: My Sister is Looking for a Cougar...

billc83
09-28-10, 08:43 PM
Last generation (2002) Mercury Cougar. Try to talk her out of it and offer an alternative? Or give her the green light?

Here's her deal: She's been on the other side of the country for a few years and her last car (Mitsubishi Eclipse) was totalled and she needs a new ride.

She sounds like she's kind of set, but I'll pass on what I can.

Is there anything major she needs to know about the last-gen Cougars? Major engine/transmission issues, etc.?

Budget is under $5K.
Wants relatively good mileage.
Wants it to be sporty, or at least be sporty in appearance.

hueterm
09-28-10, 08:56 PM
At least your brother isn't looking for a cougar.......

thebigjimsho
10-01-10, 10:40 PM
I'm looking for a cougar...

dkozloski
10-01-10, 10:46 PM
I haven't seen a cougar around here in over fifty years but we have more than enough wolves and grizzy bears to complete anybody's collection. There has been more than one report of Siberian tigers in Alaska in the Brooks range.

The-Dullahan
10-01-10, 11:24 PM
Palin warned us all, now I see what those crazy Russians were planning.

Jesda
10-02-10, 03:01 AM
LOL, I was hoping for an Alaska-related reply from DKoz :)

Cougars are decent cars. The automatics have issues. Get a manual and it'll do fine.

drewsdeville
10-02-10, 09:27 PM
Run away! Fast!

They are decent cars...then they work.

The Cougar is based on the ford Contour platform. This means that they handle incredibly well and they scoot down the road quickly when equipped with the V6.

They are a maintenance nightmare, however. The accessory drive is it's weak point. Anything the belt touches has an unusually high potential for failure.

To do ANY type of maintenance, the upper intake needs to be removed, inflating repair bills (this is assuming it's equipped with the Duratec). The Duratecs also eat timing chain tensioners, which is quite the project in FWD confugration.

Do you live in the rust belt? They are very suseptable to corrosion issues.

Overall, if you are curious enough to research, check up on the Ford Contour to gauge what you are getting into.

billc83
10-02-10, 10:25 PM
UPDATE

Thanks for all the advice, in spite of the...unfortunate thread title on my part.

According to her, the dealer was a douche bag (her words, not mine). She has since moved on to bigger and better things, which I will write about in a new thread here shortly.

To give a hint, Jesda would be proud!

Stingroo
10-02-10, 10:33 PM
I have a feeling her car shopping is going to turn into one giant Saab story.

The-Dullahan
10-03-10, 10:45 PM
:rimshot: