: 1995 Fleetwood Brougham Won't Start

bjlindsey
09-28-10, 08:41 PM
Sorry if this is a repeat post, but I have looked everywhere and haven't seen the exact same circumstances, so here goes.

Bought the car last February, drove it home, no problems. I believe car had been sitting for some time. Car sat in driveway for awhile, battery died. Replaced battery. Drove car for about 10 miles to test out A/C and when I returned home, I left car sitting in driveway idling for a few minutes. The car died while idling. I got the car restarted, albeit with some trouble. Next day, car would not start at all. Had it towed to mechanic, he replaced fuel pump, but not harness. I picked it up, drove it home. Tried to start car about 4 days later with no luck.

When turning key to on, fuel pump runs, fuel pressure rises to 10-12 psi, and then relay kicks off and pressure drops to 1-2 psi. repeating this over and over has same results. Went to buy a Fuel Pump Relay, but can't find it under the hood. (Help!) Car has approx. 1/3 tank of gas. Turns over briefly with starting fluid.

Relay? Pump? Harness? FPR? Anyone??

Thanks in advance!!!

outsider
09-29-10, 08:56 AM
1/3 tank of gas...these cars are notorious for the fuel gauges being wrong. When I first got mine, I thought I had over a quarter tank left and I ran out of gas...

I'd start there unless you know for a fact (IE: you just poured it in) that the car has gas.

turbojimmy
09-29-10, 12:29 PM
The fuel pressure shouldn't drop that quickly, and it sounds low at 10-12 PSI. Without vacuum, I'd think it would be in the 15+ PSI range. I'd first make sure you actually have fuel in the tank. It wouldn't be the fuel pump relay if the pump is running when you turn the key on.

bjlindsey
09-29-10, 02:11 PM
I finally got the car started, but it doesn't like to go much above idle unless you really feather it. That is in Park. I haven't tried to get it out on the road yet. With the car idling, fuel pressure still reads about 2-4 psi. Maybe it is the gauge? But it still doesn't respond to the accelerator pedal properly. Thanks for the idea, guys...keep 'em coming!!! It's my limo, and I have clients wanting to use it!!!

HUF
09-29-10, 02:37 PM
The fuel pressure way too low. Pull the vacuum line off the FPR while idling, see if there is any gas in the line or dripping from the nipple. There should be none.

bjlindsey
09-29-10, 02:44 PM
I'll try that!. Thanks!!

outsider
09-29-10, 02:45 PM
^ hehe...HUF said nipple...

that is all

turbojimmy
09-29-10, 04:23 PM
It's my limo, and I have clients wanting to use it!!!

What sort of limo? I'm looking at a '96 6-door on Friday. I hope to come home with it.

The behavior is consistent with a fuel delivery problem so I'd say the gauge is probably right. You either have a bad regulator or a clog somewhere between the tank and the FPR (fuel filter maybe?).

bjlindsey
09-29-10, 04:53 PM
6 Door (middle 2 Hidden) Funeral Coach with flip over middle seat. 32,000 miles.

Pulled the vacuum line off the FPR, no gas in the hose or dripping out of the, er, uh, nipple :rolleyes:

Gonna replace the fuel filter next. If that doesn't work, I guess my mechanic can pull the tank again!!

jayoldschool
09-29-10, 05:59 PM
You are supposed to have about 40psi on the LT1 engines. You sure that mechanic replaced the fuel pump?

bjlindsey
09-29-10, 06:34 PM
Yeah, he's a friend of mine. I guess the pump could have been a bad one. Not a Delco...off brand from Checker

turbojimmy
09-29-10, 07:39 PM
You are supposed to have about 40psi on the LT1 engines. You sure that mechanic replaced the fuel pump?

Yeah, I don't know where I came up with 16+. Brain fart. My Buick would idle at around 38 PSI vacuum off, and pick up 4 PSI when you took the vacuum off.

6 Door (middle 2 Hidden) Funeral Coach with flip over middle seat. 32,000 miles.

Sounds nice. The '96 I'm looking at on Friday is the same deal. The flip middle seat is very tough to come by. It's black on black leather, which was also a challenge to find. Dude wants too much money for it, but don't they all? I'm hope to settle on something reasonable.

Good luck with yours. You definitely have a fuel delivery problem. It's between the tank and the FPR.

bjlindsey
09-30-10, 02:36 PM
Is it possible that the FPR is stuck open?

csbuckn
09-30-10, 03:03 PM
If your pressure is at 12 and its supposed to be at 40, I would address that. Maybe the wrong pump is in there.

jayoldschool
09-30-10, 05:29 PM
Perhaps he put in a TBI pump, because that would be correct pressure for a TBI car. Also, ask him if he replaced the in-tank harness. A new pump comes with it, and the old one is very susceptible to oxidation/wear/arcing/brittleness.

bjlindsey
09-30-10, 09:36 PM
OK, so I went and beat on the FPR a little while car was idling to see if that would make something happen.....Nuttin!! Pulled vacuum line off, no leaks, has suction. Changed fuel filter. Tried key to on....no pressure. Figured line had air in it. Used some starting fluid to get it running....still virtually no pressure at idle and stumbles when trying to give it some gas. Seems to idle fine. When car is off and I turn the key, pump runs for 2 seconds, stops. Then I can hear fuel trickling back into tank.

Fuel pressure is NOT erratic...always between 0 and 12psi

Pump? (or
or
FPR?

Thanks in advance!!

bjlindsey
09-30-10, 10:44 PM
A little birdie just told me there is a bypass valve right there next to the fuel pump that could have go some gunk in it and is letting the fuel back into the tank. Make sense since I can hear it trickle back into the tank after I turn the key on and there is no pressure at the gauge!! Hmmmm.

Out comes the tank again!!

turbojimmy
10-01-10, 06:53 AM
A bad regulator could be letting the fuel return to the tank, too. That's how they regulate the pressure - by allowing fuel to return to the tank.

bjlindsey
10-03-10, 11:29 AM
Is there a way to test the FPR?

HUF
10-03-10, 04:56 PM
Ignition ON, pull the vacuum line off the FPR . There should not be any presence of gas.

bjlindsey
10-04-10, 12:02 AM
I've done the vacuum line...no gas!! Have we narrowed it to the pump itself or the overpressure (bypass) valve next to the pump?

csbuckn
10-04-10, 01:54 AM
I think you did enough testing to warrant dropping the tant again. Check the part number on the pump.

axe
10-06-10, 10:48 AM
This is probably a long shot, but are you certain that all fuel pump related electrical connectors are okay?

A few months ago I had a similar problem. When I had my foot on the brake pedal the car would either die or idle badly. It turned out that the connector on the driver side in the trunk for a the rear wiring going to the lightning + fuel pump was burned. This in turn caused a bad ground connection.

This is probably not your problem but wont hurt checking it out before dropping the tank again.

busterbruce
07-06-14, 09:39 PM
I have the same problem but my fuel pressure is around 40PSI it tried to start like it was running cause I had to rest the security system in my 6 door like you guys have wonderful car love it. So what is my problem II am getting spark. Fuel pressure reg no have pressure PCM

thefleetwoodguy
07-06-14, 11:00 PM
there was a run of fuel pump harnesses that were put together wrong! the 12+ and ground were reversed causing pump to run backwards I ran into this twice in the last 4 years not sure if its your issue since I haven't read all the posts in this thread , but if that fits your issues then that's the problem you can reverse the two leads if that's the issue.......