: A/C Trouble

smjander
09-13-04, 10:45 PM
Hello everybody,
I just bought a 1986 Fleetwood Brougham. Its a beautiful car and I have never enjoyed driving that much.

The only problem I have with the car is that the A/C is not working properly. When I start the car, the AC works ok for maybe 5 minutes, the compressor kicks in and it cools down. When I continue to drive, the compressor suddenly does not engage anymore and the ac only blows warm air. When I park the car for some time and start it again, the same thing happens. The AC initially works but quits after a couple of minutes.
I already topped up R12. The only result is that it initially gets colder, but still after 5 minutes it quits....

Ay idea what could be wrong?

Thanks, Stefan

luddyludwick
09-13-04, 11:15 PM
I remember when that happened to the '85...but don't remember what it was! Did you check to see if the clutch is engaging/disengaging?

Bruce

smjander
09-13-04, 11:33 PM
Thanks Bruce,

what I can see when looking at the compressor is that initially the part in the middle of the compressor turns (I guess that is the clutch), but as soon as I have driven for some time it does not turn anymore.

Thanks, Stefan

smjander
09-15-04, 09:51 PM
Hi everybody, is there nobody who as an idea what could be wrong? I really ned your help. Thanks

AElayyat
09-16-04, 01:07 AM
To me it sounds like one of two things:
1) Your A/C compressor is going bad or 2) Low freon

Now if you have low freon that means that you have a leak somewhere in the A/C system and if thats the case then you NEED to repair the leak first then have the system toped off.

I would take the car to a shop that you trust and qualified in A/C repair to inspect your A/C system. Good luck and keep us posted.

smjander
09-17-04, 08:54 PM
Thanks. I jope its not the compressor...... I will keep you posted. Stefan

carnut
09-18-04, 02:14 AM
on the receiver drier is a pressure switch. could be faulty. try by passing that switch with a jumper wire. i also reccommed reading the pressures, could be over or under filled which would disengage the compressor thru the protective sensors present on this car. report back with the diagnosis

smjander
09-18-04, 11:44 AM
Thanks Carnut, I will have it checked early next week and once I know more I will let you know. Thanks agan for our help.