: Whats the Best leather Cleaner and Conditioner products for my STS Cadillac

DauroT
09-28-10, 02:39 PM
I was thinking of using Mothers brand name products any suggestions or bad experiences..please let me know.

Thanks

next2pool
09-28-10, 02:45 PM
I was thinking of using Mothers brand name products any suggestions or bad experiences..please let me know.

Thanks

Part of this may depend on whether you want to keep or bring back the leather smell when you clean or treat the seats. I do and use the cleaner and conditioner form Griots. However, in the hot AZ temps, I notice a definite film build-up on the inside of the windows that is an absolute PITA to get off.

DauroT
09-28-10, 02:52 PM
Part of this may depend on whether you want to keep or bring back the leather smell when you clean or treat the seats. I do and use the cleaner and conditioner form Griots. However, in the hot AZ temps, I notice a definite film build-up on the inside of the windows that is an absolute PITA to get off.

I would like to keep that leather..smell..the seats are real nice right now but I want them to stay that way...so hows Mothers in your opinion or anything else you suggest

jedhead
09-28-10, 03:00 PM
I like to use Zylmol's cleaner and conditioner best. I have also used Lexol but I don't like the sticky film like touch until it dries.

Bob

lreddiablo
09-28-10, 04:32 PM
I recently used Macguires, but didn't help restore the leather smell, but condition the seat look nice. I had the leather smell great in my '05 car till I had some work done on my car, now it smells like armpit in the heat. Not sure where that smell is coming from. Anyone know what I should try to get rid of that? What is the best cleaner to restore my new car leather smell?

caddyfat2
09-28-10, 07:54 PM
Look for Leatherique on the sidebar for this product is the best for leather BAR NONE.
( I have been using it for years with wonderful results). www.leatherique.com

DBeaSST
09-29-10, 07:55 AM
I use Lexol and am pretty happy with it. I've found it works best if you put the conditioner on the seats and let them sit overnight so the conditioners can be absorbed. Then, if needed (which it usually isn't) I wipe the seats with a clean towel to remove any residue.

next2pool
09-29-10, 12:14 PM
Look for Leatherique on the sidebar for this product is the best for leather BAR NONE.

Looks like an interesting company--may have to try some of that next time.

Greg00coupe
09-29-10, 12:18 PM
My wife had an Acura a few years back and we thought the leather was detoriating. I used every thing I had in stock and could not budge the soiled seat. Dealer had ordered a replacement seat. When she took it in to be replaced he asked if he could try Lexoil on it. It worked great and I've been a customer ever since. Turned out it was dye from her jeans.

Pjazz
09-29-10, 10:53 PM
I used Armor All Leather cleaning wipes. They worked pretty good. I had a black mark on my tan seat and it rubbed right off with them.

lreddiablo
09-30-10, 12:59 AM
My leather came out looking great with just MacGuires leather cleaner, but didn't restore that great leather smell. Which of these suggested products can bring back that wonderful smell?

caddyfat2
09-30-10, 08:23 AM
Leatherique is ALL you will ever need for your leather needs, it has truely the best leather products that i've ever used. Try the pristine clean and the rejuvenator. They will work wonders.A little pricey but worth it.

ROF08STS
09-30-10, 09:41 AM
I am a Meguiars fan also, recently tried the Wipes, seem to do the job so far, leather smell is pretty much gone after two years. The biggest problem I have found and perhaps others can speak to this, with the cream type products getting the excess out of the preforated leather areas, I have a black/black '08 STS, still have residue that shows in the peforations in some areas. Anybody else found a solution for this ??

caddyfat2
09-30-10, 10:33 AM
After applying your conditioner or whatever is your last step,try using a small soft bristle brush and then buff your leather and that should do the trick.

Bigdawg58
09-30-10, 05:45 PM
Check out Zaino there leather cleaner and leather in a bottle can't be beat!

CTBB
10-03-10, 11:28 AM
+1 for Leatherique. Outstanding results. Hardest part was keeping the seatbelts away from the rejuvinator oil, and keeping the oil off the velour/cloth parts bordering the leather. Much superior to the other products mentioned, and I've tried them all. Front driver seat required multiple treatments and cleaning to get all the denim blue out of the cushion. Amazing to see how much filth comes out!:cloud9:

Glenn

bbshriver
10-04-10, 01:31 PM

Looks like an interesting company--may have to try some of that next time.

Leatherique is ALL you will ever need for your leather needs, it has truely the best leather products that i've ever used. Try the pristine clean and the rejuvenator. They will work wonders.A little pricey but worth it.

+1 for Leatherique. Outstanding results. Hardest part was keeping the seatbelts away from the rejuvinator oil, and keeping the oil off the velour/cloth parts bordering the leather. Much superior to the other products mentioned, and I've tried them all. Front driver seat required multiple treatments and cleaning to get all the denim blue out of the cushion. Amazing to see how much filth comes out!:cloud9:

Glenn

Another whole-hearted plug for Leatherique. If you e-mail them you'll likely get response from the owner/founder of the company. They know leather and car projects. It's not just another product line, they restore their own family cars and such too.

I came accross the stuff in a classic Jaguar forum, and encountered again through the Rolls Royce owners club (my dad owns 2 Bentleys). To me a leather product that has the endorsement of the Rolls-Royce owners club is pretty much top of the heap.

caddyfat2
10-04-10, 07:34 PM
About 4 years ago I purchased a 92 Cadillac Allante pearl white in pristine condition with 50k miles on it. The only thing was the car was a garage queen an sat for long period so the leather turned hard like cardboard but was not cracked nor worn. The product that I speak of bought the leather back to soft supple like brand new leather again. It worked miracles believe you me the stuff is GOOD.

CTBB
10-05-10, 11:08 AM
Congratulations on both of your "finds" !! Leatherique, and the Allante. Got any pics posted?

Just have to comment here on something I found amusing as I recuperated from treating all 3 of my cars. This being my first American car, first V8, and first Cadillac.......The seats are HUGE!! :yup:

Glenn

caddyfat2
10-05-10, 11:29 AM
Sorry no pic's and I sold the Allante for my STS.( But I really miss her and wish I had her back. That car was awsome, and had the pearl white hardtop to boot.)

jimmbo
10-06-10, 09:38 AM
Leather, great for womens underwear, but velour, like in the late 70s early 80s is much nicer for seats. warmer in winter, cooler and doesn't stick in summer, and doesn't require constant care.

caddyfat2
10-06-10, 10:32 AM
Leather, great for womens underwear, but velour, like in the late 70s early 80s is much nicer for seats. warmer in winter, cooler and doesn't stick in summer, and doesn't require constant care.

I have seat heaters and ventilation so you can just throw that one out the window>.

jimmbo
10-06-10, 08:32 PM
error

jimmbo
10-06-10, 08:34 PM
I have seat heaters and ventilation so you can just throw that one out the window>.

I've got the heaters(never use it) and the fans too! I just think the velour looks and feels much more luxurious. Leather looks alot like the cheap tacky vinyl seats from the 60s, doesn't feel much different either.

caddyfat2
10-06-10, 10:29 PM
I quess to each their own but those big sofa seats of the 70's, 80's and 90's were awfully comfortable.

EChas3
10-06-10, 10:47 PM

^^^ Truth!

I special ordered my '93 Roadmaster with cloth seats. They still looked good after 225,000 miles. Cool in Summer and warm in Winter. Even heated seats take a while to warm and cooled seat take a while to cool. Where are the animal rights wackos when their position actually makes some sense?

caddyfat2
10-07-10, 10:17 AM
^^^ Truth!

I special ordered my '93 Roadmaster with cloth seats. They still looked good after 225,000 miles. Cool in Summer and warm in Winter. Even heated seats take a while to warm and cooled seat take a while to cool. Where are the animal rights wackos when their position actually makes some sense?

They are somewhere riding around in luxury cars with leather seats LOL

mckellyb
05-23-11, 02:51 PM
Old thread, I know, but I've recently been down the leather cleaning/conditioning path.

Lexol for cleaning and Leather Honey for conditioning. Truly amazing stuff, honestly.

I have a reveiw on Amazon under "Leather Honey", if you're curious. Budget a decent amount of time to do it properly, i.e. don't do it after you get home from work. It's a weekend job.

Lifer
05-24-11, 12:12 PM
The leather in your cars today, except suede, is a sealed surface. Here is what Leatherique recommends and I swear by it.
1. On a hot summer day, when the interior of you car is going to get HOT, really HOT, put a liberal amount of Leatherique Rejuventator Oil on all leather serfaces, taking care to really soak the seams and stiching, which is where the product wil get soaked into the leather. Shut the doors with all windows cloased and leave it all day. Let is cook. The oil will soak into the leather and will work into all the grime. It takes time and heat, so be patient.

2. After the day begins to cool, perhaps evening, open the car and spray opn Leatherique Prestine Cleaner and start towling it off. All the dirt and grease and smutz is going to come up and the seats will be soft and clean. Work the cleaner a bit as needed, and buff the clean seats with a dry towel, and you will find that the seats come really clean and are much "healthier" now. Do this twice a year and your seats will last the life of the car.

With the ventilated or perforated seats I never had an issue with using Leatherique. Take your time, work the product as the instructions say, and use it twice a year.

CTBB
05-24-11, 12:19 PM
+1 on the Leatherique. Far superior to anything else I've tried, and official recommendation by Rolls. That's good enough for me!

Glenn