: 96 FWB Steering Vagueness

ft96
09-28-10, 07:19 PM
I don't expect this car to handle like its on rails and I definitly don't mind a bit of vagueness in my handling but on the highway (especially with a harsh Canadian winter coming) this car is becoming a bit too much of a handfull.
In town and at lower speeds the steering is fine, and I don't mind it at all. Its only on the highway where I can really start to feel it wonder, I'm continuously correcting this large wondering car.
Now I've read before that these cars came equipped with variable-assist power steering that would firm up at higher speeds.
Not sure if this is true
If so, this feature is definitly no longer operational on mine.
So is this the norm with everyone's car on the highway? Seems terriably wrong for a car best suited to long distance cruising.
Can anyone tell me their experiance with solutions to this lack-of-feel problem?
Thanks in advance.

outsider
09-28-10, 07:35 PM
I've never experienced anything like this but I would be interested in hearing possible solutions.

I can tell you that the 96 has variable assist steering and from what I've read you are correct in saying that the VAS will make your steering stiffer when going faster.

From what I've hear/read, there is only one connection going into the power steering pump, believe it is yellow, and if you unplug that you are in full assist mode. Maybe start by checking that connection to make sure it's still secure?

HUF
09-28-10, 08:19 PM
Check out the codes. You probably have 128. If something goes wrong with variable assist steering, it automatically turns to all time full assist. I do have 128 code, and yes it scared me a bit when I was first driving it to home, but I got used to it.

sven914
09-28-10, 09:29 PM
Have you had the alignment checked? Do your tires have irregular wear?

Cadillacboy
09-29-10, 11:52 AM
I have noticed that handling is getting worse namely in windy weathers , handling is not my paramount concern but I feel no difference in steering wheel as I go faster

ft96
10-01-10, 12:41 PM
Ya maybe the connection came loose, well hopefully its that simple.
Thanks for the replys