no reason a standard DD head unit won't work. I just want a plug-n-play adapter, but with evidently wrong information out there about what's installed from the factory I can't seem to find one.

thefleetwoodguy
10-28-10, 04:27 PM
just for clarification
the 93-95 fleetwoood radio's
often referred to as bose
are actually technics, as I have worked
on the internals on a few occasions
all the major chips are printed with
the technics logo , for what ever thats worth....

csbuckn
10-28-10, 04:28 PM
The standard double din will fit with a standard wire adapter, Crutchfield has been said many times to be wrong about all 93-96 Broughams. Circuit City used to sell direct clip to clip adapters, no hard wiring at all but I dont know if they are still around.

turbojimmy
10-28-10, 08:00 PM
So Crutchfield got back to me with this:

"The reason that we only list one head unit as fitting in your Fleetwood is due to mounting depth restrictions in the factory radio opening. According to our research file on the car, there is only 6.16" of available depth in the existing dash opening, and most aftermarket receivers are around 6.5" - 7" deep. The Dual XML8110 iPod receiver measures only 5.895" deep, which is why we list it as the only option. If you can overcome this depth issue somehow, we do offer a mounting kit for the Fleetwood that will allow you to properly mount a double-DIN head unit. Therefore, you may want to consult with a professional installer in your area to see if modifications can be made to the dash opening to provide more depth."

They are right - the HVAC system is in the way. So it isn't a wiring thing. I guess I could have an aftermarket receiver stick out a little.

outsider
10-28-10, 08:26 PM
i read somewhere that you just have to cut some plastic from behind the radio to get more depth...

turbojimmy
10-28-10, 08:51 PM
i read somewhere that you just have to cut some plastic from behind the radio to get more depth...

Yeah, there's a brace back there but not sure if they count that in their 6.16" measurement. It doesn't buy you much, but maybe enough to get an aftermarket radio in there....

outsider
10-28-10, 09:15 PM
from what I've read and heard from people who did it, it gives you the space you need.

turbojimmy
10-28-10, 09:17 PM
from what I've read and heard from people who did it, it gives you the space you need.

I'll have to take the stock one out and measure. Thanks.

jesterof84
10-29-10, 05:12 PM
im glad somone else figured out that there are exeptions to the external CDM i just made a metra install kit fit the dash and cut 6" off the radio harness and pind it out everone swor it had a cdm but it dont

turbojimmy
10-30-10, 12:30 PM
im glad somone else figured out that there are exeptions to the external CDM i just made a metra install kit fit the dash and cut 6" off the radio harness and pind it out everone swor it had a cdm but it dont

I know! I'm going to have to make my own harness, too, I guess.

Barrister_07101
11-07-10, 11:30 PM
I have a regular double-din in my 1994. No problem.