: A/C Trouble

09-13-04, 09:45 PM
Hello everybody,
I just bought a 1986 Fleetwood Brougham. Its a beautiful car and I have never enjoyed driving that much.

The only problem I have with the car is that the A/C is not working properly. When I start the car, the AC works ok for maybe 5 minutes, the compressor kicks in and it cools down. When I continue to drive, the compressor suddenly does not engage anymore and the ac only blows warm air. When I park the car for some time and start it again, the same thing happens. The AC initially works but quits after a couple of minutes.
I already topped up R12. The only result is that it initially gets colder, but still after 5 minutes it quits....

Ay idea what could be wrong?

Thanks, Stefan

09-13-04, 10:15 PM
I remember when that happened to the '85...but don't remember what it was! Did you check to see if the clutch is engaging/disengaging?

09-13-04, 10:33 PM
Thanks Bruce,

what I can see when looking at the compressor is that initially the part in the middle of the compressor turns (I guess that is the clutch), but as soon as I have driven for some time it does not turn anymore.

Thanks, Stefan

09-15-04, 08:51 PM
Hi everybody, is there nobody who as an idea what could be wrong? I really ned your help. Thanks

09-16-04, 12:07 AM
To me it sounds like one of two things:
1) Your A/C compressor is going bad or 2) Low freon

Now if you have low freon that means that you have a leak somewhere in the A/C system and if thats the case then you NEED to repair the leak first then have the system toped off.

I would take the car to a shop that you trust and qualified in A/C repair to inspect your A/C system. Good luck and keep us posted.

09-17-04, 07:54 PM
Thanks. I jope its not the compressor...... I will keep you posted. Stefan

09-18-04, 01:14 AM
on the receiver drier is a pressure switch. could be faulty. try by passing that switch with a jumper wire. i also reccommed reading the pressures, could be over or under filled which would disengage the compressor thru the protective sensors present on this car. report back with the diagnosis

09-18-04, 10:44 AM
Thanks Carnut, I will have it checked early next week and once I know more I will let you know. Thanks agan for our help.