: Question for cbloveday (or anyone 650+ rwhp application)

Luna.
09-29-10, 01:54 PM
On the street, how fast do you need to be going before you can mat the throttle and not suffer horrible wheelspin?

With ~675 rwhp, I'm guessing that you can't floor it in 1st gear all that often without significant tire spin, correct?

I recall a couple of Vette owners years ago chatting at A&A Corvette, with 650-750 rwhp applications, and one of them said that they couldn't floor it until something like 60+ MPH.

As such, I was curious as to your experience has been in that regard

Thanks

cbloveday
09-29-10, 02:58 PM
Luna,

On the ps2s, a 60 mph mat will give me a chirp as it downshifts in sport mode.

If I were to have a stickier tire like the bridgestones Re11 in 305, I suspect I could mat it at a slower speed without a bit of wheelspin.

In regard to flooring in 1st without traction control on, significant wheelspin cannot be avoided on
PS2s. I am not sure if this can be tuned out or modulated. I had heard of a drag tune that Jesse has that may limit the wheelspin, but I am not totally informed on how it works.

Honestly, I try not accelerate to much from 60 because it is a brief period before I am at felony speed.

I hope this helps.

Luna.
09-29-10, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Is it possible to mat the throttle in 2nd gear or do you most often have significant wheelspin in that gear as well?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm curious to what might be the max "useable" rwhp for the street would be in these Vs.

Say you had a car, for instance, that you couldn't mat the throttle until something insane, like 80+mph without the rear tires going up in smoke, yeah, I might say that's a tad too much for the street. :)

cbloveday
09-29-10, 05:45 PM
The drivability of my car is great.
My V is my daily driver. No reason to mat it a 60mph or 80mph unless i want a citation or to be arrested.
Therefore it is not too much power for the street.

I take it to the strip if I want to mat it.

Luna.
09-29-10, 10:02 PM
I wasn't attempting to form a conclusion about you or your car, I'm sure it drives great. When I said, "you" above, that was an in-general, "you," not you specifically. I was under the impression that when you floored the car from 60, it gave a small chirp as it downshifts into sport mode, so I didn't even consider that 80 MPH was an issue--that was for example purposes only.

Flooring it at 60 and giving a small chirp sounds pretty good to me; the car is seemingly getting traction at your HP level.

As such, I inquired about 2nd gear, as 60 mph is 3rd gear for autos.

The entire question is because I'm looking at increasing my car's HP, but I don't want to go too far for my personal preference. I'm not trying to take a shot at you or your car. This is for informational purposes only.

cbloveday
09-29-10, 10:14 PM
I see.
In second from a roll on 285 PS2s, matted you will have significant wheelspin.

Luna.
09-29-10, 10:32 PM
Dang. I have 305s on my car at the moment, but I'm very skeptical that they could handle 675 rwhp (in 2nd gear) on the street. I'm almost certain the answer is a resounding no. I've given up on 1st gear a long time ago. :)

Thanks for the feedback. Need to think about it more; not sure what HP level to shoot for at the moment

PremierJosh
09-29-10, 11:09 PM
Make the most power you can with out giving up any driveability then use your right foot to modulate the power. In my eyes you can not have to much power in reserve.

cbloveday
09-30-10, 03:42 AM
Make the most power you can with out giving up any driveability then use your right foot to modulate the power. In my eyes you can not have to much power in reserve.

My feelings as well.

johncurrancampbell
09-30-10, 01:30 PM
I saw the light after getting my build back and immediately went to 20" with 305 NITTO extreme drag radials and never looked back. Excellent on the curves and I can mat it from a standstill and its like a cat on carpet (if the tires are warm) otherwise it gives a satisfying 15-20' spin. It increases the fun factor 10x. Trade off is they need to b e replaced after only 4,000 miles. they will hydroplane about 5-7 mph slower than the PS2 usually around 60mph in heavy rain. btw 654rwhp/648tq Hope this helps.

GMX322V S/C
09-30-10, 03:13 PM
Talked to James at D3 yesterday to get an update on my car (fine tuning some things). Among other things, he told me they tweaked her to provide more of a "launch control" level of refinement. You guys know how drastic TC is when it cuts in, so it'll be interesting to see how it turned out.

He also told me about several techniques they're looking into for making the levels of HP some maniacs are targeting (let's just say more than double what I'm making) more usable--on the street or track. As he was rattling them off, it made me think of the safeguards put into jet fighters--pilot may have command authority over a huge performance envelope, but machine will try not to let you incapacitate yourself by initiating a 20g turn...

cbloveday
09-30-10, 03:39 PM
That is exciting news for the HP Junkies. It won't be long before 1200 hp is common place.

Luna.
09-30-10, 04:12 PM

That's exactly on my mind as well.

Tough call.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it is possible in my mind to have too much of a good thing.

This is why I'm in deep thought :suspect:

cbloveday
09-30-10, 06:05 PM
I think that if it is a good thing and used in moderation, it is not too much. Hey you can always revert back to stock. You'll never know until you try it.
Good luck with your dilema and whatever you decide, I hope it works for you.

Luna.
10-01-10, 08:26 PM
Anyone have any experience with this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRjt7DLXJXE

Razorecko
10-01-10, 09:40 PM
Race Logic is good stuff. The mkiv supra guys use it frequently to replace the dinky factory trac system. Because how turbo's work if you're modded it is very easy for some of these guys to loose traction at 100+ mph when a single GT series turbo hits boost, etc....Edit hence why the infamous 8-900hp supra's can barely get into the 9's. Yet on the highway they are king.