: hubcap key

77-79 Cadillac
09-28-10, 05:49 PM
Where can I find a hubcap key/wrench for my Flleetwood? I just bought the car and the key didn't come with it. John

HUF
09-28-10, 08:25 PM
what year?

jayoldschool
09-28-10, 09:57 PM
You need to match it by colour. Look carefully at the top of the bolts after you take the crest off, and see if you can see the paint colour. If you happen to need a green, I'll loan you mine...

sven914
09-28-10, 10:32 PM
Go to the junkyard and start checking glove boxes and trunks...

If that doesn't turn up anything, you can take the lock part out and replace it with a regular nut. For added security, you could use a 4, 8, or 12 point nus, which will throw off anyone using a standard 6-point socket set.

RippyPartsDept
09-28-10, 10:54 PM
green is the most common... the letter of the color will also be stamped into the face of the 'lock' in case it gets rusty/oxidized and you can't see the color

dealer prices on these aren't too bad either

1980coupe
09-29-10, 01:12 AM
Where can I find a hubcap key/wrench for my Flleetwood? I just bought the car and the key didn't come with it. John

what year fleetwood?
some locks are through the hubcap on both sides on the outer edges, like mine are, but mine is a coupe.
junkyards is your best chance of finding them, or dealer (that's where I got mine years back when I had the red center crest with lock in the middle) or take a screwdriver or ice pick and tap the nut to where it turns and it comes off, did that too before I got the hubcap key at dealer and it worked.
G/L

csbuckn
09-29-10, 01:27 AM
I have a red one for sale on the first page of the parts for sale section, you can see if its your pattern. But I want to say it wont be the right one because it came from either 87, 88 or 90 broughams

77-79 Cadillac
09-29-10, 11:06 AM
Ok it's a 77 Fleetwood, it has 2 locks on each side of the hubcap. My local GM dealer can't get them. It's like a diamond or a square with half circles all the way around it. John

77-79 Cadillac
09-29-10, 11:13 AM
I don't see any color or letter on the lock.

outsider
09-29-10, 12:09 PM
i believe my '87 uses red.

77-79 Cadillac
10-05-10, 03:26 PM
YOU ARE GOING TO LAUGH after a week of stress and trying to find a hudcap wrench, calling GM deals going to wrecking yards and talking to tire shops, with no luck. I grabbed hudcap hammer and pried on the hudcap and it popped right off. The lock is just cosmetic, no locks on them.:alchi:

outsider
10-05-10, 03:35 PM
^ LOL that's funny. Those must not be the original ones or something? Never heard of hubcaps with fake locks :D

RippyPartsDept
10-05-10, 06:51 PM
makes sense if there wasn't a letter stamped into them, since every single lock i've seen has it's color letter stamped into the face (G for green, R for red, etc)

sven914
10-05-10, 10:00 PM
YOU ARE GOING TO LAUGH after a week of stress and trying to find a hudcap wrench, calling GM deals going to wrecking yards and talking to tire shops, with no luck. I grabbed hudcap hammer and pried on the hudcap and it popped right off. The lock is just cosmetic, no locks on them.:alchi:

The wire wheels used on late '70's to early '80's models had no lock... After '85, the wire wheel hubcaps had a lock under the red center cap. There may be ways to modify the locking hubcaps to hold the rim with out the lock-nut, but I wouldn't imagine it to be too secure.

RippyPartsDept
10-05-10, 11:02 PM
oh yeah, i totally forgot that... GM didn't anticipate how much people would want to steal the wire spoke hubcaps so by popular demand by cadillac owners the locks were added

csbuckn
10-05-10, 11:32 PM
There may be ways to modify the locking hubcaps to hold the rim with out the lock-nut, but I wouldn't imagine it to be too secure.
It's just as secure, the locking nut just pops right out and you just pop in a regular nut. No damage and you can put the lock nut back if you want. I take those lock nuts off as soon as I see them.

creeker
10-05-10, 11:47 PM
I looked up wheel locks for 77 fltwd and 80 dev,. it does look like they are an after market product as the are made by dorman with no g.m. part numbers, also the key
does not look like the one I have for my 80 cdv. ,. the key I have is a t-handle,,
the one on rock auto looks like a socket.

1980coupe
10-06-10, 01:04 AM
The wire wheels used on late '70's to early '80's models had no lock... After '85, the wire wheel hubcaps had a lock under the red center cap. There may be ways to modify the locking hubcaps to hold the rim with out the lock-nut, but I wouldn't imagine it to be too secure.

mine is an 80 coupe (key wrench is red) and I also own a 78 and a 79 and all 3 models do have locks, 2 on either side, and all 3 have a wrench key to lock or unlock them and all 3 are different. So you saying that late 70s and early 80s had no locks you are mistaken as I do have them on mine. After a certain year, the locks were moved to the center, so you had to remove the crest which was snapped in and popped off to gain access to the lock. Then, the centers popped off which were the ones with the crest and wreath with the red backround color.

1980coupe
10-06-10, 01:11 AM

it is not cosmectic; might be now but at one point it did have them and the hooks were cut off as a precaution if the key was lost, which eventually it was, to easily remove them. Mine has a red sticker on my wrench key and I have 2 and plus have another set of 8 locks that I came across at the yard few years back, same as the ones on my 80coupe. Should I need to replace a damage wire hubcap and it has no locks, I have these extras or take them from the damaged one. ☺

1980coupe
10-06-10, 01:14 AM
I looked up wheel locks for 77 fltwd and 80 dev,. it does look like they are an after market product as the are made by dorman with no g.m. part numbers, also the key
does not look like the one I have for my 80 cdv. ,. the key I have is a t-handle,,
the one on rock auto looks like a socket.

those are probably for the rims, the ones that look like sockets. I believe on my window sticker for my caddy it has a part number for the wire hubcaps with locks. Have to check but pretty sure it does have as it was an available option.
Here's the window sticker price with options, I red arrowed to ease finding it. Apologize if it's big.
http://i56.tinypic.com/1zovlsk.jpg

77-79 Cadillac
10-06-10, 11:36 AM
thanks for checking this out, can I get locks and a key for the hubcaps? They are nice, hate to lose one. BTW still kicking my self over this one. John

sven914
10-06-10, 12:40 PM
mine is an 80 coupe (key wrench is red) and I also own a 78 and a 79 and all 3 models do have locks, 2 on either side, and all 3 have a wrench key to lock or unlock them and all 3 are different. So you saying that late 70s and early 80s had no locks you are mistaken as I do have them on mine. After a certain year, the locks were moved to the center, so you had to remove the crest which was snapped in and popped off to gain access to the lock. Then, the centers popped off which were the ones with the crest and wreath with the red backround color.

Where are the locks then? Are they actually apart of the hubcap, or can they be removed and swapped to another set of wire wheels?

I've only known the earlier wire wheel caps to be pry off and have never seen a locking mechanism in one. If you have a picture, please post it.

csbuckn
10-06-10, 12:59 PM
I gotta admit, I dont know what locks yall are talking about either.

creeker
10-06-10, 10:48 PM
thanks for checking this out, can I get locks and a key for the hubcaps? They are nice, hate to lose one. BTW still kicking my self over this one. John

Their sold on rockauto.com.

cadillac_al
10-07-10, 12:16 AM

I knew somebody would clear this up. I've been working long hours lately and haven't had the energy to type. If this thread is still alive next week with no pics, then I'll take some. I like the spoked hubcaps on my 78 Coupe but I haven't found the key to the locks yet. I just happened to notice them only a couple weeks ago. They aren't too noticeable. I wonder how many different keys they made for them?

RippyPartsDept
10-07-10, 12:37 AM
not that many, pop the emblem cap in the center off and check the color of the lock or for the stamped letter on the face of the lock if you can't tell what color it is

creeker
10-07-10, 12:37 AM
I knew somebody would clear this up. I've been working long hours lately and haven't had the energy to type. If this thread is still alive next week with no pics, then I'll take some. I like the spoked hubcaps on my 78 Coupe but I haven't found the key to the locks yet. I just happened to notice them only a couple weeks ago. They aren't too noticeable. I wonder how many different keys they made for them?

I just came in from unlocking a few of my locks,I dont think it would take much to undo them with say a screw driver, it took very little energy to move them,
counter clockwise with a 90 degree turn.

1980coupe
10-07-10, 03:28 AM
Where are the locks then? Are they actually apart of the hubcap, or can they be removed and swapped to another set of wire wheels?

I've only known the earlier wire wheel caps to be pry off and have never seen a locking mechanism in one. If you have a picture, please post it.

Here's some pics, sorry for the brightness but I just took 'em right now and sorry for the dirtiness too. thery're on the edges. I'll take a pic of the back showing hooks later today.
http://i51.tinypic.com/172rg1.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/5vq0at.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/4v60rp.jpg
and my two key wrenches
http://i55.tinypic.com/whfaiw.jpg
to answer your questions, yes they are part of the hubcap as seen in the pics and yes you can remove them to another. I did that when I banged up one really bad, so I found me a nice one at the JY and I held the lock with vise grips to prevent it from turning and I used a 10 or 11 open wrench to remove the nut securing it and I removed mine from the damaged one and placed them on the other; simple.

1980coupe
10-07-10, 04:01 AM
I gotta admit, I dont know what locks yall are talking about either.

see pics that I uploaded.

77-79 Cadillac
10-07-10, 11:12 AM
Here's some pics, sorry for the brightness but I just took 'em right now and sorry for the dirtiness too. thery're on the edges. I'll take a pic of the back showing hooks later today.
http://i51.tinypic.com/172rg1.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/5vq0at.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/4v60rp.jpg
and my two key wrenches
http://i55.tinypic.com/whfaiw.jpg
to answer your questions, yes they are part of the hubcap as seen in the pics and yes you can remove them to another. I did that when I banged up one really bad, so I found me a nice one at the JY and I held the lock with vise grips to prevent it from turning and I used a 10 or 11 open wrench to remove the nut securing it and I removed mine from the damaged one and placed them on the other; simple.

Can you show a picture of the inside of the hubcap to see what the lock looks like?

RippyPartsDept
10-07-10, 04:37 PM
ah, that's the other style that i've rarely seen... we've got those wrenches but we never use them

i forgot about this style and was thinking of the ones in the center only

csbuckn
10-07-10, 05:05 PM
Never seen those before.

sven914
10-08-10, 12:29 AM
The ones I've seen must have had the locks removed... But if the hubcaps stay on without the locks, then they really aren't locking hubcaps ("locking" suggesting an automatic lock or mandatory locking of the cap to the wheel). I would consider that more of a lockable hubcap; one that has the option to be locked but doesn't have to be. The ones used after '85 were actually held on by the locking mechanism, and can't be used unless you have the brass cap on the rim and there is some way or locking the hubcap (whether with the key or with a spare nut).

1980coupe
10-10-10, 10:51 PM
The ones I've seen must have had the locks removed... But if the hubcaps stay on without the locks, then they really aren't locking hubcaps ("locking" suggesting an automatic lock or mandatory locking of the cap to the wheel). I would consider that more of a lockable hubcap; one that has the option to be locked but doesn't have to be. The ones used after '85 were actually held on by the locking mechanism, and can't be used unless you have the brass cap on the rim and there is some way or locking the hubcap (whether with the key or with a spare nut).
mine stay on and I do not have to lock them but I do cause you just don't know if it'll fly off when struck up against curb or theft. I haven't posted a pic of the back side yet but will shortly.
I know of the ones you mentioned, I had those on my 80coupe for awhile and yes without the brass cap on the rim you can not keep them on. But I got rid of those since those were not correct for my car.

brougham
10-11-10, 02:46 AM
Locking hubcaps just means it has some way of locking it to the wheel.

1980coupe
10-18-10, 11:12 PM
Can you show a picture of the inside of the hubcap to see what the lock looks like?

so sorry bout the late reply, been really busy but here are the pics of the back showing the hooks for the locks
http://i53.tinypic.com/b4867b.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/igd894.jpg

77-79 Cadillac
11-16-10, 05:01 PM
Sorry, been busy working. I think the hooks on my caps have been shaved off, the nut is there but no hooks. Can I get new locks or hooks???

1980coupe
11-16-10, 11:57 PM
Sorry, been busy working. I think the hooks on my caps have been shaved off, the nut is there but no hooks. Can I get new locks or hooks???

you know, I saw on ebay a complete set of NOS locks; 2 per bag, 4 bags. Didn't come with the key though. Maybe they're still listed.
I searched "cadillac nos" but you may want to add maybe the word locks to narrow it down or hubcap locks. Good luck.

1980coupe
11-17-10, 02:37 AM

found the link but they have been sold already.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970S-CADILLAC-NOS-WHEEL-COVER-LOCKS-PT-3634438-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b653050eQQitemZ17056 2618638QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries