: Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC.

Andy_TN
09-29-10, 09:03 PM
Apparently we're not the only ones with this issue, hence my reaching out to see if anyone else here has had the problem. Essentially, the time in the nav display itself resets itself to about -7hrs of the present EST anytime you shut the car off and come back to it. As well, when you go to enter an address into the nav, the default location is Washington, DC. So you have to re-enter your city, state, etc every time. And everytime you reset the clock to the proper time, it reverts the next time you start the car. I have also noticed the nav acting a little funky a couple of times, for example, we got back in the car after dinner out one night and according to the screen we were driving in the complete opposite direction for about 2 miles. It finally caught itself and showed us back on track, but that was a bit odd.

Anyways, so the car is in the shop. They've had it since last Tuesday but didn't touch it until Monday of this week (awesome huh!). And what we're hearing is that they've been in touch with GM because reprogramming this nav / computer system is not easy. They even threw a whole new physical nav unit at it today (supposedly), to no avail. So they'll have another tech helping tomorrow to see if he can figure out the reprogramming, if not, then they go back to talk to GM I guess - and it sits there for who knows how much longer.

So for the one or two techs lurking here, have you seen this issue or something like it? Is the navi so complicated that there's not a set protocol for resetting/reprogramming everything?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

stevec5375
09-29-10, 10:06 PM
Apparently we're not the only ones with this issue, hence my reaching out to see if anyone else here has had the problem. Essentially, the time in the nav display itself resets itself to about -7hrs of the present EST anytime you shut the car off and come back to it. As well, when you go to enter an address into the nav, the default location is Washington, DC. So you have to re-enter your city, state, etc every time. And everytime you reset the clock to the proper time, it reverts the next time you start the car. I have also noticed the nav acting a little funky a couple of times, for example, we got back in the car after dinner out one night and according to the screen we were driving in the complete opposite direction for about 2 miles. It finally caught itself and showed us back on track, but that was a bit odd.

Anyways, so the car is in the shop. They've had it since last Tuesday but didn't touch it until Monday of this week (awesome huh!). And what we're hearing is that they've been in touch with GM because reprogramming this nav / computer system is not easy. They even threw a whole new physical nav unit at it today (supposedly), to no avail. So they'll have another tech helping tomorrow to see if he can figure out the reprogramming, if not, then they go back to talk to GM I guess - and it sits there for who knows how much longer.

So for the one or two techs lurking here, have you seen this issue or something like it? Is the navi so complicated that there's not a set protocol for resetting/reprogramming everything?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

There is a Cadillac Bulletin on your problem. I can't believe there are so many helpless dealerships out there. And to think I have to endure one right here in Austin, TX, home of the geeks.

Read this whole thread for your answer where eventually, I posted the actual bulletin contents. In short, they need to replace your radio/nav unit.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/204438-last-played-favorites-remembered-after-shutdown.html

Andy_TN
09-29-10, 10:20 PM
Awesome, thanks Steve.

Ahhh, and this explains the "I agree" screen that all of the sudden started appearing with each cycle. We didn't understand why that started, but I assumed some software update when we took it in last and that it is the new default mode - since many vehicles DO require you to AGREE at every ignition cycle.

Andy_TN
09-30-10, 08:55 PM
Some clarification after speaking to the service mgr....

The new nav unit did not fix it, for some reason. So, they continue to go back and forth with engineers at GM to troubleshoot this "error" that they are each seeing on their respective computer/diagnostic systems. Could take 2 tries, could take 32 tries, maybe a new patch is needed, maybe not.

They finally were able to get us an SRX loaner, so my wife is happy now and doesn't really care how long it takes to fix.

stevec5375
09-30-10, 11:56 PM
Sorry to hear that Andy. It took care of my problem completely. Perhaps it isn't programmed correctly. Let us know how things progress.

Andy_TN
06-09-11, 11:38 PM
Forgot to reply to this thread a while back - but they did finally replace the radio after going back and forth with the main service guys.

And here we are again with the same symptoms - the Washington DC default city and the navi liability screen every time on start-up. We also notice the nav not acquiring sat signal until a minute or two of driving (and we park outside, in the open at night so there's no possible interference).

But this time 'round, after keeping it for 2 days they apparently can't reproduce the problem! They pretty much gave my wife a good brush off and sent her on her way. I'll be going back for a visit soon with a video clip of the issue and the service bulletin. *sigh*

Curious, did you get anywhere with Cadillac CS or was the effort fruitless?

Thanks.

Marc NY
06-10-11, 12:41 PM
... And here we are again with the same symptoms - the Washington DC default city and the navi liability screen every time on start-up. We also notice the nav not acquiring sat signal until a minute or two of driving (and we park outside, in the open at night so there's no possible interference). But this time 'round, after keeping it for 2 days they apparently can't reproduce the problem! They pretty much gave my wife a good brush off and sent her on her way. I'll be going back for a visit soon with a video clip of the issue and the service bulletin. *sigh*

Curious, did you get anywhere with Cadillac CS or was the effort fruitless?

Thanks.My daughter's 2010 Equinox had the exact same issues plus more. Her home NAV screen always came up Washington DC every time she wanted to program a destination. We would have to reprogram the NAV back to New York each time. However, after you shut off the vehicle and restarted it back up again sure enough Washington DC stilled showed up in the search for a destination. When we had the Day Light Savings time change her clock would fall back an hour after being reprogrammed over and over again. :cookoo: The NAV warning "OK" button for accepting the risk of using a NAV Screen would come on every time she would go to use the NAV screen display. There were at least a half a dozen more issues that presented itself over and over again. :banghead:

She took it back to the dealership to only get well you didn't program the vehicle NAV system correctly etc. She came home and lit me up! After I heard her scream at me I went directly to the owner of the dealership and said I would like you to sit in her car and witness me going through all her issues. My daughter has a Master degree in teaching thus she is by no means stupid and she is quite capable of programing and resetting a clock etc etc.

I started up the vehicle after the service guy had said he just programmed everything properly. First thing the owner saw was that the time was off again by one hour! :mad2: I proceeded to walk him through the NAV screen and sure enough the warning screen popped back up. He said well that is a normal feature which happens with all NAV screens. I proceeded to tell him it happens about once a week with my SRX not every time you view or use the NAV screen. Then sure enough again Washington DC popped up as home destination! :suspect:

Long story short... the owner told me he would talk to the service tech and figure out what is wrong with the NAV system or they would order a new Infotainment system for her. Meanwhile I made another appointment to bring in her vehicle. The day before she brought in the car for service there was a new bulletin issued by GM that addressed all of her issues. Sure enough they used a flash drive to downloaded the latest software fix.

It has been fine for the past 3 months. :)

stevec5375
06-10-11, 03:02 PM
Thanks for posting this Marc. What puzzles me is why so many dealerships want to treat people like they're stupid. I have at last convinced my local service adviser that I definitely know what I'm talking about when I come in with my car. I even hand them a Word document with all the details so they can't say I didn't tell them about it.

allgm
06-10-11, 06:16 PM
Had the same problem default washington dc / clock off 1 hr. / would delete previous address but they would show up next time i started up. Dealer reflashed 6 weeks fixed every thing. Last week i noticed washington dc back and address book deletes but comes back on start up. The clock is alright. Back to the dealer monday. Good thing is that they are aware of this problem and i will not feel dumb explainig

sube5186
06-10-11, 11:04 PM
I know there's an option in the Config Menu to reset everything to default. To those who have yet to take their car back to the dealer, have you tried this?

Sube

allgm
06-16-11, 01:42 PM
Back from dealer tried to relash called gm tech dept. They said to put new nav unit in.
Putting the config menu back to default does not work. Thanks sube took me three days to
get my personal setting back lol

bobbig
07-04-11, 07:13 PM
Where can I find the builletin on the Washington, DC, default problem?

allgm
07-04-11, 09:09 PM
finally got my nav unit fixed from washington d.c. Default. We moved to washington d.c. That took care of it
i think that is the only way it is going to get fixed.

frankrizzo135
07-04-11, 11:54 PM
My screen said Washinton,D.C. also. Then after pressing the steering wheel button and telling it destination, it said change state and city. . So in my case I told it was New York and Syracuse for the city. Now it has corrected itself and when I press the dest. button it show New York State.

stevec5375
07-05-11, 09:22 AM
My screen said Washinton,D.C. also. Then after pressing the steering wheel button and telling it destination, it said change state and city. . So in my case I told it was New York and Syracuse for the city. Now it has corrected itself and when I press the dest. button it show New York State.

Did you check it after the car was turned off and sat for at least 15 minutes?

My experience is that you can change it but after the RAP (retained accessory period) expires, it goes back to Washington D.C.

frankrizzo135
07-05-11, 10:40 PM
No, It fixed the problem and Washington,D.C. does not come up and New York does.

JChen
07-08-11, 03:03 PM
I was just at the dealership for this same issue... Dropped off the SRX this morning, got a call an hour later telling me she's ready to go. When I picked her up, the first thing I check was the state listed when entering a destination... Lo and behold, Washington DC. I immediately go back to the Service Department and explain the situation. The Service Rep talks with the tech making sure it was working correctly after the reflash and now they are ordering a new nav unit for me.

I'll keep everyone updated once it arrives but it looks like from what others have posted, a new unit may not fix the problem...

stevec5375
07-09-11, 09:43 AM
I was just at the dealership for this same issue... Dropped off the SRX this morning, got a call an hour later telling me she's ready to go. When I picked her up, the first thing I check was the state listed when entering a destination... Lo and behold, Washington DC. I immediately go back to the Service Department and explain the situation. The Service Rep talks with the tech making sure it was working correctly after the reflash and now they are ordering a new nav unit for me.

I'll keep everyone updated once it arrives but it looks like from what others have posted, a new unit may not fix the problem...

If you have the same experience I did, it will "temporarily" fix the problem. Now mine is acting up again. I wonder how many new Nav units I'll have before my warranty runs out.

Razorecko
07-13-11, 10:43 AM
Had TSB P10285A done for the washington D.C issue and it fixed it. Don't forget though to set it to your state after the TSB though as the dealer wont set your home state most of the time.

stevec5375
07-15-11, 07:21 PM
You folks are gonna luv this one.

I took my SRX to the dealer with a two page list of things to do which were all software updates. One of the things I wanted fixed was the last State entered not being remembered in the Nav. Previously, I had taken it in for this problem and they replaced the entire Nav/Radio unit. However, today my service adviser let me know that whoever replaced the Nav/Radio before had failed to update the software in the unit. I never said anything but my thoughts were, "we'll why did it ever work?" But, I'll pick it all up tomorrow and we'll see.

The bottom line is: don't assume that just because they replace your Nav/Radio to fix a problem that they upgraded the software in it to the latest version.

allgm
07-21-11, 05:28 PM
Dealer installed new nav unit. Got rid of washington dc. Everthing is fine except the xm radio will not stay connected.
This nav unit has a new(rebuilt) radio i.d. Number that belonged to a buick at one time. Called xm 6 times to day it would work but when i turned off car and tried it 15 minutes later no signal. They could not understand how a buick unit got into my srx.
But in the end they said dealer did not hook up something. Back to dealer monday. Has anybody had this kind of problem.
Wish i would of left it alone can live with washinton as home state but got to have xm

bobbig
07-30-11, 08:38 PM
Did you have your NAV system replaced? Did if correct the problem?

allgm
07-30-11, 08:55 PM
NAV UNIT REPLACED AROUND JULY 21st EVERYTHING WAS CORRECTED. I COULD DELETE PREVIOUS DESTINATION. CLOCK WAS CORRECT MY HOME STATE WAS OHIO. BUT THE XM SIGNAL WOULD DISCONNECT WHEN I TURN OFF CAR. REPROGRAMED A DOZ TIME TECH HELP WHOLE 9 YDS.
ANY WAY GETTING A NEW NAV UNIT AUG 1ST. WILL POST RESULTS MONDAY NIGHT

dkozloski
07-31-11, 04:39 AM
Lose the CAPS LOCK.

allgm
07-31-11, 10:47 AM
WHY IS THERE A REASON . MY EYESIGHT IS NOT THAT GOOD. EASIER FOR ME TO READ. :hmm:

stevec5375
07-31-11, 11:26 AM
WHY IS THERE A REASON . MY EYESIGHT IS NOT THAT GOOD. EASIER FOR ME TO READ. :hmm:

On the internet there is a term called "netiquette". Using the CAPS lock key is likened to shouting or screaming. It is considered inappropriate "netiquette" for normal conversation. If you have trouble reading, just increase the font size instead. I hope that helps.

P.S.: You can increase the font size in the browser without affecting the screen resolution of your entire computer.

Marc NY
07-31-11, 01:43 PM
Steve is correct on this one. :shhh:

Having been on many different forums the CAP LOCK function is for "SHOUTING" or LOUDLY :domo: expressing ones opinions or anger. :rant2:

allgm
07-31-11, 01:51 PM
Thank you Steve. I did not know that. Sorry if I offended any body.
Just trying to get the nav fixed. This is the 5th trip to the dealer

allgm
08-01-11, 05:41 PM
Got SRX back from dealer new nav unit installed. Took about 5 hrs. Every thing works even have the little yellow car on the lower left hand of nav screen. Never had the yellow car in the 3 previous reprograms and last new refurbished nav unit.
Also have the weather temp and conditions when I press the information button and the menu icon works.
I think the dealer was as happy as me to get the Nav Unit problem resloved.:)

saugusta
08-24-11, 03:30 PM
Razorecko,

I'm having the same Washington, DC issue with my 2010 SRX nav system. Can you provide link to where this TSB is documented? I can't find anything online.

wag 42
08-25-11, 08:30 AM
Ours did the same as well. We just completed a 2500 mile trip, and basically had to re-enter the addresses each time we had the car off for more than 15 minutes. It was a total pain.

Dropped it off last night for service, we'll see how it goes...

Andy_TN
09-04-11, 01:25 AM
This just never ends....

They keep "updating" the Nav (or so they think) but we continue to have an issue - mainly that the nav will not acquire satellite signal until SEVERAL minutes of driving. It continues to default to Washington, DC when going to destination. Now they're telling us that the Washington DC thing is just "the way it is" on these SRX and CTS models. I think we've now taken it in 4 times for this exact same issue. I'm leaving out quite a bit of the story, but the bottom line here is that they still can't get this figured out and now they're trying to tell us that it's normal for Washington DC to be the default destination.

I'd just like to know if anyone out there has an ABNORMALLY functioning nav - you know, one that does NOT default to Washington??

sube5186
09-04-11, 12:02 PM
This just never ends....

They keep "updating" the Nav (or so they think) but we continue to have an issue - mainly that the nav will not acquire satellite signal until SEVERAL minutes of driving. It continues to default to Washington, DC when going to destination. Now they're telling us that the Washington DC thing is just "the way it is" on these SRX and CTS models. I think we've now taken it in 4 times for this exact same issue. I'm leaving out quite a bit of the story, but the bottom line here is that they still can't get this figured out and now they're trying to tell us that it's normal for Washington DC to be the default destination.

I'd just like to know if anyone out there has an ABNORMALLY functioning nav - you know, one that does NOT default to Washington??

This makes my blood boil, and it's not even my car. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Some of these service departments have two infamous policies. "We don't know what the problem is, so let's blame the customer" and "We don't know what the problem is, so let's say it's normal". THIS IS NOT NORMAL, and don't let them BS you into thinking it is. Ask them if that's true, then why don't they all do this. Mine defaults to my home state and always has. They keep updating your Nav to avoid a much more costly correct repair......replacement of the Nav system. After giving them this many tries, you need to insist that they replace the entire Nav system. Just read the posts from Delores above. I'm sure she'll attest to the fact that replacement is the only option that works.

Sube

Jake2010
09-08-11, 02:22 PM
Hi All,

It's funny that I have read this thread and others like it (concerning the Nav issue) and always thought "glad that weird stuff isn't happening to me"... well guess what? Yep, my Nav is acting funny, here are the symptoms:

* Warning splash screen every time I turn on the car.
* State is defaulting to Washington, DC
* Time is right
* Radio presets are ok
* XM radio started working (I never renewed it)

Any one think the XM radio and the Nav issue are related?

Sube.... I remembering you saying you can set your default location somewhere through the navigation menu. I poked around in the config menu and couldn't find it. Do you happen to remember how you do it? I'd like to take a look and see what it is, I don't expect it to fix the issue though, sounds like a new Nav unit is the only way. So XM and Washington,DC or New Jersey and nothing? :bigroll:

Thanks!

sube5186
09-08-11, 11:44 PM
Sube.... I remembering you saying you can set your default location somewhere through the navigation menu. I poked around in the config menu and couldn't find it. Do you happen to remember how you do it? Thanks!

Hmmmmm......I don't remember saying that. I don't deny it. I just don't remember saying it. Can you find that post so I can figure out what I was talking about? I just now went out and checked the car. I can't find any place to set the default location. When I go to enter an address destination, it displays the last state I entered, which is not necessarily my home state. That state remains until I change it. But whatever state I select, it stays in the memory each time I restart the car.

Sube

Jake2010
09-09-11, 09:11 AM
Hmmmmm......I don't remember saying that. I don't deny it. I just don't remember saying it. Can you find that post so I can figure out what I was talking about? I just now went out and checked the car. I can't find any place to set the default location. When I go to enter an address destination, it displays the last state I entered, which is not necessarily my home state. That state remains until I change it. But whatever state I select, it stays in the memory each time I restart the car.

Sube

You're right Sube, you didn't say that. After reading multiple threads concerning this with pages and pages of posts, everything starts to run together. You mentioned resetting to factory defaults from the config menu... not setting a default location. Sorry, and thanks for checking in your car! I also was looking and didn't find anything. I think I need a new nav unit, my symptoms are similar to others having the problem except my XM starting working. Maybe the others were subscribers so they wouldn't have noticed anything different. Will have it checked-out at next oil change.

Thanks!

wag 42
09-13-11, 01:25 PM
We had ours reprogrammed about 3 weeks ago, and whatever they did, it seemed to work. No more default to Washington DC, and it saves the addresses we added to the address book. So far, so good...

rtsittner
09-15-11, 02:47 PM
Jake2010 - the very same thing happened to me. My navi was working fine and then three days ago, I start the car and the screen didn't rise up. I pressed the navigation button and the warning splash screen appeared. All appeared normal. When I restarted the car later that same day, the same thing happened. I went into the Destination function and the State/Province was listed as Washington DC. Yesterday, I pulled the power from the battery for another project and when I started the car, the screen popped right up. Once I set my preferences, it has not gone back to DC and the warning splash screen has not appeared with each ignition cycle.

Odd...:rolleyes:

Jake2010
09-15-11, 05:48 PM
Jake2010 - the very same thing happened to me. My navi was working fine and then three days ago, I start the car and the screen didn't rise up. I pressed the navigation button and the warning splash screen appeared. All appeared normal. When I restarted the car later that same day, the same thing happened. I went into the Destination function and the State/Province was listed as Washington DC. Yesterday, I pulled the power from the battery for another project and when I started the car, the screen popped right up. Once I set my preferences, it has not gone back to DC and the warning splash screen has not appeared with each ignition cycle.

Odd...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info! Glad everything worked out for you. To make things even stranger, my problem seems to have fixed itself - so I'm happy! Everything is working fine now and I have no more free XM radio, the warning splash screen doesn't come up every ignition cycle and the state doesn't default to Washington DC anymore. It's interesting that it's Washington DC, I think XM's headquarters is in DC - maybe it's related.

Jake

99ssconv
09-17-11, 09:14 PM
Check your current map database version under the Nav key selection. If its not U413 it needs the updated USB firmware installed and SPS programming.

stevec5375
09-18-11, 11:55 AM
Check your current map database version under the Nav key selection. If its not U413 it needs the updated USB firmware installed and SPS programming.

So what if the current map DB version is not U413 and one is not having this problem?

99ssconv
09-18-11, 03:23 PM
I would get the update installed next time you take it in for service, it usually takes anywhere from 35 minutes up to 1.5 hrs depending on if the programming goes through the first time without any issues.

stevec5375
09-19-11, 09:36 AM
I would get the update installed next time you take it in for service, it usually takes anywhere from 35 minutes up to 1.5 hrs depending on if the programming goes through the first time without any issues.

My dealer refuses to put updates on the car unless I can specifically point to a problem that needs to be fixed. Also, I admit I know absolutely nothing about fixing these new computer-controller cars, but I don't understand why updating the "map DB" would fix the location default being remembered. Their first attempt to fix this was to replace the entire Nav/Radio unit. It worked for a while then it was back to Washington D.C. I took it back in again and they fixed it once more. They said that when the Nav/Radio was replaced that they failed to update the software to the latest version.

GM charges $299 for a DVD to update the Nav DB. So it confuses me why updating the Nav DB would fix a memory problem unless they share the same software.

stevec5375
09-20-11, 12:40 PM
OK. I stand corrected. Yesterday when I was stopped in my car, I checked the config and I do indeed have DB update U413. So apparently there is some connection. I had no idea they had updated that when they did the last software upgrade. <blush>

99ssconv
09-20-11, 08:56 PM
The update we install at the dealer is for software/firmware issues. It fixes concerns that GM engineering has identified. It does not update the streets on your navigation. We check the current version and if it has U306 we install the updates to U413. Only way to do that is through gmnavdisc.com which they charge for the updated maps. Hope this helps your confusion

OK. I stand corrected. Yesterday when I was stopped in my car, I checked the config and I do indeed have DB update U413. So apparently there is some connection. I had no idea they had updated that when they did the last software upgrade. <blush>

stevec5375
10-01-11, 04:29 PM
Got in my car Thursday to go meet some people for happy hour. I noticed as I entered the address for the place that the "Washington D.C." issue is back. So my Radio/Nav has been replaced AND I have the U413 DB update.

I am MAJORLY unimpressed and DISMALLY DISAPPOINTED with the electronics and Nav system on the 2010 SRX.

At this point I am not making a special trip to the dealership to get this "fixed" yet again. It will have to wait until an oil change or such.

sube5186
10-01-11, 05:10 PM
Got in my car Thursday to go meet some people for happy hour. I noticed as I entered the address for the place that the "Washington D.C." issue is back. So my Radio/Nav has been replaced AND I have the U413 DB update. I am MAJORLY unimpressed and DISMALLY DISAPPOINTED with the electronics and Nav system on the 2010 SRX.

Steve, I feel for you and certainly understand your frustration. Have you checked the Config Menu "again" to see if the firmware is still U413? I kind of doubt it, but maybe some weird fluke caused it to revert back to the old version. I know it's a long shot, but worth checking anyway. If that's not it, there's something else going on that may not have anything to do with the software.

At this point I am not making a special trip to the dealership to get this "fixed" yet again. It will have to wait until an oil change or such.

That's been my philosophy all along. I usually include a list of things to do along with the oil changes.

Sube

99ssconv
10-01-11, 07:16 PM
sounds like your going to get an exchanged nav radio Steve

stevec5375
10-01-11, 08:12 PM
sounds like your going to get an exchanged nav radio Steve

Really? For the 2nd time? I'd sure like to know who the supplier is for this Nav/Radio. I will make sure to NEVER buy another vehicle that has one in it.

stevec5375
10-01-11, 08:41 PM
I just got back from checking the Nav DB and it's still U413. Furthermore, it's retained the change from Washington D.C. to Texas that I did on Thursday. I swear when I went to enter an address on Thursday it was back to Washington D.C. There is something strange going on here. I don't use the Nav much at all so could it be that my lack of use somehow allows it to revert? 'Tis a mystery.

sube5186
10-01-11, 10:35 PM
I don't use the Nav much at all so could it be that my lack of use somehow allows it to revert?

Nope, don't think so. I don't use mine very often either, but when I do it's always still on the last state selected. However, it does show the disclaimer screen if you don't use it for a while.

Sube

99ssconv
10-05-11, 06:58 PM
pm sent Steve

MTWDSN9
10-06-11, 10:56 AM
I had the same problem here in San Diego, there is a software upgrade that fixes the problem Marvin K. Brown fixed it about a month ago no problem since. Also during the upgrade the AC now works better, go figure.

B Martin
10-10-11, 12:05 PM
My 2010 SRX is having the same problem. Called dealership and explained what was going on, defaults to D.C., memory lost, and ect. I was asked if my battery was going dead, because that has happened with other models. I went to the dealership, didn't buy from New Orleans but should have. After putting that off the wall question to bed, finally spoke to the shop foreman. He didn't know anything about the TSB and he said that the NAV unit's software was up to date. He said they test drove it and the NAV worked perfect. I asked about the disclaimer screen that would pop up every time the car was started. He said that is normal, but everyone here knows that isn't true. I finally got him to walk out to my car to show him that the software version was 306. I had him enter in my home state, and then restarted the car and what do you know D.C. After searching for a TSB, he found the one referred to this forum. I was told that this should have been done when they received the car, PDI or something. Finally got him to do the update to 413, but now none of the buttons are correct (info is the power button, so on). Has anyone had the same problem and if so what was the fix. The dealer is calling GM today to see if the NAV/radio needs to be replaced. HELP!!! My wife is driving me nuts because she thought we bought a CADILLAC.

99ssconv
10-11-11, 10:38 PM
first off if they didnt know about the service bulletin I wouldnt have much confidence in the repair. After the usb update is done you must reprogram the radio. I would guess the calibrations they picked are not correct for your configuration. We have to manually pick different calibrations for the system we are programming using the RPO options of the vehicle being worked on, the SRX's have different features like rear seat entertainment, park sensors, rear camera, etc. We do not check software updates during PDI's or such. If there is another dealer closer I would take it there or maybe you just got unlucky and got the worst tech in the shop. good luck

B Martin
10-17-11, 02:31 PM
first off if they didnt know about the service bulletin I wouldnt have much confidence in the repair. After the usb update is done you must reprogram the radio. I would guess the calibrations they picked are not correct for your configuration. We have to manually pick different calibrations for the system we are programming using the RPO options of the vehicle being worked on, the SRX's have different features like rear seat entertainment, park sensors, rear camera, etc. We do not check software updates during PDI's or such. If there is another dealer closer I would take it there or maybe you just got unlucky and got the worst tech in the shop. good luck

Well, the radio was ordered and installed Friday Oct. 14. Recieved a phone call that the radio was doing the same thing, buttons were crossed up. The Service Foreman was communicating with GM about this problem. Haven't heard any update since Friday evening. As for the calibrations, I will talk to him about that. I have the premium model with rear entertainment.

Avenger9
01-27-12, 06:07 PM
Thought I should update with the latest news. Bear with me as I get off track a bit (and rant) about my recent service experience. So after countless trips to the dealer for long acquisition times, the washington DC issue, etc - we had become somewhat complacent and felt like going back there was just a waste of time. So, when the time changed back in the fall, of course, the SRX thought it was one hour ahead. Always. Even after you manually reset the time. As we know, lots of people (everyone?) seemed to have this problem. So finally, I knew that they could not ignore this and would likely be due for a software/DB update.

So we drop it off with the following complaints:
1. Nav: sat acquisition should not take 45seconds, clock resets itself, washington DC is default destination
2. A/C intermittently blowing cool, but not cold, air
3. Right headlight out

First of all, he would not even log the washington DC issue as a "complaint" on the service intake form. "It's normal" he says. Ugh, right, ok whatever....I'm not arguing right now. A/C, well this is the second time it's had this exact issue. First time they apparently clean some contaminants from the system. And the headlight, well it sounds like it might fall right under that headlight recall! I think we've got just about all the common issues going on with our SRX.

At any rate, fast forward to picking up the car. Clock - still reading one hour ahead. Unbelievable. So I manually set it back, just to see if it stays. Of course not. A/C - i guess is fixed, but haven't really used it. They replaced everything though (compressor, dryer, etc) - ouch! The kicker - right headlight is good, left headlight now out. At this point, I'm shaking my head in disbelief. Unbelievably sloppy work here. It's unfortunate that this dealer is 1mi from our house and the other is a 45min drive, otherwise the decision to take it elsewhere would be a no brainer.

If I hadn't noticed the map DB changed from U413 to U415, I would not have believed they even touched the nav. So naturally, the car goes back, again, for the clock issue and the headlight. After another 4 days in the shop, they ultimately realize that to resolve the clock they need to install a new nav box! Yay, second navi unit in 2 years!

And now, I'm back to U413 - without a "do not watch the screen and drive" warning message (thought that was "normal" too), without it defaulting to washington DC, and with much faster acquisition time.

I'm considering taking it back to him and saying that I'm concerned about the LACK OF defaulting to Washington, DC......since after all, YOU SAID IT WAS NORMAL!

So, let's see how long this nav behavior lasts. Until next time....

stevec5375
01-27-12, 07:17 PM
Thought I should update with the latest news. Bear with me as I get off track a bit (and rant) about my recent service experience. So after countless trips to the dealer for long acquisition times, the washington DC issue, etc - we had become somewhat complacent and felt like going back there was just a waste of time. So, when the time changed back in the fall, of course, the SRX thought it was one hour ahead. Always. Even after you manually reset the time. As we know, lots of people (everyone?) seemed to have this problem. So finally, I knew that they could not ignore this and would likely be due for a software/DB update.

So we drop it off with the following complaints:
1. Nav: sat acquisition should not take 45seconds, clock resets itself, washington DC is default destination
2. A/C intermittently blowing cool, but not cold, air
3. Right headlight out

First of all, he would not even log the washington DC issue as a "complaint" on the service intake form. "It's normal" he says. Ugh, right, ok whatever....I'm not arguing right now. A/C, well this is the second time it's had this exact issue. First time they apparently clean some contaminants from the system. And the headlight, well it sounds like it might fall right under that headlight recall! I think we've got just about all the common issues going on with our SRX.

At any rate, fast forward to picking up the car. Clock - still reading one hour ahead. Unbelievable. So I manually set it back, just to see if it stays. Of course not. A/C - i guess is fixed, but haven't really used it. They replaced everything though (compressor, dryer, etc) - ouch! The kicker - right headlight is good, left headlight now out. At this point, I'm shaking my head in disbelief. Unbelievably sloppy work here. It's unfortunate that this dealer is 1mi from our house and the other is a 45min drive, otherwise the decision to take it elsewhere would be a no brainer.

If I hadn't noticed the map DB changed from U413 to U415, I would not have believed they even touched the nav. So naturally, the car goes back, again, for the clock issue and the headlight. After another 4 days in the shop, they ultimately realize that to resolve the clock they need to install a new nav box! Yay, second navi unit in 2 years!

And now, I'm back to U413 - without a "do not watch the screen and drive" warning message (thought that was "normal" too), without it defaulting to washington DC, and with much faster acquisition time.

I'm considering taking it back to him and saying that I'm concerned about the LACK OF defaulting to Washington, DC......since after all, YOU SAID IT WAS NORMAL!

So, let's see how long this nav behavior lasts. Until next time....

I feel your pain. I went through many of the same issues but I haven't had a problem in a while. My question to you is, "Would you buy another SRX?" Just curious.

Huey Driver
01-27-12, 08:00 PM
Avenger, I haven't got the same problem, and haven't been to the dealer as often (only once, actually) but thought I would post what I am going to do in a similar case (I hope I haven't already posted this).

I took my '12 in a couple months after purchase because about 25% of the time, when I have the 'easy exit' seating turned on, the seat returned to a goofy spot when I got back in (all the way forward, outside mirrors pointed at the ground). Their resolution was 'cannot fix, disabled easy exit'. Of course, I turned it back on, I can live with using the memory button on the occasional times it happens.

But, the next time I take it in, I will report the same problem. EXCEPT, that this time, before I go to the service writer, I am going to stop by the salesmans office (who sold me the car) and just let the service writer explain to HIM why the gadgets he is pumping on the showroom floor are being deactivated back in service.

I can live with things that arent like I wish, if they were only wish lists of new capabilities. I cant complain that I dont have HID lights, when the car I bought clearly didnt have them! But when the salesman uses something to sell the car to me, or its a capability that was DESIGNED into it, I expect it to work. And if not, then I have a problem with the salesman AS WELL AS the service writer.

After every visit to the dealer, I get a call from customer service. She always says "If there is ANYTHING that will prevent you from giving us a perfect response on your survey (if you get one), please call immediately". I realize there are some things they cant do. They cant change the color, cant give me a supercharged V8, but they can fix things they way they are supposed to be.

Best of luck on your radio. Try dumping the problem on sales and at least see what the answer is... I dont even know that it will work.

Avenger9
01-27-12, 10:38 PM
Funny you mention that, we actually did pull our salesman into the mix early on. Basically, we're like "listen, service isn't getting done - get on it... if you want future customers." And he did help us to get things "escalated" - unfortunately, he recently passed away unexpectedly. However, we happen to know the owners of the dealer and with the recent flub of returning our car with 2 of the 4 problems it came in with - I threw out their name and how they are friends of ours. That got their attention :)

scurling
02-02-12, 01:04 PM
I had similar Navigation/stereo issues with a few other quirky issues. The dealer (Moore) reflashed/reprogrammed the system and it was good for a while, but eventually came back. They finally replaced the entire system. My wife drives the vehicle daily. I'll check with her, but I think the system has been fine since the replacement was installed.

stevec5375
03-06-12, 08:17 PM
Here we go again. I took my SRX in for an oil change, tire rotation, and state inspection. While I was at it, I decided to ask them to update the software to U415 which is supposed to be the latest. Why or why or why did I ever dare to do that?!! I should be horse-whipped for asking for a software upgrade. As usual, now I've got problems again that they HAD ALREADY FIXED BEFORE.

My SRX is back to Washington, D.C. again in the Nav.
It won't remember the last favorite it was on in the Radio.
The Nav warning screen shows up every time you push the Nav button.

All of these problems where resolved and working beautifully with U413 and now I'm screwed again.

I can't wait to get rid of this POS vehicle. I will never buy another GM product.

sube5186
03-06-12, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up Steve. That's one update I won't be rushing to get.

It looks like we'll be dealing with software updates for the life of the vehicle, or at least until the next generation is released and they stop software development for this one. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Sube

stevec5375
03-08-12, 07:00 PM
I just got a call from the service manager at my dealership for my upcoming visit to straighten this mess out. He seemed absolutely puzzled by U415 would have broken things that were already fixed. He claims they have two "world class" GM techs at their dealership. He said they would do whatever it takes to straighten it out. I asked him why they don't check to see if previous problems reported by the customer and previously fixed are not regression tested to make sure nothing is broken. There was silence for a while until he finally admitted that they were trying to move as many cars through the service area as possible and just didn't have the time to do that. I told him that ultimately this type of thing would drive customers away and give the product a bad rap.

I'm expecting they'll not be able to fix my SRX tomorrow even though I'm dropping it off at 7:00AM. They'll want to keep it over the weekend. Of course, nobody works over the weekend so it will just sit there.

They joys of Cadillac ownership! :cookoo:

sube5186
03-08-12, 10:27 PM
I just got a call from the service manager at my dealership for my upcoming visit to straighten this mess out. He seemed absolutely puzzled by U415 would have broken things that were already fixed.

I don't necessarily think it's the update itself as much as the way it was installed. I remember way back shortly after I bought my car the service manager told me their computer system was outdated and that software updates took forever and weren't always reliable. The computers would disconnect mid-way during download/installation of software, causing a failure. Supposedly, those computers were replaced. But that was my dealership. What about all of the other Cadillac dealers? Who's to say which ones still use obsolete computers. Just imagine losing power in the middle of installing a Windows Service Pack. What also makes me think it was the installation is the fact that I'm assuming all 2012's already have U415. If that was the issue, I would think we'd be hearing about mass problems and U417 would already be out. Just some food for thought.

Sube

stevec5375
03-09-12, 06:57 PM
I don't necessarily think it's the update itself as much as the way it was installed. I remember way back shortly after I bought my car the service manager told me their computer system was outdated and that software updates took forever and weren't always reliable. The computers would disconnect mid-way during download/installation of software, causing a failure. Supposedly, those computers were replaced. But that was my dealership. What about all of the other Cadillac dealers? Who's to say which ones still use obsolete computers. Just imagine losing power in the middle of installing a Windows Service Pack. What also makes me think it was the installation is the fact that I'm assuming all 2012's already have U415. If that was the issue, I would think we'd be hearing about mass problems and U417 would already be out. Just some food for thought.

Sube

I got a call this afternoon to come pick up my car. They let me know it wasn't fixed yet because no matter what they did the software update would not "take". They even claimed they were on the phone with GM techs and that they finally decided the Nav/Radio unit was "logic locked". They have ordered a new Nav/Radio that should be here early next week.

This will the the 2nd Nav/Radio replacement since I bought the damned thing and I only have 12,800 miles on it.

I have absolutely no confidence in my dealership anymore. I talked to the service manager today and he was a nice enough guy. I explained to him what would happen in my industry if we put out software updates like they did--we'd be out of business.

My first and only Cadillac "experience" is not one I'm going to repeat.

Andy_TN
03-10-12, 04:46 PM
Sounds like we have taken similar paths. U415 was bad news on ours - so they replace the unit and it comes with 413 and all is good (so far).

Wait, tonight the clocks spring forward. This could be trouble.......again.....

I got a call this afternoon to come pick up my car. They let me know it wasn't fixed yet because no matter what they did the software update would not "take". They even claimed they were on the phone with GM techs and that they finally decided the Nav/Radio unit was "logic locked". They have ordered a new Nav/Radio that should be here early next week.

This will the the 2nd Nav/Radio replacement since I bought the damned thing and I only have 12,800 miles on it.

I have absolutely no confidence in my dealership anymore. I talked to the service manager today and he was a nice enough guy. I explained to him what would happen in my industry if we put out software updates like they did--we'd be out of business.

My first and only Cadillac "experience" is not one I'm going to repeat.

stevec5375
03-10-12, 04:57 PM
Sounds like we have taken similar paths. U415 was bad news on ours - so they replace the unit and it comes with 413 and all is good (so far).

Wait, tonight the clocks spring forward. This could be trouble.......again.....

Andy, I work in the software business and generally speaking, you always want to have the latest version installed because it supposedly fixes all known problems to date. But apparently that isn't true in the car world. I had no problems with U413 on my SRX and I had to go and ask for U415 because I just happened to be there for an oil change. Bad move on my part. From now on, I'm never asking for a software upgrade if everything is working. To me this whole thing is just crazy. I work on stock trading software and if we put out a bad version that causes a customer to lose money, WE PAY FOR THEIR LOSS. Needless to say, we are extremely careful and regression test the hell out of it. If a problem is found a day or two after we deploy a new release, we immediately revert back to the previous version until we can track down the problem. I have never seen such touchy software as what's in the SRX. If my next car (and it won't be GM) has these sorts of issues, I'll be back here in this forum to offer up a big apology to everyone who's had to listen to me go through these trials and tribulations.

Sorry to hear that your U415 upgrade was problematic too.

Andy_TN
03-10-12, 06:40 PM
You're right, it's absolutely crazy that software updates make things worse and that they need to replace HARDWARE in order to rectify software issues. It's as if navigation and clock operation are cutting edge technologies that just hit the market. Baffling!

sube5186
03-11-12, 10:41 AM
OK, I stand corrected. With more than one case, apparently it "is" the software itself, and not the installation. I'd just assumed any new software updates go through rigorous testing before being unleashed onto the public. Silly me for making such a logical assumption.

Sube

stevec5375
03-11-12, 10:52 AM
OK, I stand corrected. With more than one case, apparently it "is" the software itself, and not the installation. I'd just assumed any new software updates go through rigorous testing before being unleashed onto the public. Silly me for making such a logical assumption.

Sube

At my current employer that is certainly true, but then, there could be millions of $$ at stake. However, I have worked places where the testing was not even close to the level of scrutiny we put it through. Sometimes they just throw it over the wall to shut up a bunch of screaming customers only to find out they have a new bunch of screaming customers because the fix broke something different. That kind of software is too tightly coupled and not modular enough. When you have a bunch of side effects as the result of a change, the architecture of the software is bad or weak.

I am not saying this is the case here because without seeing the code and design documents, I would be guessing. But it has definitely made me gun shy of pulling the trigger on future updates.

sube5186
03-11-12, 12:18 PM
It has definitely made me gun shy of pulling the trigger on future updates.

You and me both. I would like to know how long GM spends testing these updates before implementation. Can anyone out there answer that question? GMJim perhaps?

Sube

stevec5375
03-12-12, 06:42 PM
You won't believe it! I have a self-healing SRX. I kid you not! I drove for about 30 minutes to the other end of town to visit a friend. When I came out from his house about 2 hours later. I started up the SRX and the Nav screen stayed in the down position (where I had last left it), the State still said Texas, the Nav did not give me that ugly warning screen, and my last selected radio station was still playing. I thought, nah, this has to be a fluke. Lo and behold I got up this morning and it was all still OK and even when I left work for home this afternoon it was OK.

I have no explanation for this except divine intervention. Really!!

I called my dealership and told my service adviser and he and his manager were as mystified as I am. They said they were going to "sit" on the new Nav/Radio for a month just in case my situation reverts.

sube5186
03-12-12, 10:39 PM
Bizarre!!! Oh well, maybe your car was tired of running back and forth to the dealer and decided to fix itself. ;)

Sube

stevec5375
04-14-12, 07:12 PM
You won't believe it! I have a self-healing SRX. I kid you not! I drove for about 30 minutes to the other end of town to visit a friend. When I came out from his house about 2 hours later. I started up the SRX and the Nav screen stayed in the down position (where I had last left it), the State still said Texas, the Nav did not give me that ugly warning screen, and my last selected radio station was still playing. I thought, nah, this has to be a fluke. Lo and behold I got up this morning and it was all still OK and even when I left work for home this afternoon it was OK.

I have no explanation for this except divine intervention. Really!!

I called my dealership and told my service adviser and he and his manager were as mystified as I am. They said they were going to "sit" on the new Nav/Radio for a month just in case my situation reverts.

I guess my self-healing SRX has had a relapse. The Nav has managed to reset the State to Washington D.C., AGAIN! It was doing so well by hanging on to Texas for weeks after the U415 software upgrade. But, I'm tired of fighting this battle. I am not making another trip to the dealership to get YANU (Yet Another Navigation Unit) since I'm already on my 2nd (or is it 3rd). As little as I use the Nav, I'll just type in the state every time and be done with it. I'm can't wait to hear how the new CUE performs. I won't be buying a car with it but I'll sure be interested in following its release.

poolandgolf
04-14-12, 10:20 PM
I guess my self-healing SRX has had a relapse. The Nav has managed to reset the State to Washington D.C., AGAIN! It was doing so well by hanging on to Texas for weeks after the U415 software upgrade. But, I'm tired of fighting this battle. I am not making another trip to the dealership to get YANU (Yet Another Navigation Unit) since I'm already on my 2nd (or is it 3rd). As little as I use the Nav, I'll just type in the state every time and be done with it. I'm can't wait to hear how the new CUE performs. I won't be buying a car with it but I'll sure be interested in following its release.

Well, yesterday was Friday the 13th you know. What you are experiencing is truly bizzare.

Kaptain Spaulding
04-15-12, 01:28 AM
I had same issue. Had navigation software version updated from 3.xx to 4.11 (?) and have had no issues since.

Turbo Dude
04-17-12, 11:57 PM
New to the SRX forum and just purchased 2010 Premium Turbo last week. Love the car, but it has the clock/radio station issue. Nav unit seems to be working fine. Clock disappears from screen after shutting off the car and restarting. After restart iPod is playing, not the FM station I last listened to.

Kaptain... the software updated worked? Good to hear. Maybe I will try that avenue with the dealer. I purchased CPO so no real worries about the "fix"

Would appreciate others suggestions. Mike

Rolex
04-20-12, 02:38 PM
New to the SRX forum and just purchased 2010 Premium Turbo last week. Love the car, but it has the clock/radio station issue. Nav unit seems to be working fine. Clock disappears from screen after shutting off the car and restarting. After restart iPod is playing, not the FM station I last listened to.

Kaptain... the software updated worked? Good to hear. Maybe I will try that avenue with the dealer. I purchased CPO so no real worries about the "fix"

Would appreciate others suggestions. Mike

My wife's SRX does the exact same thing. It's glitchy for sure. I've been following this thread waiting for someone to say "there's a hard and fast fix" for all the glitches. But after reading about people getting one new nav head unit + one software upgrade after another, I think I'll just continue to wait and see.

I never thought I'd have any use for the little analog clock Cadillac puts in their vehicles, but in this case it's the only way to tell time. :peeking:

Turbo Dude
04-20-12, 05:26 PM
Same here. Just hoping the Kaptain chimes back in.

redvett94
04-21-12, 12:22 AM
Best advice is to NOT get the Navigation system. Garmin and other systems are much more reliable and cheaper.

Rolex
04-24-12, 09:00 AM
Best advice is to NOT get the Navigation system. Garmin and other systems are much more reliable and cheaper.

For some time I have been of the opinion that factory navigation units are the biggest ripoffs. You pay 2k for a factory nav, and it's been my experience that many of the factory navs aren't user friendly. My least favorite feature is that you have to come to a complete stop in order to utilize most direction functions. So if you're in an undesirable area and your lost you'd have to stop to put in an address. Top that off the with disc upgrades for $200 a piece and there you have it.

The top of the line Garmin can be owned for $400, moved from one vehicle to the next, and comes with lifetime free upgrades. Seems like a no brainer.

But none of that is germane to this discussion. We're all waiting on a fix to the glitchy software. As a side note I have also noticed that after I turn off the radio when I'm driving, it turns itself back on when I restart the vehicle. The wife's memory seats that are programmed with the different remotes also don't automatically move into their respective positions. All are minor annoyances (for me) in an otherwise good luxury vehicle.

I've always heard "old timers" say that the more electronic goodies you put on something, the more likely it is that small stuff will go wrong. I suppose that's true....at least in the case of the Cadillac SRX. :)

Turbo Dude
04-24-12, 06:59 PM
Fingers crossed for a software update instead a unit replacement. Besides that, two weeks of ownership and loving my new to me SRX.

JohnP007
05-02-12, 12:33 AM
I'Ve read on here about SRX's getting updates and then getting the issue were the nav keeps coming up that it's in Washington but I have not gotten an update and my truck was fine now out of the blue I keep getting the warning screen and wrong location!

JohnP007
05-03-12, 03:13 PM
I have Application version U306 database version V20.09.03. So I'm way off? If they do update me will I get any new options or major improvements (besides living in Washington!)

Turbo Dude
05-04-12, 11:18 AM
Sure would like to hear some more input on the software updates myself.

I have printed the PIT4998B report for future use at the dealership, but would rather not have to opt for the unit replacement if such a "cure" update does exist.

JohnP007
05-05-12, 12:10 PM
Ok just dropped off my SRX for update 413 was nervous because of course yesterday it went back to my real state so I was worried the service department wasn't going to do it. Quick question the guy in service said this update also updates the nav disk is this true? I'll have newest maps?

stevec5375
05-06-12, 11:24 AM
Ok just dropped off my SRX for update 413 was nervous because of course yesterday it went back to my real state so I was worried the service department wasn't going to do it. Quick question the guy in service said this update also updates the nav disk is this true? I'll have newest maps?

I have update U415 on my SRX. It does not update the maps. You have to purchase a new maps DVD to do that. Please check out the sticky thread #2 at the top of the forum. It tells you how to Google search on this forum and you can quickly find the answers to your questions. Most everything has been covered on here a lot. Good luck.

Turbo Dude
05-06-12, 11:32 AM
I have update U415 on my SRX. It does not update the maps. You have to purchase a new maps DVD to do that. Please check out the sticky thread #2 at the top of the forum. It tells you how to Google search on this forum and you can quickly find the answers to your questions. Most everything has been covered on here a lot. Good luck.

Steve... Has the U415 update fixed your problems? My main aggravations are the radio not staying on previous station, and not digital clock display after car is turned off. If it does in fact work when I go in for my next service I'm going to have them do it.

JohnP007
05-06-12, 11:35 AM
I understand that but the service guy was insisting that they were updating my maps I was like "I thought update was only for computer?" and he said no maps & everything! I was not going to argue the issue lol so that's y I went right to forum. Hope everything is ok because I dropped it off yesterday around 10:30am and they still have it day later.

stevec5375
05-06-12, 01:11 PM
Steve... Has the U415 update fixed your problems? My main aggravations are the radio not staying on previous station, and not digital clock display after car is turned off. If it does in fact work when I go in for my next service I'm going to have them do it.

U415 has fixed everything that was problematic for me. I did not have the digital clock display issue. Here are the things I did have:

1. Nav: State was not being remembered always reverted back to Washington, D.C. Fixed.
2. Nav: Every time I started the Nav, I would get the initial warning screen. Fixed.
3. Radio: Would not remember the last item selected after the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) period had expired and always defaulted to Favorite 1 when restarting. Fixed.

I have had my Nav/Radio unit replaced at least once. So even if you get the software update, if you have an older, faulty Nav/Radio, it may not fix it in which case you would require the unit to be replaced.

----------

I understand that but the service guy was insisting that they were updating my maps I was like "I thought update was only for computer?" and he said no maps & everything! I was not going to argue the issue lol so that's y I went right to forum. Hope everything is ok because I dropped it off yesterday around 10:30am and they still have it day later.

Software updates to the Nav/Radio do not update the maps. As I said, that is a separate DVD. Perhaps the dealer is doing you a "favor" and updating your Nav for free. Normally, map updates require a separate DVD which the customer must purchase. http://www.gmnavdisc.com/buy-a-disc.asp?lang=en

Turbo Dude
05-07-12, 08:14 AM
U415 has fixed everything that was problematic for me. I did not have the digital clock display issue. Here are the things I did have:

1. Nav: State was not being remembered always reverted back to Washington, D.C. Fixed.
2. Nav: Every time I started the Nav, I would get the initial warning screen. Fixed.
3. Radio: Would not remember the last item selected after the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) period had expired and always defaulted to Favorite 1 when restarting. Fixed.

I have had my Nav/Radio unit replaced at least once. So even if you get the software update, if you have an older, faulty Nav/Radio, it may not fix it in which case you would require the unit to be replaced.

----------

Software updates to the Nav/Radio do not update the maps. As I said, that is a separate DVD. Perhaps the dealer is doing you a "favor" and updating your Nav for free. Normally, map updates require a separate DVD which the customer must purchase. http://www.gmnavdisc.com/buy-a-disc.asp?lang=en

Thanks Steve

sube5186
05-07-12, 01:08 PM
Steve,

Did anyone ever tell you what was the difference between U413 and U415? I have U413. Because I have absolutely no problems, I have no plans on updating. Just curious about what changes were made.

Sube

stevec5375
05-08-12, 06:31 PM
Steve,

Did anyone ever tell you what was the difference between U413 and U415? I have U413. Because I have absolutely no problems, I have no plans on updating. Just curious about what changes were made.

Sube

Sube,

I have no idea what the difference is. I had U413 previous to the upgrade and all was working fine for me too.

stevec5375
07-21-12, 07:07 PM

----------

I hate to resurrect this old thread but it looks like things have gone awry once more. Everything that update U415 fixed is now broken again.

1. Nav is back to Washington D.C. all the time.
2. Nav gives warning screen every single time I start it.
3. Radio won't remember last station selected after RAP expires.

Taking the SRX in on Monday. I wonder if the 2012 model is as problematic in this regard as my 2010 has been?

I will definitely be dumping this car before the warranty runs out.

allgm
07-22-12, 11:26 AM
Can't say that I don't agree with you. Had radio replaced two times early on same issue. It is a hassle to reprogram the radio and deal with XM. They said I was in a Buick not a SRX. I had the weather & traffic for a week then it went away. XM said radio was not set up to receive it. About a dozen calls I gave up .
Trouble seems to be 2010 and early 2011's. I am waiting for the model yr 2014. 2013 sounds like a unlucky number to me. Keep us posted .

stevec5375
07-22-12, 08:43 PM
Can't say that I don't agree with you. Had radio replaced two times early on same issue. It is a hassle to reprogram the radio and deal with XM. They said I was in a Buick not a SRX. I had the weather & traffic for a week then it went away. XM said radio was not set up to receive it. About a dozen calls I gave up .
Trouble seems to be 2010 and early 2011's. I am waiting for the model yr 2014. 2013 sounds like a unlucky number to me. Keep us posted .

I know what you mean about XM. I had the same problem as well. I'm through with Cadillac after this SRX. I will be very surprised if the 2013 CUE system is not full of bugs and I sure won't be the one finding and reporting them. I hope those who buy it don't go through what I've been through with the 2010. I've only got 16K miles on this thing and the Radio/Nav is definitely the weakest link. This is the first American car I've had in a long time and I have learned a valuable lesson. Yep, 2013 is an UNLUCKY number.

TheCaptain
07-23-12, 02:53 PM
It's bad luck to be superstitious guys. :D

allgm
07-24-12, 04:35 PM
It's bad luck to be superstitious guys. :D Captian stop by my office 13th floor room 666

kklein50
08-15-12, 08:21 PM
Thanks for this very valuable information!!! I own a 2010 SRX and have struggled with the very same issues your daughter had. I got used to the
time,the Washington D.C default and even NAV warning "OK" button for accepting the risk of using a NAV Screen....but what I really could not
accept was when the digital temperature completely left the screen and now the clock is 7 hours off! I have asked them the last 3 times it was in
for service about the other issues and all they did was say they talked to tech and couldn't fix it. Today with the temperature thing, they tried to
download the newest software from XM but that didn't work. Now I will have to take it back next week when they have a loaner for me to use. This
is getting ridiculous for a purchased price of $50,000!!!!
But you did say the software fix from a flash drive worked? I stil think I will try and push for a new unit, then try the flash drive.

stevec5375
08-15-12, 10:05 PM
Thanks for this very valuable information!!! I own a 2010 SRX and have struggled with the very same issues your daughter had. I got used to the
time,the Washington D.C default and even NAV warning "OK" button for accepting the risk of using a NAV Screen....but what I really could not
accept was when the digital temperature completely left the screen and now the clock is 7 hours off! I have asked them the last 3 times it was in
for service about the other issues and all they did was say they talked to tech and couldn't fix it. Today with the temperature thing, they tried to
download the newest software from XM but that didn't work. Now I will have to take it back next week when they have a loaner for me to use. This
is getting ridiculous for a purchased price of $50,000!!!!
But you did say the software fix from a flash drive worked? I stil think I will try and push for a new unit, then try the flash drive.

You need to have the Radio/Nav unit replaced. I am on my 2nd one and I had the same issues as you. No amount of software updates will fix it if it won't retain the settings.

gary2381
08-18-12, 04:11 PM
My issue is the digital clock on the NAV screen moves forward 6 hours when the vehicle is powered off. Everything else works fine. Anyone seen this before?

BlGHUMMER
09-02-12, 12:49 AM
Hi everybody. Sorry to bump this thread. My 2011 SRX has had this navigation problem for the past few months. All similar problems that you guys have mentioned previously in this entire thread; the black warning screen with the OK prompt, the clock is an hour off, Washington DC as the location and a AM radio station is on every time the car starts. I finally was able to bring the SRX back to the dealer this past Tuesday to get this checked out.

They really did not have any idea and tried to explain to me that this was normal and began looking through the navigation manual. To explain that this was not normal, I had asked him to set the clock for me, shut off the car, and then come back in 15 minutes to see that something is wrong with it. Sure enough 15 minutes later the clock is an hour off, Washington DC, AM radio station etc.

They said they never seen this before, and will look into it. I tried to tell them about the forum and how it is a known problem but he did not want to hear about a forum. They have had the car since Tuesday. I had called them on Friday and they are still looking into it. Today the loaner car (STS) stalled out 3 times and luckily was able to get home. Dealership is closed until Tuesday.

What I would like to know;

- Is there a code I can tell the tech so that he can look it up on the computer and see that this is a problem? and what exactly needs to be done to resolve this issue?

- or maybe if someone on here who has had this problem fixed, would it be possible to get the name and number of the tech who has fixed this problem before so I can have them contact each other to explain what needs to be done?

I apologize for the long post. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a great labor day weekend everybody. Thanks again.

stevec5375
09-02-12, 09:31 AM
Hi everybody. Sorry to bump this thread. My 2011 SRX has had this navigation problem for the past few months. All similar problems that you guys have mentioned previously in this entire thread; the black warning screen with the OK prompt, the clock is an hour off, Washington DC as the location and a AM radio station is on every time the car starts. I finally was able to bring the SRX back to the dealer this past Tuesday to get this checked out.

They really did not have any idea and tried to explain to me that this was normal and began looking through the navigation manual. To explain that this was not normal, I had asked him to set the clock for me, shut off the car, and then come back in 15 minutes to see that something is wrong with it. Sure enough 15 minutes later the clock is an hour off, Washington DC, AM radio station etc.

They said they never seen this before, and will look into it. I tried to tell them about the forum and how it is a known problem but he did not want to hear about a forum. They have had the car since Tuesday. I had called them on Friday and they are still looking into it. Today the loaner car (STS) stalled out 3 times and luckily was able to get home. Dealership is closed until Tuesday.

What I would like to know;

- Is there a code I can tell the tech so that he can look it up on the computer and see that this is a problem? and what exactly needs to be done to resolve this issue?

- or maybe if someone on here who has had this problem fixed, would it be possible to get the name and number of the tech who has fixed this problem before so I can have them contact each other to explain what needs to be done?

I apologize for the long post. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a great labor day weekend everybody. Thanks again.

If they have never heard of these problems before, you are either being lied to, they haven't worked on many 2010 SRXs, or people don't know their SRX should not behave in this manner. You need software update U415 which is what I have. If there is a later one, I don't know about it. My dealership is Covert Cadillac in Austin, TX and David Pearson is my service advisor. Perhaps he can put you in touch with someone competent since they have fixed all my issues.

You will need to have your Nav/Radio unit replaced before the U415 software update is applied. I've had to have mine replaced 2 times!

By the way, who is your dealership because I want to make sure I never do business with such incompetents.

BlGHUMMER
09-02-12, 03:55 PM
stevec5375

Thank you so much for your quick response. I appreciate your help. I am going to pass this information along to my dealership and hopefully they can resolve the issue, order the part and get me back in the SRX. Thanks again for your help.

Turbo Dude
09-04-12, 12:03 PM
I have the U415 update back in May on my 2010 and haven't had any issues since. No replacement unit.

Jake2010
09-05-12, 08:54 AM
I have the U415 update back in May on my 2010 and haven't had any issues since. No replacement unit.

Same Here... No unit, just software update.

Huntsmiester
09-07-12, 04:36 PM
Hi
I am having thge same problem and I am glad i found the solution to get my firmware updated to U415 BUT my question I found my Firmware version but the map data version is 20.09.03? how does that equate in to the GM Navdisk part number?
Any help would be appreciated.

gary2381
09-10-12, 02:10 PM
I took mine into the dealership and they said that reprogramming the radio was too much work and would likely not fix the issue. They put a new radio in which did resolve the issue of my clock advancing forward six hours. However, my timeshift feature on the radio quit working. I took it back again and they had it for two days. The service manager called me and said that GM has declared the 2010 radios bad and that they put a 2011 radio in. I picked it up and everything seems to work fine.

stevec5375
09-10-12, 03:59 PM
I took mine into the dealership and they said that reprogramming the radio was too much work and would likely not fix the issue. They put a new radio in which did resolve the issue of my clock advancing forward six hours. However, my timeshift feature on the radio quit working. I took it back again and they had it for two days. The service manager called me and said that GM has declared the 2010 radios bad and that they put a 2011 radio in. I picked it up and everything seems to work fine.

It only took GM 2 years to admit that the 2010 radios are bad? LMAO!! I've already had two replacements! Now perhaps you can understand why I won't be rushing out to buy the first CUE that comes out. Good grief!

300:29:1
09-10-12, 07:39 PM
It only took GM 2 years to admit that the 2010 radios are bad? LMAO!! I've already had two replacements! Now perhaps you can understand why I won't be rushing out to buy the first CUE that comes out. Good grief!

Anyone who buys a car with CUE right away is taking a big chance imo. Some people don't mind though.

rmullin
09-12-12, 02:19 PM
I have a 2010 SRX and it has the exact same issue.

TheCaptain
09-13-12, 10:30 PM
I got to check out CUE in an XTS today. WOW is it fluid, awesome, and it works sweetly!

sube5186
09-13-12, 10:53 PM
I'd be willing to bet the 2011 radio is exactly the same as the 2010. The only difference is the 2011 comes with a newer software version preinstalled. The fact that some dealers are saying the "radio itself" is bad and installing a 2011 radio to fix the issue, goes to show just how little they know about their own vehicles.

Sube

stevec5375
09-14-12, 10:18 PM
I'd be willing to bet the 2011 radio is exactly the same as the 2010. The only difference is the 2011 comes with a newer software version preinstalled. The fact that some dealers are saying the "radio itself" is bad and installing a 2011 radio to fix the issue, goes to show just how little they know about their own vehicles.

Sube

Sube,

I agree with you. Some dealers are freaked out at the notion of having to upgrade firmware in the car systems. So instead, they just replace the hardware. Is it any wonder why prices on things keep skyrocketing?

sube5186
09-14-12, 11:21 PM
Sube,

I agree with you. Some dealers are freaked out at the notion of having to upgrade firmware in the car systems. So instead, they just replace the hardware. Is it any wonder why prices on things keep skyrocketing?

Steve,

Wasn't it you who said they replaced your radio and didn't even update it to the newest firmware? I know somebody said that. I can't remember if it was you or not. Either way, seems like some of these service depts. are clueless.

Sube

stevec5375
09-15-12, 09:11 AM
Steve,

Wasn't it you who said they replaced your radio and didn't even update it to the newest firmware? I know somebody said that. I can't remember if it was you or not. Either way, seems like some of these service depts. are clueless.

Sube

Sube,

Yes, I had an incident where the first time they replaced my Nav/Radio, they didn't bother to check to see what firmware version it had. Needless to say, I was back at the dealership again getting the "new" Nav/Radio's firmware upgraded. That's like going to a computer store and buying a new machine and getting home with it only to find that you have an old version of Windows (or Mac OS) on it. How difficult can it be to install the new Nav/Radio and check the installed firmware version and upgrade it as necessary?

Steve

etexlady
03-09-13, 11:29 PM
I have a 2011 Luxury SRX. Just a few days ago I tried to enter a destination in the nav and noticed the state indicated I was in Washington DC. I had to change it to my actual location and the nav worked fine from there on. However, the problem has persisted. I don't really want to search all the threads here for an answer but seems I recall the dealership had to update the software, right? I now have two problems for the dealer to take care of. My other problem is the driver door does not lock when the transmission shifts to "drive". All the other doors lock automatically but not the driver's door. I've got less than a year remaining on my lease and this is the first problems I've had with the car.

Uncle_Buck
03-10-13, 11:38 AM
I just had mine in for the Nav issue. Dealer told me they tried to update the software but it showed it was already updated. So they installed a new unit. It had to be ordered but it only took a couple of days to get it.

davedogcaddy
03-10-13, 03:56 PM
yup, they will want to update the software. This probably won't fix it (even if you need the update). They will have to replace the radio. Just had mine done a few weeks ago. You are probably having some other issues with the radio 'forgetting' various settings....

stevec5375
03-11-13, 10:19 AM
Get ready for a total fiasco. I've had my Nav/Radio unit replaced TWICE over these issues and my 2010 SRX only has 21K miles on it. I'm out of warranty come Jan 2014 and I plan on being out of this car by then too. I would love to see a dollar figure that I would have paid out of pocket for all the warranty repairs I've had done on this vehicle. Just last week I was in for the trim around the mirror falling off. That was the 3rd time I had to have that fixed even though I was told the last time that the fix was a total redesign of the part. Yeah right! I'd redesign that engineer's job into a pink slip.

I can clearly see why Consumer Reports rates this car's "predicted reliability" as fair/poor.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-11-13, 03:21 PM
Etexlady, I'm sorry to hear about your concerns and would like you to know I'm available if you want me to investigate further on your behalf or contact your dealer at any point. Please feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and I can always investigate your next steps with you.

Stevec, are you still experiencing concerns after your frustration last week? If you would like me to document your feedback or research concerns on your behalf, don't hesitate to email me at the email address above.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

etexlady
03-11-13, 03:30 PM
Thanks, Katie. Unlike Stevec, I have had a very good experience with my SRX. The only warranty service I have had up until now, other than the recalls, was for a humidity filter replacement (?) that was keeping my AC from cooling properly. My lease is up in less than a year and I expect to replace my current SRX with another when the time comes.

stevec5375
03-11-13, 08:58 PM
Captain,

Why don't you close this thread while your at it? It's a dupe too!

TheCaptain
03-12-13, 08:19 AM
Merged!

carybrent
06-24-13, 06:32 PM
Just got the car a few weeks ago. Radio comes on when I start the car whethere I want it on or not.. Tried everything(turned auto volume off; turned off the radio while engine running; turned off the radio when the engine was off). Got out of car and got back in; turned on the engine and the radio comes on. Also digital clock will not stay on correct time. Set it per manual (NAV model) and its fine. Turn off engine and come back later and clock is several hours off. I heard per this forum that a software update might work. Haven't contacted the dealer yet.

TheCaptain
06-24-13, 09:07 PM
This is a known issue (by user's anyway) and warrants a unit replacement in order to fix the radio. The dealer wants to update you a couple of times first, but it likely won't fix the issue.

davedogcaddy
06-25-13, 08:05 AM
my suggestion if they want to try the software upgrade 1st is to schedule an appointment to have it done while-you-wait (takes about an hour), then try it in the parking lot (you'll need to shut off/lock the car, leave it for at least 15 mins, then see if it lost the settings). This way *when* the software fix doesn't work you won't have to drive back out to the dealership. Insist on the radio replacement. It's really the only way.

While I have also had my radio replaced, as well as some other minor items, overall I am very pleased with my 2010 SRX. Once these bugs were worked out it is a very enjoyable vehicle.

stevec5375
06-25-13, 10:15 AM
my suggestion if they want to try the software upgrade 1st is to schedule an appointment to have it done while-you-wait (takes about an hour), then try it in the parking lot (you'll need to shut off/lock the car, leave it for at least 15 mins, then see if it lost the settings). This way *when* the software fix doesn't work you won't have to drive back out to the dealership. Insist on the radio replacement. It's really the only way.

While I have also had my radio replaced, as well as some other minor items, overall I am very pleased with my 2010 SRX. Once these bugs were worked out it is a very enjoyable vehicle.

Replacement is the only way. I had to have my Nav/Radio replace TWICE before they got it right. Often what happens is they upgrade the firmware in the Nav/Radio but for whatever reason the flashing procedure doesn't work or it isn't stored. Then after the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) of 15 minutes passes, the Nav/Radio reverts. One thing to be aware of is that even if they replace the Nav/Radio they still need to flash it with the latest firmware if it doesn't already have it.

davedogcaddy
06-25-13, 10:35 AM
yes, this is a good point about making sure the new radio has the latest firmware, the great thing is YOU can check their work on this via the menus on the radio! The first time they 'did the update' they actually hadn't...still had the old firmware on it. They swore they ran all the updates, but I had to sit down with their tech and show him the TSB (even tough I TRIED to get them to look at the TSB to start with "oh we don't need to look at that"). Then the tech was like "Oh, it's a USB update!" :thepan:

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-25-13, 04:51 PM
Just got the car a few weeks ago. Radio comes on when I start the car whethere I want it on or not.. Tried everything(turned auto volume off; turned off the radio while engine running; turned off the radio when the engine was off). Got out of car and got back in; turned on the engine and the radio comes on. Also digital clock will not stay on correct time. Set it per manual (NAV model) and its fine. Turn off engine and come back later and clock is several hours off. I heard per this forum that a software update might work. Haven't contacted the dealer yet.

Hello carybrent,

I understand how these issues can be annoying when dealing with your vehicle. I see you are willing to work with a dealership towards a possible resolution. Other members have offered great advice on the situation. Please let me know if you decide to take it into a dealership. I would like to stay involved throughout the process. I can also be reached via private message so we can continue our interaction that way.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer service

----------

Hello davedogcaddy,

Thanks for sharing this information with the community. I am happy to hear you are pleased with your 2010 SRX after bugs were worked out. You should definitely be able to enjoy your Cadillac :)

Laura M.

dcc8203
06-26-13, 10:14 AM
My wife just picked her 2012 SRX up from the dealer for her SECOND entire radio/nav system. I hope this fix is final but it does not inspire confidence in the long term reliability of the car. I shudder to think what this repair would cost out of warranty.

stevec5375
06-26-13, 10:19 AM
My wife just picked her 2012 SRX up from the dealer for her SECOND entire radio/nav system. I hope this fix is final but it does not inspire confidence in the long term reliability of the car. I shudder to think what this repair would cost out of warranty.

Keep an eye on your headlight assemblies. If they fog up or get condensation inside them, get it replaced. I had one do this and it ended up they found water standing in it. The service adviser told me that it would have cost $1,000 to replace if it had not been under warranty.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-26-13, 12:54 PM

Hello dcc8203,

I understand how fixing something for a second time can be frustrating. I wish the best for the proper function of the radio/navigation system for your wife. If you have any other concerns or questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Laura M.

davedogcaddy
06-28-13, 08:56 AM

My service advisor told me the 1st few SRXs they did this came back for a 2nd radio replacement, but 'they' (GM?) have since found a new suppler and hadn't had any of those replacement radios fail. The one they put in my SRX is still doing fine. Not sure if there is any truth to this.

etexlady
06-30-13, 11:23 PM
I have not had my problem radio/nav system looked at yet. I suppose if they have to put in a whole new system I'll have to re-enter everything on the HDD. I have seven months left on the lease so I guess I better get it fixed.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-01-13, 05:14 PM
I have not had my problem radio/nav system looked at yet. I suppose if they have to put in a whole new system I'll have to re-enter everything on the HDD. I have seven months left on the lease so I guess I better get it fixed.

Hello etexlady,

Are you experiencing current issues with your radio/nav system and thinking about taking your vehicle into a dealership? I am more than happy to stay involved throughout this process if you are experiencing issues. I can be reached via private message so we can continue our interaction and further discuss anything you would like.

Laura M.

westham
08-13-13, 04:45 PM

I just had my radio replaced and yes I lost all of the music in the HDD. If you have it fixed they will try a software update first, this normally holds for a couple of hours, I understand the dealer has been informed by the factory to try the updates and then turn the vehilce off and let it sit for over 3 hours, after this if it defaults to Washington DC and the digital clock does not keep current time and the radio comes back on after you turn it off manually before switching the vehicle off it's time for you to get a new radio unit, this of course they will have to order so it will be another visit unless you get lucky and get given a loaner.

Robert J
10-13-13, 09:15 PM
Hi I have a 2010 SRX with the Nav. system But it always defaults to Washington DC and the HDD will not remember witch album I was on when I restart my car. Has there been a recall on these systems?

allgm
10-14-13, 09:53 AM
Very common problem on early SRX. You need a new radio to fix this problem. Do a search for Washington DC Default. .
Hi I have a 2010 SRX with the Nav. system But it always defaults to Washington DC and the HDD will not remember witch album I was on when I restart my car. Has there been a recall on these systems?

westham
10-14-13, 11:04 AM
Same thing happened to my 2010 SRX and to many more also, it seems to be a common fault, take it to the dealer, they will try and update the software and when that fails they will put a new unit it your vehicle under warrenty so long as it has not expired. Best of luck.

TheCaptain
10-14-13, 11:19 AM
Robert this is a well known issue on the '10 and '11 SRX's. A quick search brings up many threads, the most helpful being this one (I will merge this one into).
Please search a topic before starting a new post.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-14-13, 08:09 PM

Hello Robert J,

I apologize for the navigation malfunction you are experiencing. I recommend bringing your vehicle into your nearby Cadillac dealer for a vehicle diagnosis. I am more than happy to assist throughout this process. Please contact us via private message and include your contact information, VIN and current mileage. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

cheryl89
01-23-14, 10:29 PM
I am having the same issue with my Nav defauting to Washington.. is this covered under any warrenty?? or does the dealership do the upgrade for free to the U413??

westham
01-24-14, 02:31 PM
So long as your 2010 is under 50k miles and 48 months old you are golden take it to the dealer and get a new radio installed, if you are out of warranty go cry to the dealer and see what he can do, tell him how long you have been having the issue and see what the outcome is.
Best of luck

norman52
01-25-14, 03:13 PM
I have a 2010 Premium I bought used with 32,000 miles on it. I just noticed I have the clock reset issues (It just stays on eastern Time)
Navigation doesn't save favorites. Otherwise it works great. Firmware was 306 and I took it to Bellevue Cadillac to see if they could update it to Firmware 415. They said they scanned the radio and there is an internal short in it and the firmware update won't fix the problem. They said the only fix is a new radio at over $2,000 since I am 3 months past the 4 year warranty.
$2,000+ for a radio? I wish I would have bought the Lexus RX350 Vin 3GYFNFEY9AS503124

westham
01-26-14, 05:27 PM
I have a 2010 Premium I bought used with 32,000 miles on it. I just noticed I have the clock reset issues (It just stays on eastern Time)
Navigation doesn't save favorites. Otherwise it works great. Firmware was 306 and I took it to Bellevue Cadillac to see if they could update it to Firmware 415. They said they scanned the radio and there is an internal short in it and the firmware update won't fix the problem. They said the only fix is a new radio at over $2,000 since I am 3 months past the 4 year warranty.
$2,000+ for a radio? I wish I would have bought the Lexus RX350 Vin 3GYFNFEY9AS503124

Big Bummer, norman52 I feel your frustration and pain.

norman52
01-28-14, 03:08 PM
So after finding out it would be close to $2,000 to repair the radio since I am past the 4 years but still only 32,000 miles I am going to just take my losses and trade it in on a 2011 Lexus RX350. I lose $4,000 by trading it in but I gain the $2,000 by letting the next guy fix the radio. Lessons learned.

I also want to thank Cadillac Customer service for looking into this for me. The fact that they tried meant a lot. Unfortunately they were unable to come up with any kind of discount to help me out with what seems to be a common 2010 SRX problem. It was still nice that they were there at least offering to help.

norman52
01-30-14, 10:19 PM
Dougs Cadillac fixed it with a Firmware upgrade to 415. Works perfectly and only cost $152.31. everywhere else wanted to replace the radio.

Andy_TN
01-31-14, 11:19 AM
I honestly hope that is the final solution for you - but for those of us who have dealt with the issue before, a hardware replacement was the only solution (after trying software/firmware updates). Hang on to that receipt should things change in the future.

norman52
01-31-14, 01:11 PM
It is just a computer running a glorified program with a few push button dip switches. If the hard drive and memory and motherboard are okay then it is usually a corrupt software issue. bad hardware should make it crash and stop completely. No different than a laptop running windows that acts up and the first thing they want you to do is reinstall the software.
So far today it is still 100% Saves all favorites in navigation and radio. Defaults to my homes state and the digital clock is correct. I'll set up the phone later.

stevec5375
01-31-14, 08:02 PM
It is just a computer running a glorified program with a few push button dip switches. If the hard drive and memory and motherboard are okay then it is usually a corrupt software issue. bad hardware should make it crash and stop completely. No different than a laptop running windows that acts up and the first thing they want you to do is reinstall the software.
So far today it is still 100% Saves all favorites in navigation and radio. Defaults to my homes state and the digital clock is correct. I'll set up the phone later.

Good luck. It took two Nav/Radio replacements for mine to finally get fixed. Both of my "new" units worked fine for a time but it didn't stick. Clearly the hardware was flawed.

norman52
01-31-14, 09:22 PM
The service director told me they get paid $X to R&R a radio under warranty. No more no less. They order one in and they swap the radio out. They don't always arrive with Firmware 415 sometimes an earlier version.
Two hours to update the firmware but that has to be another warranty claim after the radio is replaced. Cadillac wants to see if the radio works before they authorize the firmware upgrade.
Most dealerships just keep swapping radios out until they find one that works.

stevec5375
02-01-14, 11:11 AM
The service director told me they get paid $X to R&R a radio under warranty. No more no less. They order one in and they swap the radio out. They don't always arrive with Firmware 415 sometimes an earlier version.
Two hours to update the firmware but that has to be another warranty claim after the radio is replaced. Cadillac wants to see if the radio works before they authorize the firmware upgrade.
Most dealerships just keep swapping radios out until they find one that works.

I'm sure these Nav/Radio units are supplied by a 3rd party. Boy, I sure would like to know who it is that made these. GM's rushing the SRX to market before it was truly "debugged" has probably cost them a lot of $$. I know it has cost them at least one customer, me. I won't be buying GM anymore after this first attempt on the 2010 SRX.

norman52
03-10-14, 06:57 PM
Well, 60 days and almost 3,000 miles later and the firmware upgrade is still going strong. Radio has been perfect. Somehow got a free trial of XM and that sucks. Too many hills and tall trees around here. It drops out off and on until I get a clear view of the sky. Back to FM.

Pioneer4x4
06-03-14, 09:13 PM
I just picked up a used 2010 SRX Turbo Premium. It still has a few miles left on the full warranty. What all do I need to do to check if mine is affected? I know it had Washington in it when I first played with it, but I assumed that was because it was reset to default.
Most importantly, how do I check my firmware version, and what is the current version that everyone gets upgraded to?

norman52
06-04-14, 09:01 AM
If I remember I believe you hit the config button and one of the screens there will tell you what version your radio is at. I upgraded to Firmware 415 and it solved my problem. this was after three dealerships told me that radio replacement was the only fix.

Pioneer4x4
06-04-14, 10:45 AM
Thanks, if everyone reported their version in posts it would help to understand more. I will check mine today.

westham
06-04-14, 02:14 PM
My 2010 had the same problems, the dealer did the software update first but it did not hold, then ordered a new radio unit and installed it some six months ago all has been fine since.
If anyone has a 2010 and is still within the 48 month 50k mile warranty and has never had the problem (or does not know of it) get it to the dealer pronto and have it checked out, otherwise it may well cost quite a bit to fix.

Zacvon
07-07-14, 09:23 PM
If GM knows this is a flaw, why should I have to pay for it? Wrong, just wrong. I try to support the buy American brand, but to what length? I purchased a luxury Cadillac and the luxury has been back and forth to the dealership. Love the cars handling and comfort. Luxury, well it haven't quite come to that conclusion. Maybe I will try a different dealership regarding the software upgrade.

Nice Ride
07-07-14, 10:51 PM
2010 SRX under CPO, 76K. Purchased used, radio has all of the above listed issues, told dealer, they were about to order a new radio when the Service Manager said, no, just flash the firmware and it will fix it. Well got the car back and they informed me that they will need to order a new radio, waiting for it to come in. Oh, they killed my OnStar ( red light now on ). My dealer 8 out of 10 times breaks something else when doing repairs. Once radio is in, off to find another Service Dealer.

Rocky4052
07-27-14, 11:33 AM
I have application version U415 and database version V 20.09.03. Mine goes back to Washington D.C. also. When I select POI I have to change the location to Ma. Is there a special procedure to make Ma. the default? Looked in manual and didn't find it................ Also...does anyone know how old my database version is?? My salesman told me that the system updates itself from satellites for free which is not true from what I've read here and online elsewhere. (GM site)

allgm
07-27-14, 08:32 PM
You need a new radio unit common problem on 2010. You have to buy the updates from GM on a disc.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-31-14, 12:12 AM
I have application version U415 and database version V 20.09.03. Mine goes back to Washington D.C. also. When I select POI I have to change the location to Ma. Is there a special procedure to make Ma. the default? Looked in manual and didn't find it................ Also...does anyone know how old my database version is?? My salesman told me that the system updates itself from satellites for free which is not true from what I've read here and online elsewhere. (GM site)

Hi Rocky4052,

I’m sorry to hear that your navigation continuously defaults to Washington D.C. and I apologize for any inconvenience it has caused. Have you brought up this concern with your dealership? I would be happy to further discuss this issue if you would like to PM me your VIN, mileage, preferred dealership, and contact information.

Enjoy your evening,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

stevec5375
07-31-14, 08:45 PM
You need a new radio unit common problem on 2010. You have to buy the updates from GM on a disc.

Correct.

Just as I predicted. There are quite a few 2010 owners coming on here to lament their woes with the Radio/Nav unit. There are tons of people driving around in an SRX that are clueless about the problems it has that they should have had fixed under warranty. Now the 2nd owners get to bear the expensive FULL COST of the repairs.

Rocky4052
08-01-14, 11:36 AM
Well fortunately, my wife and I had bought a service/warranty agreement along with the vehicle which SHOULD cover that from what I read........It's called Premier Essential Vehicle Service Contract. Oh.....I also have the famous right headlight that is loaded with condensation that takes forever to dry out...then fills up again with the next rainstorm. And...............the missing chrome molding under the driver side mirror. (my salesman did happen to acquire one for us..just need to catch him there one day to get it.)

michaelestelle
09-05-14, 01:49 AM
I'm having the same Washington, D.C. Problem with my Nav. Will the dealership cover this with 76k miles on my 2010 srx or has anyone had to pay to get it fixed and what the cost would be?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Nice Ride
09-05-14, 11:23 AM
Read Post 2010 CPO.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-05-14, 12:00 PM
I'm having the same Washington, D.C. Problem with my Nav. Will the dealership cover this with 76k miles on my 2010 srx or has anyone had to pay to get it fixed and what the cost would be?

Hello michaelestelle,

I apologize you are having trouble with your navigation system settings. The dealership of the last owner I worked with that had this problem said that Washington D.C. is the default city for the system. If you are interested in taking it to the dealership to see what they can do to get your settings fixed please let me know. Iím happy to contact the dealership on your behalf.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

stevec5375
09-05-14, 07:22 PM

The warranty period is 50K miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. So I'd say you are out of warranty. The fix usually results in having to replace the entire Nav/Radio unit. Of course they will want to reflash the firmware first but ultimately it will require replacing the flawed unit. I had two of them replaced in my 2010 under warranty. I'm guessing it will cost you around $2K.

jeiler9865
09-06-14, 12:41 PM
The new bulletin issued recently only will allow radio replacement, the reprogram success rate on this was very low. Check your software version of your current radio to see what version you are running, U40D, or U413 as an example. Most dealers are will to give assistance on partial or fully covering these as long as you are willing to pay some portion. Just don't go in with guns blazing like some customers I have seen, they go down in flames :)

maeng9981
09-11-14, 11:53 AM
I got it reprogrammed in '12 then it worked fine until the car itself was replaced with a '14.

allgm
09-16-14, 01:47 PM
Used my nav today and it has gone back to Washington DC. I had two radio units replaced 3 years ago to correct it. Out of warranty now.
I only use it about twice a year so I will live with it. Still a bummer all the 2010 people go out to your garage and see if you have moved to Washington DC

Rocky4052
10-07-14, 01:26 PM
Well fortunately, my wife and I had bought a service/warranty agreement along with the vehicle which SHOULD cover that from what I read........It's called Premier Essential Vehicle Service Contract. Oh.....I also have the famous right headlight that is loaded with condensation that takes forever to dry out...then fills up again with the next rainstorm. And...............the missing chrome molding under the driver side mirror. (my salesman did happen to acquire one for us..just need to catch him there one day to get it.)

Finally received answer for Nav and headlight problem. The warranty does not cover headlight bulbs or assemblies, only headlight motors. They would not cover the nav system..could not "duplicate" problems. The service manager called GM and and came up with a reasonable offer for us. The radio/nav unit and headlight assembly both replaced at a cost of only $300 . We decided to go for it.

westham
10-08-14, 10:45 AM
I had my radio/nav replaced on my 2010 14 months ago (the week after I purchased the car) at 33500 milers and it is still working fine (fingers crossed) $300 to fix your problems sounds like a winner to me, I would have also accepted it.
All the best for future trouble free miles.

Rocky4052
10-08-14, 11:32 AM
That sounds good......We dropped the car off at the dealer last nite. It will be a refurbished unit.............the vehicle does have 65,000 miles on it. Bought it in April of this year. Hopefully all the "bugs" have been taken out of it and it will be fine.

Thanks to this great forum, I am learning a lot........... and probably would have believed it IF they had told me that the unit was working normally. Instead, I heard "Sounds like you have been doing some research!"

stacys mom's husband
10-10-14, 06:20 PM
Hello all,

New to the forum from Iowa. Purchased a 2011 with 27K miles. Thank you to all for this forum it has been very helpful. Under warranty still we were able to replace radio with similar issues as well as the sunroof drain. Thank you!

BobVVue
12-11-14, 09:53 AM
My Wife normally drives the SRX (which she really likes!) and she just informed me the radio keeps defaulting back to the wrong input. SO I found this thread and checked for Washington, DC. Sure enough. Plus she told me you can't put in stored addresses as it forgets those. And we didn't even know there was a clock there, as it resets and isn't displayed. Kind of makes a NAV system a pain when you can't even put your HOME as a point to be remembered.

It is a pretty early '11, so I'm sure it came with a bad radio/nav. We specially looked for a used car WITH Nav, so she could use it when I am gone for work. It also has water in 1 headlight and I'm not sure of the sunroof drain leaks, but afraid now for those. And the HVAC has the "click continous" problem in AUTO that needs a body computer flash also.

We recently purchased it with 70K, 4 yrs, 1 month old.

My problem is the first owner never had this taken care of under warrantee. All these have TSBs and could have been fixed easily. Because he never brought it to their attention, it isn't fixed. Kind of disappointed in HIS dealer, as the Carfax history showed all oil changes, tire rotations and minor work was done at his Cadillac dealer. I know know the radio wasn't a recall, but now am I stuck with a very crippled Nav system because of the mileage over 50K? I haven't asked dealer, but $2k to change the radio when it seems to really have come with this defect seems not very fair... Really wishing his dealer would have fixed.

Bob