Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2006 STS Voice Recognition

7K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  ECha3 
#1 ·
Has anyone replaced or had their VR replaced or is it possible? I know from the forum the VR doesn't work very good. My car, still under warranty for another year, been to two different dealers, who concludes it must be me. This just doesn't make much sense. Think they are waiting for the warranty to expire. Has anyone every contacted GM with this problem? And if have, whom do you contact or email. I assume this thing (VR) is supposed to work. I have no problem with my daughter's 09 Honda VR system. Would GM try to correct this, or just pass it off? Appreciate any ideas or any good inputs or recomendations... I've tried the U.S. male and female English. Neither seem any better. However, it seems that the U.K. English might just respond a tad better. Not as many pardons anyway. It just doesn't seem logical that this VR system is unrepairable.
dhac

#3 ·
My VR is so bad that I don't even use it. It is really horrible. I don't need it to open/close windows or change the radio but just for the telephone applications. It still sucks so I have onstar phone when in motion and screen dial on my bluetooth when stopped and that seems to work well for me.

#5 ·
Mine works fair with practice. One forum member reported a big improvement from moving the mic to the ceiling left of the driver. Personally, here's my advice:

1. Make sure windows and sunroof are closed and the fan is low speed.
2. Don't speak louder; a softer voice can often work better.
3. Don't stretch consonents (Yes, not Yeasss)
4. Vowels hardly matter (a, e, i, o & u)
5. Nametags work great because they are in your own voice.
6. List the commands from 'Navi Help'. The firmware upgrade reduced their number.

#8 ·
It's not you. The VR in my 2006 was unusable when I got the car. It didn't matter what I tried I could only get a very few of the commands to work on occasion. BUT, there is a software update to correct this problem. Do a search on this site and you'll find the details. Your dealer will need to get the update disk and install it for you. Once the update was completed the VR works just fine, though you do need to remember the somewhat cryptic commands it uses. I'll admit I seldom use it, but at least it works like it's supposed to now.

#10 ·
Maybe it's a problem with the mic?

The same mirror mounted mic is used for VR, Bluetooth phone & Onstar. Do you have issues with the other functions? Have you ever recorded a nametag? How does it sound during the playback phase of Nametag programming? Any pops or buzz?

#11 ·
No problem with On-Star or name tags. No unusual noise/sound during play back of name tags.
However, when I call for a particular name tag in often gets the wrong one. Is the mike a replaceable item or have to go to dealer? Thanks for your inputs thoe. Appreciated.
dhac

#16 ·
A better way to get a list of commands is to press the VR butoon on the steering wheel and say 'Navigation help" or 'Navigation list'. Regardless of your Nav firmware level, your system's commands will be displayed.

Make sure your windows are closed, the fan is on low or off. Speak normally and don't stretch words. Quieter works better than louder.

#17 ·
A better way to get a list of commands is to press the VR butoon on the steering wheel and say 'Navigation help" or 'Navigation list'. Regardless of your Nav firmware level, your system's commands will be displayed.
This is one way, yes. I would suggest it is more of an adequate "Quick Reference". I don't know that I'd say it's better, primarily because the printed document offers more detail including which words are optional in each spoken command. For me, less to remember is helpful and may actually decrease system errors.

#20 ·
I agree the Nav manual is worthwhile, both dead tree & pdf versions. The reason I recommend the Navi Help is because it provides the reduced instruction set found in the upgraded firmware in older models.

Ultimately, the VR is mostly useless. I only use 'Phone dial name'.

I love my Lockpick!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.