: Cadillac v.s. Audi... Cadillac held it's own...

sven914
09-28-10, 09:15 PM
I was driving home, in the rain, the other day, and was leading my usual procession of traffic. About 4 cars behind me, I saw this A5 crossing the double yellow to start passing the traffic. Nugent started playing on the radio and I stabbed the gas and in the 5 seconds it took for the engine to do anything, the A5 had come up next to me. The secondaries opened up just as he cut me off in the middle of an intersection, and I kept my foot on the throttle. I stayed glued to his bumper as the Audi topped out at 80.

Move for move, my Cadillac matched his Audi. I could see that the A5 driver had an iron clad, white knuckle, grip on the wheel. I was staring menacingly into his car while driving with one hand on the wheel and the other groping my beard. His eyes kept darting, nervously up to the rear view mirror; almost saying "How is this possible?" Nugent tuned into Nazareth, and the A5 lost me by threading the needle between a Caravan and a Garbage truck...

Point of this... I'm just so amazed at the agility of the Brougham. I personally noticed no difference in cornering at 80, over 40 or 50. I can't say why the Audi couldn't/ wouldn't go faster; if it wasn't handling as well or if the driver was incapable, I don't know, but he looked scared.

JamesC
09-28-10, 10:26 PM
All I have to say, if nothing was wrong with the Audi or it's driver, either way... this is hilarious in the most awesome way of course. Haha, take that Audi!

CBodyFan
09-28-10, 11:33 PM
Now, don't get me wrong, I despise people who illegally pass whether by crossing a double yellow line, which in NJ means a no-passing zone or passing in the shoulder of the road, which is a NJ sport and quite unnerving. In fact, I was coming home from work today, bumper-to-bumper traffic, and a woman in a Camry passed me and the car in front of me from the shoulder. Dangerous and illegal, so I understand being POed.

Is it, however, smart to try and accelerate and prevent the Audi from passing? Couldn't you have caused a head-on collision with a car in the opposing lane? Would that really be a good thing? I have had people drive slow and when I try to pass speed up so I can not pass. So I just fade back behind them and what do you know, they slow back down again. I don't get the whole game. When I am not interested in driving faster than the speed limit I stay in the right lane and let folks pass. If I happen to be in the left lane and a faster car approaches I pull into the right lane and let him pass. Sunday night coming home from my brothers a nitwit girl in an SUV tailgated me with her brights on rather than pass me. I was in the right lane on a THREE lane highway with plenty of space to pass, legally, to the left. But she found it more fun to torment me. I don't get this kill or be killed attitude these days. Maybe I am just getting old.

albymangled
09-29-10, 04:57 AM
"I could see that the A5 driver had an iron clad, white knuckle, grip on the wheel. I was staring menacingly into his car while driving with one hand on the wheel and the other groping my beard. His eyes kept darting, nervously up to the rear view mirror; almost saying "How is this possible?"

More likely the guy is thinking "WTF is this kid in the old Caddy playin' at?"

Racing another car at 80 mph in the rain with one hand on the wheel and the other groping your....

Sorry to burst your bubble here Sven but this is not commendable behaviour....

outsider
09-29-10, 07:48 AM
commendable behavior would have been to not let him get in infront of you! ;)

hehe, still a funny read

Cadillacboy
09-29-10, 10:58 AM
You behaved like a bimmer driver lol , that's really amazing I should say

Jesda
09-29-10, 02:20 PM
And then you woke up!

sven914
09-29-10, 05:16 PM
You behaved like a bimmer driver lol , that's really amazing I should say

Actually... I usually drive more like the stereotypical Cadillac owner (being the utmost considerate, just to keep people away from my car), but when some a**hole cuts me off or illegally blows past me, just because they think I don't have a car that can do anything about it; I sometimes feel the need to bring them down a peg. Most of the time I do let it go because they're an a**hole, who isn't worth my time, but I have been pissed enough to re-pass them, and then resume my regular slow pace, just to piss them off.

Just for the record, I do admit that my actions were stupid, but had there been oncoming traffic, I would not have tried to force the A5 to back down, and had I not been confident in my abilities as a driver or the abilities of the Cadillac to hold the road, I would not have pushed the issue.

Destroyer
09-29-10, 11:22 PM
LOL @ this ridiculously stupid thread!!!!:alchi:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-29-10, 11:28 PM
Yeah dude, I'm sure he was laughing at you all the way home. The A5 is world's quicker than an '89 Brougham, and sportier, and nimbler, etc etc etc... Now if he was driving a 1988 Audi 5000 Quattro, then the playing field would be a little more level...